How can we improve the Education offerings?

Don't get rid of the desktop version of OneNote

I am a teacher and the App version of OneNote doesn't come close to the functionality of the desktop version. The constant loading of the different pages wastes valuable time a teach doesn't have to waste.

PLEASE, PLEASE make a OneNote 2019 desktop version!!!

124 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jodi Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another feature that the desktop version has that is invaluable to a teacher is the ability to Distribute Pages to Specific Students instead of the whole class. This helps with the distribution of differentiated materials and I differentiate a ton! Distributing those pages individually leads to an equitable classroom culture. I can state "Everyone open your quiz/bellwork/reading tab and complete your assignment" and no one feels singled out that their work is different (I teach middle school and being singled out is always an issue!).

• Dean Garza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in total agreement. Especially being able to connect the desktop (onenote 2016) app to my Teams as well as copying entire sections to other notebooks is a feature not on the web version!

• Kami Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a teacher at a Microsoft school. I have moved my entire curriculum into OneNote. The desktop version is superior to the online version. Please update the desktop version!

• Sarah Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! Please don't get rid of the Desktop Version. As a teacher at a Microsoft school, we use OneNote all the time! The App doesn't come close to comparing to the desktop features.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the desktop version had a very valuable feature to extract text from PDF. it was useful for me while studying. maths function was another easy tool while in one note desktop. there so many features that are missing. I feel we need to progress (meaning go forward). not the other way. I think Microsoft has underestimated their own one of the best creations. please immediately release onenote 2016.

• John G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Neither does it handle file attachments properly. 2016 opens attached Word files easily: W10 app downloads then (often unsuccessfully). Microsoft have made a big mistake here. They should have backed the Office version- at least for teachers. The App may be fine for everyone else, but 2016 was a)familiar b)consistent c)worked properly. The app is also too cluttered- once your notebook navigation, sections and pages are open, there's no room left to work. Microsoft need to look at Cognitive Load Theory- Specifically- extraneous load.- instead of nonsense like learning styles, then have a long hard look at how they've designed their education products.

• Nicholas Tufaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The app version does not integrate with other Office products. For instance, if you open up a meeting in Outlook, you can just click on the button for taking Notes with OneNote and OneNote 2016 would create a space within an existing OneNote book, section and page.
    OneNote web/app doesn't do that. It also doesn't allow you to print to it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote is missing way too many features including converting to PDF options. Please develop the App version more and provide legacy features we use daily.

• Amanda Ruhe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The class notebook and learning tools feature have been the biggest draw to using onenote with my students. Please don't lose these features in the transition.

• Andrea Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The app version does not support Dictation found in Learning Tools!!! This is a must for Special Education and English Learners

• Mr Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new win 10 version is much slicker to use and remove sync issues with online notebooks but there are also too many missing features.

• Monica Alicea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The App version also does not let us distribute different pages to different students. Differentiation is a huge part of our job! The look of the desktop version is neat and organized. It is so much better that the online and app version.

Feedback and Knowledge Base