How can we improve the Education offerings?

Cross Notebook Distribution

OneNote needs to have all of the Cross Notebook Distribution options that OneNote 2016 has. Right now, I teach three different sections of the same course. In OneNote, I have to make a copy of the same page in each notebook and distribute the same page three times. In 2016, I only had to make the page once and could distribute it to all three class sections that I have. OneNote 2016 also allows you to make student groups, which is awesome for differentiation. OneNote does not have this option. To me, this is a GAPING hole in the app.

109 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rob Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mike - work faster!
        In Australia we are nearing the end of the teaching year, with days post-students dedicated to prep for the 2019 school year. As the Information Technology Staff Coach, I need to know which product direction I should encourage. A master domain notebook with cross-notebook distribution to individual class notebooks is vital. Thanks.

• Mr Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Options for marking cross notebook and marking of subsections also need to be added for those of us that have created structures and workflows that rely on the functionality of onenote2016

• Andi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Onenote is a app for nootebook Distribution is indispensablefor make the page in at the follow for best class and distribution in the diferentiation. this is OneNote.
        Make a New Dream

• John Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking to change from OneNote 2016 to the OneNote App, but the fact that the OneNote App does not have Cross Notebook Distribution and distribute to individual students is a bit problematic in transitioning now.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any updates? no cross notebook distribution is getting old very fast. (on non onenote 2016 versions)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes yes yes. There is no function currently available in OneNote 2016 that should not be available in the OneNote app. Similar is not enough; they have to have it all. I would prioritize cross-notebook distribution, distributing pages to individual students and/or groups, using page templates, and recording video, but every teacher in my division is going to have different needs and desires. It all has to be there.

• Laurence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The App sucks. What will happen is everything that was good about the 2016 version with the add in will be 'rationalised' out, and we'll be left with a more streamlined app, and the assignments functionality in Teams replacing the various distribution facilities that made OneNote worth using for resources. As time has gone by, its clear that a purely digital way of working is wrong. I have re formatted all my content libraries to A4 so that they can be printed out, because either students don't read them, or they find it hard to flip between reference material and do work. The reference needs to be alongside the work area. With the Apps left-aligned navigation, the work area is impossibly small. If you look into cognitive load theory, (which I'd be suprised if anyone at MS has even heard of) you'll find that OneNote ticks lots of the boxes for what you shouldn't do. Digital inking is all very well, but there's no evidence that its any better than a pen and paper- at least with a pen and paper you're not relying on having a stylus that works. The new cheaper SurfaceGo doesn't even come with a stylus! Teachers need reliability, and stability- with all the changes (and outages) that keep happening, we're rapidly going off OneNote.

• Dawn Martin39 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree and sometimes all of the notebooks do not appear. That or that are unable to sync. Perhaps, the option to merge entire OneNote Notebooks would be nice. Especially, since the merging of all Microsoft accounts have been merged(in most cases into a single account).

Feedback and Knowledge Base