How can we improve the Education offerings?

learning tools reading math symbols

We would like to use OneNote to read math tests except it doesn't seem to read the math symbols from a PDF document using the immersive reader.

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shannon Davenport shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be tremendous if Dictate could recognize math terminology and create expressions for students. E.g., square root of 9 equals 3 would create the expression, rather than the terminology/verbatim text. Maybe as part of a language option?

Thank you! You folks do tremendous work!

• Andrea Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would actually add to this. The dictation in learning tools needs to be able to write equations.

I have a student who has Dyspraxia, which makes it so they can't use his hands to write.

I am trying to set the student up in Win10 with OneNote 2016 so they can stop using Dragon and use the windows system as an accessibility tool. Works great for most things; however, I can't seem to get math to work.

The student is in Algebra 2 and I thought they would be able to use the insert equation feature with either the dictation software in OneNote learning tools (which is one of the best I have found) or with the speech recognition in Win10; however, I have not been successful in using either.

Ideally the student would be able to just speak an equation like any of the examples below, with the understanding he would have to memorize a list of commands.

Students need the equal access to:
        work with formulas like the quadratic formula
        Solving formulas in multiline format for X or Y
        Graph
        complete homework in higher math classes

Feedback and Knowledge Base