How can we improve the Education offerings?

Allow parent access to individual student's Notebook

At the moment, only the teacher and the individual student have access to each student's Notebook. Parents will often ask about their child's progress and what they are specifically doing in class but are not able to see for themselves.

I am not sure of the best way to implement this but either allow the teacher the ability to add outside users or allow an individual student the ability to add someone themselves.

I am able to share my Notebook with outside users but it only allows access to my section. I want to be able to allow parent X to be able to see the Notebook of student X.

98 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fantastic work. Can we please get a commitment to ensure parity between Class Notebooks and Classroom? We are using the Classroom product and had assumed it would be the default platform for education, however it seems to be Class Notebooks poor, underperforming cousin

• CWBCWB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Parents can see their own child's work on Edmodo and Schoology - why can't they see it on OneNote? I want to differentiate work for a student, but the parent won't be able to see what I'm doing to help the student in question.
        I agree that they should be able to view only, although if they are working with the student they can do it from there anyway.

• Dominic SmithDominic Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jackie, I agree that a student can share or log in for the parent. However, in today's world privacy is important. I teach my students to not share their login info period. It would be nice if the student could directly share their OneNote pages with guardian, mom or dad. This would make OneNote a much better e-portfolio tool.

• JackieJackie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If parents want to see what students are doing, couldn't they just ask the student to log them in? This is absolutely no different to asking Suzie to get her exercise book out of her school bag.

• Eliot AttridgeEliot Attridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful and avoid one of the biggest issues of One Note compared to an exercise book. Parents cannot see what a student has done. When parents have access (but not editing rights, that is important- just viewing rights) they will be able to see what is taking place in the classroom.

Ideally this would mean being able to add parents in a similar way to adding students. The main issue would be that they would not have a domain address (or possibly even a MS email). Being able to add the official parental email is key.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I teach some students who require learning support and would like to be able to share individual students notebooks, along with the content library with their teacher aides. They do not require access to the entire class notebooks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base