Education

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Distribute read only pages in ClassNotebook

I want to distribute my evalutations of the students in Class Notebook, that I later can update during the school year so my students always can see how they perform in the curriculum. I've thought of doing a template that I can distribute to the students notebooks and then update them accordingly. However, it is (of course) essential that these pages is read only for the students. Please make it possible to "lock down" distributed pages.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I miss a pair of compasses to construct circular arcs.

I would like to do geometric constructions with my students. For this I need a pair of compasses with which I can construct circular arcs. The circles under figures is not useful for this, because the center is missing.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to create groups of notebooks by category

I would really love if there were a way to see my notebooks in "shelves." I have 30+ notebooks I need to have hope to refer to frequently, if not daily. I'd like to have, for example, a "science" shelf where I can put my planning notebooks and my science notebooks, and a "math" shelf, etc. I don't think the actual file needs to change location; I'd just like the user interface to have an option to group the notebooks so I don't have to scroll through so many at a time.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. mark book

I would like OneNote classbook to include a markbook. I would like to be able to see the marks/grades for all the students in the class and of course would wish to be able to amend them. But I would like a student to be able to have a record of just his or her marks from my markbook....

I would also like an automatic email to be sent to all students in the class when I add a page to the Homework folder in the content library. This would allow me to set them tasks in this way and…

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. An option that teachers could see if the file/HW assigned was viewed or a when the student was 'last active on One Note'

This was available when I was in University when we used 'Moodle'. It would inform teachers if students are engaging with the work assigned on One Note.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Copy a section group to another notebook with relative links intact.

Be able to copy a section group to another notebook with relative links intact.

Setting up a section group as a standalone unit complete with links to resources, assignments, etc. and copy to another class notebook without breaking the links would be very helpful.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to merge cells in tables

Would it be possible for this option to be implemented?
    Currently, the complexity of tables that can be created in OneNote is significantly impaired due to the lack of this option. Tables (E.G. from Microsoft Word) that contain merged cells won't even retain these merged cells if 'copy-and-pasted' into OneNote - the cells will become separated.
    I use OneNote to take notes in lessons. If I am required to make a table that has merged cells, I can't do so. Instead, I have to figure out a way to convey the information in the table effectively without using merged cells.…

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to lock text boxes and images in Collaboration Space

I would like the ability to setup a page in the collaboration space, or the students' personal spaces where the items that I add can be locked in place and are not able to be edited or moved by the students. This would allow the teacher to create a page where the students can read instructions and add information right onto the page without the problem of students accidentally deleting or modifying the content that the teacher added.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. PDF Support

I work a lot with LaTex and PDFs. All the exercise sheets of my classes come in PDF. I miss

• being able to slice PDFs in OneNote to make space for notes (for example with the "insert or remove extra space" tool)

• inserting the actual PDFs and not JPG (to enable hyperlinks for example)

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Integration with Outlook

I would like to have integration with Outlook calendar so that I could associate information entered into Onenote with the time (and meeting) in which it took place. It would be a great way to quickly associate my notes with corresponding times or meetings.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add timestamps to the version history

This would allow teachers to see whether students completed their work by the assigned deadline.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Lock entire sections in the student notebooks

I'd like the ability to lock entire sections of a student notebook with one click. At the moment, we have to lock all the pages separately. This can be tedious if students have added extra pages or re-named pages.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Templates

I have noticed that a huge range of templates are available on OneNote 2016, but there is no option to use a template on the newer version, OneNote for windows 10. As a student this would be an incredibly useful feature.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Share Welcome Section with parents

I'm loving the new feature of being able to share Students' Notebooks as well as the Content Library with parents. I would also like to be able to share the Welcome Section with them, and I’ll explain why.
    I train teachers on the use of Class Notebook and one of the suggestions I always make is for them to create their own Welcome page. The main reason for this is that I’ve been told by students that one of the things they don’t like about using Class Notebook is that every time they open it, they always land on the…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. set printout as background

I like how you can set a printout to be in the background (so students can type/draw/etc on top of a picture or a PDF a little easier). However, it would be more helpful if we can make that choice for each printout instead of as an option for the whole notebook. If I put a printout in, I'd like to be able to right click and choose - set printout as background. Thank you.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Don't allow students to delete teacher created sections or pages.

Don't allow students to delete teacher created sections or pages. We are experiencing that students can delete tabs in their notebooks that teachers have created.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Class and Staff Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Embedding

It would be great if I could embed with html codes. Fore example, I have Prezis and Vokis that I would like to embed.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remove permission to change page titles

Students will often accidentally change the page title of a distributed page and it then doesn't show up in the review student work. Would it be possible to have an option to set everything to background, including the title so that students can type/ink over the top with out being able to change the page structure.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base