How can we improve the OneNote Clipper or me@onenote.com?

Make the OneNote clipper function more like the Evernote clipper

I use both OneNote and Evernote. They each have their own uses. But frankly the Evernote web clipper does a much more elegant job. Rather than go into the deficiencies of the OneNote clipper, I would like to suggest that OneNote clipper adopt the following functions.

- Full page/Article/ Simplified Article, Bookmark and Screen Capture as in the Evernote clipper.

- Capture full HTML content rather than a bitmap image of a web page (or make that an option.) An image only capture seems rather simplistic and unusable for anything other than viewing. Being able to directly select formatted page content after capture would be a huge improvement.

- OneNote clipper Article capture should be fully formatted HTML rather than stripped down un-formatted text. The current OneNote clipper Article capture is closer to what Evernote capture calls a "Simplified Article". So rename it to that and give us a more advanced Article capture.

- Make including the PDF file with a PDF capture the default rather than an option (or give us another setup option to set default behavior to whatever we want.) Also, change the default capture behavior (or give us another setup option) to insert only the first page in a PDF capture rather than all pages. For big PDF files, having the default set to "All pages" doesn't make any sense.

87 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mark V shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Full HTML capture would be so useful - or get Article mode working better. You get the links in Article mode but Article mode seems to be broken with regard to saving images. Most of the time I just get a white box with a red cross in it.

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote clipper Article capture should be fully formatted HTML rather than stripped down un-formatted text. agree..

hey, @onenote any improvements...?? this is a MUST HAVE when doing research. and it's frustrating for me not to be able to click links or readily highlight text... esp since what is clipped is an image... very frustrating...

I naively moved to OneNote from Evernote Premium and have regretted ever since.

There seems to be very little development of the program and the clipper does not match Evernote's features in ANY way. Unfortunately moving is not so easy with a lot of notes so I will hang in there a little longer. Shame as it is part of the 365 package I pay for and I was hoping to rationalise costs. The Team could improve communication and tell us what is in the pipeline. Waiting for something that may never come is frustrating!

• Dennis-L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Evernote Clipper is FAR from perfect, but it certainly is one area that Evernote seems to be quite a bit superior to OneNote. Following and improving upon Evernote's Clipper would give OneNote a great baseline for what OneNote's Clipper could do for our productivity with the product. I've gotten used to just using screenshots and copy and pasting text into OneNote over the years and it hasn't really bothered me too much, however, I see many people around me struggling go to the clipper where it's a crutch that they feel they need, for getting data from the internet to OneNote effectively. I see many pondering jumping the OneNote "ship" simply because Evernote's Clipper is more robust. Personally, I think that's a ridiculous excuse, but that's what I tend to notice. Creating a quality "clipper" with useful functions and faster (and hopefully more reliable than Evernote) could bring and keep more people into this "digital filing cabinet" world.

• CM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a researcher, I want to (clip) keep a copy of the article / posting / web page so I can easily find it and make use of it - either re-read it, quote from it and/or reference the original article. Also, I can easily find it and forward it to a colleague.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I am not comprehending all the terms, forgive me if this is redundant. Allow a clip option that lets me click to start the clipped area in the upper left corner of a box, drag to the lower right corner to complete the box area, and only clip that part of my screen that is within the box.

• Renana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Capturing the HTML content is the feature I miss the most.

Really, capturing image is the worse you can do.

• Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. I'm surprised that it's not already the default. Without the ability to highlight text and cut and paste, OneNote's value as a serious research tool is very limited.

Feedback and Knowledge Base