OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Batch import from EverNote

I need a way to import notes from EverNote to OneNote. (I am considering switching from EverNote to OneNote. EverNote provides an export format. I would prefer not to have to manually copy 900 notes.)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We heard your feedback and we have some great news to share with you. Today, we are launching a new tool to migrate your Evernote notes to OneNote. The OneNote Importer (Preview) automatically migrates all your notes from Evernote and quickly gets you started with OneNote. Use the OneNote Importer to seamlessly make the switch from Evernote to OneNote. Follow the announcement at this blog https://blogs.office.com/2016/03/11/make-the-move-from-evernote-to-onenote-today/

For support issues, please got to answers.microsoft.com.

2. Embed Videos

It would be nice to embed videos in OneNote similar to how they look in PowerPoint instead of just a file attachment.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Pin any part of OneNote Notebook, section, page to start screen

I would like the ability to pin any part of OneNote to my WP or Windows start screen. This includes the whole notebook, sections, group sections, and as is allowed on WP now, pages

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that you can Pin Notebooks / Sections / Section Groups / Pages from OneNote for Windows 10 to your start screen. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

For a list of features added to OneNote for Windows 10 please visit the following article
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

5. Collapse and expand section groups

I would like to be able to collapse and expand section groups like you can in the desktop version.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the July 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

6. Discard Changes, Save & Undo options WP!

More than twice I lost my complete note because I selected all the text and instead of copy button, by mistake I entered any key or hit paste button!

There's no way going back, even if you switch off your phone it syncs to the cloud ☁

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that with the OneNote for Windows 10 May 2017 update, you should be able to view prior page history and revert to any version you wish.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

7. Windows Phone: Create sections

Vote for this if you want to be able to create new sections in your notebooks from OneNote for Windows Phone.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the July 2017 update.

8. Record audio

The desktop app has the feature to record audio straight through one note. Why shouldn't the mobile app have the same?

132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to change OneNote's (Modern App) default font size

Please add a "change default font size" feature to the Modern App version of OneNote, similar to the desktop version.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the January 2017 update.

As part of that update, you can now set your defaults :
    Choose Settings > Options and pick your favorite font and size to use as the default for new notes.

10. Enable background sync for OneNote on Windows Phone

You could tie it to being on wi-fi like image upload but I would *love* to always have up to date notes on my phone

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Omeed Chandra responded

Thanks for submitting this feedback! We actually introduced background sync over Wi-Fi for OneNote in Windows Phone 8, so all Windows Phones released in the last year and a half should support this feature.

If you’re already using Windows Phone 8 or 8.1 and our existing background sync functionality doesn’t meet your needs, please let us know what you would like to see improved about it.

11. Record handwriting with animated playback

The ability to click on a record handwriting feature to show handwriting be replayed in real time (not only pieces linked to audio). Then there may also be a need to record audio at the same time while doing this to explain something. etc. This would be helpful for teaching, learning, and taking notes.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow users to copy multiple pages from one tab

Instead of selecting a whole tab to copy or having to go one by one we should be able to use the shift + an arrow key to select multiple pages

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this is available as of the July 2017 update.

13. Tecla de atalho para função NEGRITO!

Pelo amor que vocês tem ao seus consumidores, criem uma tecla de atalho no teclado para a função NEGRITO! Ctrl + N agora abre uma nova página! E isso é inútil! Você abre uma nova página nem uma vez ao dia e usamos a função NEGRITO o tempo todo! Por favor, voltem com o atalho para o que está em TODOS os outros softwares da Microsoft. ):

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. New navigation bar behaviour to show organisational context of each page

Add value to the way OneNote structures notes. Here are my four related feature requests:

1. A button and keyboard shortcut to expand the navigation bar's notebook/section tree to the section of the currently open page, and scroll the section into view if not visible.

2. A configuration option to always keep the navigation bar in sync with the open page, expanding and scrolling the notebook/section tree as the user opens pages via search or hyperlinks.

3. A button and keyboard shortcut to expand or collapse the entire notebook/secion tree in the navigation bar.

4. Breadcrumbs as a navigation aid…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that all of the above have been taken into consideration when redesigning OneNote for Windows 10. The July 2017 update should reflect those changes. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to open a new idea for each one.

For a list of features added to OneNote for Windows 10 please visit the following article
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

15. Allow quick changing of pen colors when working in full screen

When I teach, I write (and project) my notes in full screen mode. I change pen colors often -- sometimes every line -- and it is currently a pain to change pen colors from full screen mode because I have to go back to the toolbar to select a new pen color. I'd like the ability to change pen colors from full screen mode.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that your pens are available in the full screen mode of OneNote for Windows 10.

You will no longer have to keep toggling on and off between full screen mode in order to change your pens, they should be available at your fingertips.

Thank you for posting on our forums and helping us improve OneNote for everyone.

-The OneNote Team

16. add "shared notebook" function

Add the feature to have a notebook but allow others to edit the notebook.

maybe preview edits before accepting.

ej: in our church band we are building a digital songbook, but what all member to be able to add, remove and edit songs.

but have a master moderator.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Recent Notes

OneNote for iOS has a great Recent Notes section with the ability to pin notes. It is fantastic for shared notebooks and for users with many notebooks/pages. Please add this useful feature to the Desktop version.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that with the OneNote for Windows 10 May 2017 update, you should be able to see the Recent Notes button in the notebooks pane.

For more details on what’s new in OneNote for Windows 10 please visit:

18. Ability to reading text

Please add ability to reading text to OneNote! Then there will be no need to install additional softwares such as "IVONA Voice Reader", "TextAloud" or etc. Thank you so much.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that we design OneNote for Windows 10 to be accessible for everyone. This also means that you can use built in screen readers on your existing devices (such as Narrator or VoiceOver) to have assistive technology read anything in the app for you. If you find anything specific that isn’t read through your screen reader, feel free to let us know by creating a new post with the details of what is not being read.

19. Windows Store app: Highlighter pens in the radial menu

Curently, it's not possible to use a highlighter pen in the Store app. I would love to see this added alongside the existing pens in the radial menu

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Omeed Chandra responded

Good news! We added this feature to the OneNote app in the Windows Store last week. Please update to the latest version through the Windows Store and you should find highlighter pens on the Radial Menu!

20. Hide Authors in OneNote Windows Store App

I still do not use OneNote for Windows Store for one reason only: Because I can't hide Authors. I am the only Author but I constantly show up, and it clutters the screen so bad I can't see anything. Either recognize that I'm using the same Microsoft Account for both and stop showing or just let users turn it off! I don't even understand how, this many years after release, this still isn't an option.

I want to use the Windows Store version because it's more touch oriented and the Surface Pro 3 has great pen support, but never until…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base