OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Outlook Tasks

Please can we have Outlook task intergration in the Windows 10 version in the same way that OneNote 2016 has!

151 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Implement History ribbon from OneNote 2016

Implement the same functionality for history that was previously present in OneNote 2016 in OneNote for Windows since Microsoft Office OneNote is being retired.

12 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • OneNote & OneNote 2016

There should be two versions of OneNote.
        One for the desktop and the other for the iPad.
        Don't replace OneNote 2016.

9 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make OneNote for Windows 10 look like OneNote 2016 and other Office programs

OneNote for Windows 10 app looks different like OneNote 2016 and other Office programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.) for example ribbon is different and there is no customized quick access toolbar just like other Office programs has. Also, other Office programs does not have that toolbar what OneNote for Windows 10 app has (that one on the upper right corner). There is also no "File" menu just like others have.

Please make OneNote for Windows 10 app look and feel like other Office programs! Now it just feels like it not belong to the Microsoft Office family compared to…

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability to summarise incomplete tags/todos in a single view which is dynamically updated as I close out a task.

My problem is: Creating a tag summary page daily of todos and other things I am tracking (an easy tag shortcut view in evernote by the way) however when I do this in onenote it will duplicate the existing tags I have created but not completed from previous days. SO I have to resort to manually deleting and then recreating a new list. onerous and tedious and negates any productivity gain I may make in creating ths list in the first place.

Altering the search constraint to a single notebook, section or whatever also removes the efficiency gain as I…

47 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Revise it so people can work on notebooks that are on their local machine or server. Not all people/companies want their files in the cloud

Revise it so people can work on notebooks that are on their local machine or server. Not all people or companies want their files in the cloud. Some files are confidential and thus only allowing Windows OneNote app to work with cloud based storage is not acceptable.

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Table functions in OneNote

Allow all table functionality that is in MS Word to work within OneNote.

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• run onetastic on OneNote for Windows

Onetastic is an essential add on to OneNote 2016. Since OneNote for Windows will replace 2016, it must be able to run Onetastic.

11 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• insert Word, Powerpoint and Excel printouts

Please allow the insert printout feature for Word, PowerPoint and Excel documents in the Win10 OneNote app similar to the way you can embed/print them out in the Office 2016 version of the program.
                    This includes the 'refresh printout' option that is available once these embedded files are edited.

147 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Customize Header Styles

The built-in header styles are useful but limited to the default settings. It would be helpful to be able to customize them for different font schemes. This feature is already present in Word where you can create styles.

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Search Function

In onenote 2016 when searching within notes it highlighted all instances of your keywords and allowed you to jump between them with arrow keys to quickly find instances where things were mentioned. This was an invaluable tool for looking through lecture slides.

Onenote 2016 also had the capability to find text within pdf and powerpoint printouts which appears to be missing from onenote for windows 10.

These omissions make this program a real downgrade from onenote 2016 and I would like to see them implemented again.

8 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bring the Hashtag feature from Microsoft To Do to OneNote

Hashtags now work well in To Do. Just click on the tag and you can see all tags across all your to do lists. Need this to work in OneNote the same way.

44 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Please add Grouping of Notebooks by adding a special Nest Notebook, like Scrivener Binder

Please add Scrivener Binder functionality to OneNote that will allow users to create "folders" in which multiple notebooks can be placed thus resulting in grouping of notebooks. This is an often requested feature that is already being done elegantly in Scrivener Binder feature.

Microsoft, please buy a copy of Scrivener and checkout their binder. You can see in the link:
                            https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/features?os=Windows

At the left side of the pic there is a widows explorer like "Binder" that allows the creation of folders that can hold folders or documents or in your case Notebooks underneath the folder. This would allow grouping of…

4 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• REMINDER directly in OneNote, pls!!!!!!

How could you guys did not include the "Reminder Setting" directly in OneNote???

For personal purposes, I strongly believe that many ppl are just using OneNote without MS Outlook for emails.

So please, add the Reminder settings for OneNote asap!!!

19 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Sort Section Tabs

I would love the ability to sort my tabs. In my notebook I have lots of tabs labeled by product part number. I like to have things listed alphanumerically in order to make them easy to find. Unfortunately I have to manually sort them every time I enter a new batch of tabs. Since a lot of numbers in a series are similar this can get cumbersome. I'd love to be able to hit a button or have a setting that automatically sorts them.

15 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pages!! I need 8.5x11 sized page layouts, where i can scroll vertically from one page to the next like in microsoft word.

Pages!! I need 8.5x11 sized page layouts, where I can scroll vertically from one page to another like in microsoft word. The way it currently is, with the page extending seemingly into infinity, the app is basically unusable. Hopefully this can be fixed by the start of second semester, as I need to choose a notes application and commit to it, and right now that application is Notability, as I take notes on my iPad. However, the ability for notes to perfectly synchronize with my onenote app on my laptop is awesome!. Why the heck did you get rid of…

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Win: multi-tags;import from outlook, import from EverNote

Working for years with Evernote I am missing some features.

1. Multi-Tags
                                    2. Synchronisation / import tags from Outlook.
                                    3. Easy import tags from Evernote

In this order! !

And thumbs up for all other ideas around tags here!!!

339 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

1. How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?
                                      a) Never
                                      b) Rarely
                                      c) Sometimes
                                      d) Often
                                      e) Always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
                                      a) Summary Page
                                      b) Tags Summary Pane

• Collaborate with Microsoft To-Do

The concept is to have a "notebook" in which you could edit/create/view all todos from Microsoft To-Do.
                                      In conjunction with To-Do reminders you should be able to "link" somehow (like the tag of Evernote) an Onenote note with a To-Do.

So you could get due day notifications for notes of OneNote through To-Do. Multiple links of notes with one To-Do could create a "tracking" system with due reminders.

To-Do is light and fast. It could be utilized more easily and giving OneNote "project management" capabilities.

Also usefull:
                                      Export a To-Do to onenote for further processing.

This suggestion is for all…

660 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Notes made by same account are considered from different authors

I have made several notes with one and the same microsoft account from OneNote 2013(ver. 15.0.4701.1000) , OneNote Android

15.1.6821.4825, OneNote Online.The background system considers that the notes are made by 3 different authors, and it seems

like the system is right, because the 3 author are shown as "L F", "LF", "F L"(without quotes, L=last name, F=first name,

and pay attention that there is 1 blank space between the L&F(1st) and 1 blank space between F&L(3rd))
                                        Here is the details, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/zh-CN/62aaa1a1-9316-4bfc-add6-60fcf2e8ed35/21516199683613421495201741998121516-onenote?forum=officesystemzhchs.
                                        I found this problem in early April.
                                        Please fix this division as soon as possible.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Don't replace desktop OneNote 2016 with UWP OneNote for Windows 10 without consent in Office 365

When the latest Office 365 Insider build installed over the weekend, it silently removed OneNote 2016 desktop without any notice. It was just gone when I looked for it this morning. I successfully reinstalled it and all of my Notebooks and settings appear to be intact. BUT PLEASE DON'T DO THAT AGAIN. The UWP OneNote for Windows 10 app is quite nice, but I still prefer the desktop version. FYI, I'm using Office 365 Home, Version 1809 (Build 10820.20006 Click-to-Run), Office Insider program, on an HP ENVY x360 (i5) running the current, fully-updated Windows 10, version 1803 (not Insider /…

13 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base