OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Add Windows 8 OneNote 2016 Excel spreadsheet function to Windows 10 OneNote

Windows 8 and OneNote 2016 have some good features when working with Excel Spreadsheets. e.g. In OneNote 2016 there is a Microsoft Excel button that allows new or existing Excel spreadsheets to be opened and edited. Once opened there is an edit button in upper left corner of the spreadsheet. When clicked Excel opens and I can add data and edit the spreadsheet. Then when I quit Excel the new changes to the spreadsheet appear in the OneNote version of the spreadsheet. Very neat! I wish OneNote for Windows 10 had this feature.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PLEASE give us the same Word text editing features for basic things like autocorrect, math functions, etc.

It is infuriating that I cannot take class notes and copy over math equations, or use shortcuts/autocorrect features to quickly type mathematical symbols. I am a biology grad student, and I have to navigate through multiple menus every single time I want to use a delta or micro symbol. This makes taking quick notes impossible. Either make the autocorrect rules we set in Word apply across ALL Office apps, or integrate the Options tab from Word into the rest of these apps. I didn't have this problem with OneNote 2016, but y'all discontinued support and updates for it, leaving us…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. OneNote 2016 good but needed more, to move to a more restricted Windows 10 with less features has been a retrograde step

I use OneNote for many applications, an important one is to develop and keep electronic laboratory notebooks (ELNs) for my research group at University. Since the onset when I started using OneNote I saw its potential and decided to harness its power, which indeed has increased over the years. There are several features in the 2016 version that would need to be implemented to make it an extraordinary tool for ELNs or other applications. Instead Microsoft has moved into a Windows 10 experience, effectively a simplistic or more immature form that requires my team and myself to go back and…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Categorize left hand nav pane by notebook locations

Hello there,

A very great feature would be to have the left hand pane showing all my notebooks in a more structured way such as having kind a like a HEADER that segregates the different types of Sources my Notebooks are located on. (i.e. personal onedrive, SharePoint sites, local Notebooks)

as I am heavily utilizing OneNote, I do have plenty of notebooks from several different places.
    Wehther its my personal ON from ODB consumer, ONs from SharePoint sites or my local Notebooks, all are sqeezed together in one looong row at the left hand side pane.

Pls add this feature! …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. layout

Changing the layout. I was forced to the new version, now I am dealing with the inefficiencies of the new layout. Based on the posts here, it's been going on for a year now and apparently nothing has changed. Why waste your breath. I just started really using OneNote and then you muck up the format. Just give everyone an option on how they want it to look versus you forcing it on everyone. It seems like a simple solution.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. change default save folder in OneNote for Office 365

All notebooks are stored in OneDrive directly under the "Documents" folder . . . it would be great if we could save them in a separate subfolder under "Documents" - less clutter in the Documents folder in OneDrive

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Outlook Tasks

Please can we have Outlook task intergration in the Windows 10 version in the same way that OneNote 2016 has!

689 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

181 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. OneNote layout and local storage

There are two major reasons for why I continue using OneNote 2016.

1. The layout with horizontal tabs across the top, makes it easier to find the right page. The new layout makes somewhat sense on small screens like mobiles, but in office I prefer the traditional one

2. It's crucial to have access to OneNote when I'm without internet connection. A local backup is a necessity

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add new section to existing section group

I need to be able to add a new section to an already existing section group within a class notebook. That is a MUST in my classroom and I feature I sorely miss from One Note 2016.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Show moved Pages and Sections in Notebook History

When a user moves a notebook page or section from one notebook to another, other users can't see the history of the moved item, or where the item has been moved to. There also is no way to know who moved the item. Without communication outside of OneNote, the section or page essentially disappears completely.

When a notebook page or section is Moved instead of copied, maybe it should automatically be added to the Notebook Recycle Bin so that it's still accessible to users of the original notebook.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Integrate Onenote with the SUBTASKS and with the NOTES of the tasks (not only with the tasks)

The perfect way to synchronize tasks such as Outlook or Microsoft To Do ones with Onenote it is as follows:

Notes of the tasks:
    • If the task is in the title of the onenote page, make the content of the page sync as the note of the task.
    • If the task is in any paragraph, make their indented paragraphs sync as the note of the task.

Subtasks:
    • If the task is in the title of the onenote page, make the tasks that are in the content of the page sync as the subtasks.
    • If the task…

107 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. User Defined Layout Preferences

Please allow user to define layout in preferences. I would like to move sections/tabs to left side, others like across the top. Many software applications allow customization to the nth degree. See Oracle SQL Developer for inspiration.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Toggle Dark Mode

Currently, some parts of OneNote in dark mode do not work well. (see for example https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows/suggestions/37840003-adding-mathematical-formulas-in-dark-mode). While these issues are being fixed, I suggest creating a toggle button between dark and light mode. Currently, I have to go to ...>Settings>Options, and then click on the mode I want. This is unnecessarily complicated. Instead, a button placed where the sync, notifications, etc. are would aid usability. This has been done before in Mail for Windows 10.

This feedback is for OneNote for Windows, not OneNote 2016. OneNote 2016 does not have a dark mode.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Section tabs layout

Provide the option to layout onenote the way you want it as it applies to notebooks, section tabs and pages. It's impossible to please everyone, we all process information different. Give us the option to lay out onenote the way we want it.

221 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Page size

Please make fixed page sizes for a notebook page/section possible. Make it look like windows journal. So that we can use it for note taking in classrooms. Since OneNote includes infinite pan, scroll and zoom, this becomes a problem when you want to take notes and see it page by page. This option is said to have present in OneNote 2016. Please bring it to this standard OneNote. Hopefully we’ll get this soon.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Page size setting in one note

I LOVE one note... except for one thing... I cannot set the page size to a default and then have the page continue to scroll down like in other note taking apps. I love taking digital notes because it saves time and paper but in order to really review I also really like having paper print outs. It is much more difficult to do this in a well thought out manner without appropriate paper size settings

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Integrate Outlook Meeting Details with Template Creation, and more

It would be great if there was an option to integrate meeting details into templates, in a custom manner. Right now they are all just dumped into the top of a note. Additionally, it would be great to have the ability to separate out attendance information into a table or separate groups for those in attendance, those on the telephone, or those absent from the meeting.

Additionally, the ability to include collapsable and expandable sections aside from meeting details would be great.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Files on demand for OneNote cache

I want the same files on demand feature as for files in OneDrive, but for OneNote Notebooks.

When this is turned on, delete data that is used less frequently from the cache to save space. The download of data would still work as it does now,.

All opened notebook titles, sections, and page titles are cached, and pages themselves are synced on selecting a page, like it does now when you first open notebooks. Pages / sections / notebooks that you refer to frequently are kept on your device, as are any where you have selected the "always keep on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. link one note todo list to the todo application list

When a todo list with tick box is created in one note it would be great if ita list of one note todo could appear and sync in the todo application as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Splash Screen with dark background to suit dark theme

I love the dark theme, thank you for having implemented that. But the splash screen still has a white background which dazzles me when I open OneNote. Could you please add a dark background for those who have dark theme?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base