OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Make links to files stored on PC work

In the Microsoft Store version of OneNote, when I click on a link to a file stored on my PC, I get the message "Sorry, we couldn't open the notes you were looking for. They may have been moved or deleted or you may not have permission to open them."
    Links to files work fine in OneNote 2016. Please make them work in the Store version.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. one press undo button

Recently it was changed so I need to click twice in tablet mode to undo. Why? This is way less intuitive than it was before with one press. It makes undoing multiple things much more difficult. Please bring back the old undo button

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. section groups - Allow manual re-arranging as per user need similar to sections.

MS OneNote 2016 - Unable to rearrange the section group as per the user needs. Sections, we can re-arrange as we wish. But section groups are arranged automatically in alphabetic order. This hampers the user from arranging groups in a particular order, they need it. - Singaravelu S,

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow users to turn off text containers. It would facilitate ZOOMIMG IN the note

Please, add an option to let the user choose to write the text to the simple blank space WITHOUT any text containers or to hide existing containers. It's highly impractical o write a note into any text container.

When I write my note on my laptop and then I want to view it on the phone (and I accidentally touch the size of the text container), I have to manually resize the text container every time I switch the device. Or even on this same computer, when I want to simply zoom in without resizing the text. It's impossible!

When…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. expand search results for multiple occurences

currently if I search for a word, it limits the search results to listing 1 result per page of the notebook. I would like it to list and hyperlink all matches on all pages.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Convert to excel function same as OneNote 2016

Convert Table to excel function same as OneNote 2016

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Right Click option "New Section Group" when on existing section group

When we right click on an existing section group - there should also be an option to create a section group (= below the parent section group)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Incremental Search - OneNote 2016 Search

Bring back OneNote 2016 Search! Esp. Incremental Search

Search was the killer feature that allowed people to create many notes quickly (and organize and consume them easily).

Don't lose the game to Google Keep or some other solution. Learn from history.

If you don't bring OneNote 2016's search capability and improve upon it as your very top feature, OneNote will die an inevitable death!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Outlook Tasks

Please can we have Outlook task intergration in the Windows 10 version in the same way that OneNote 2016 has!

227 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. proofing language

I teach in different languages and need to have class notebooks in different language
    Should be possible to set the language of each book, not to have to change every single entry you make.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make OneNote for Windows 10 look like OneNote 2016 and other Office programs

OneNote for Windows 10 app looks different like OneNote 2016 and other Office programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.) for example ribbon is different and there is no customized quick access toolbar just like other Office programs has. Also, other Office programs does not have that toolbar what OneNote for Windows 10 app has (that one on the upper right corner). There is also no "File" menu just like others have.

Please make OneNote for Windows 10 app look and feel like other Office programs! Now it just feels like it not belong to the Microsoft Office family compared to…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. layout

Changing the layout. I was forced to the new version, now I am dealing with the inefficiencies of the new layout. Based on the posts here, it's been going on for a year now and apparently nothing has changed. Why waste your breath. I just started really using OneNote and then you muck up the format. Just give everyone an option on how they want it to look versus you forcing it on everyone. It seems like a simple solution.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Remove the stupid sidebar with the search button

The sidebar showing the microsoft account, search button is so annoying. I have no idea when it happened but seems to have just appeared on my mac one note....i am so irritated by it as i just want a clear screen and not an annoying pic in the bottom left from my one account and a search button! stop changing the interface

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Cropping

Add picture crop

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Search and replace function

Please add search and replace function to OneNote! (very useful to bulk change words to an abbreviation)

194 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. OneNote Cloud Attachments in Sharepoint for Notebooks in MS Teams

Following on from the recent Cloud Attachments feature announcement (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nzedu/2018/11/13/cloud-attachments-in-onenote-game-changer-for-educators/#comment-31845) which is fantastic news and is a great start towards integrating Microsoft's applications and cloud ecosystem more closely together.

The above announcement is fantastic for personal users or teachers where only 1 teacher needs to manage the files, if you have a team of users however this does not work well.

For OneNote documents that are saved in Microsoft Teams I'd like to see documents uploaded to the Teams SharePoint rather than individual team members personal OneDrive's, adding these documents to the Teams SharePoint enables the following:

•Allows…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Search Function

In onenote 2016 when searching within notes it highlighted all instances of your keywords and allowed you to jump between them with arrow keys to quickly find instances where things were mentioned. This was an invaluable tool for looking through lecture slides.

Onenote 2016 also had the capability to find text within pdf and powerpoint printouts which appears to be missing from onenote for windows 10.

These omissions make this program a real downgrade from onenote 2016 and I would like to see them implemented again.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Stop Users appearing multiple times when sharing a file if they have several SMTP addresses

It is confusing as most people don't understand why one user can appear 3/4 times!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Better support for neo2 keyboardlayout

The neo2 keyboard layout is a usercreated layout optimized for the german language as well as programming in general. It utilizes 6 layers to support a wider range of characters and shortcuts (https://neo-layout.org/). On the forth layer the sdef keys (on a regular layout) function as arrow keys similar to wasd in gaming.

As described in https://wiki.neo-layout.org/ticket/358 OneNote ignores any of the arrow-key strokes provided by our Autohotkey implementation of the layout. In other programs including Office applications it does work.

We would love to see a change in OneNote to fix this issue.

Greetings,

Xlaech & the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please add the features of OneNote2016 to the OneNote UWP

OneNote UWP's features is so weak now, you just need to copy the features of OneNote 2016 into OneNote UWP. Users will thank you a a lot.

However, you haven't been able to add a bit of functionality to the UWP version for years.Do you guys given how weak it is.?
    How dare you kill OneNote2016?

OneNote UWP is so much worse than OneNote2016.

Will you be ashamed of your salary?

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base