OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Indented numbering does not work correctly

When a numbered list, you cannot change the numbering type (e.g. 1., 2., 3., or a., b., c.) from what OneNote chooses.

This often happens if you have an indented numbered list. It's not possible to have an indented list with numbers; you can only have letters.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. find and replace

Please stop bothering us and DO a find and replace OR AT LEAST say that you're gonna do this. Do not allow people to be unpolite because some of you are not acting as Microsoft people!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Individualized permission setting for sections/pages

This is NOT about sharing single pages or sections of a notebook.

My company requires the ability to set some pages/sections of a notebook to view-only, while others need to retain full edit access.

This is similar to setting permissions for individual folders within a server. Umbrella permission for the notebook, but the ability to restrict certain sections from being altered.

It is necessary because templates that are shared can currently be altered by anyone who the notebook is shared with. This is the case for attachments as well, like email header/footers and excel files.

Please provide this capability.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add option to "Lock password protected sections after I have not worked in them for the following amount of time".

OneNote 2016 has the advanced option "Lock password protected sections after I have not worked in them for the following amount of time". Such an option does not seem to exist in OneNote for Windows 10. The features of OneNote for Windows 10 have improved a lot over the past year or so, but having to reenter the password after only 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity is annoying and is the one thing keeping me from switching from OneNote 2016. Please add this feature to OneNote for Windows 10.

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow mixing typed and handwritten notes on the same page

I would like to prepare for a course or a meeting by typing (actually copying and pasting from the course outline or meeting agenda) all the headers ahead of time and then, during the course or meeting, I would like to simply take handwritten notes under the pre-typed headers. For this to work, handwritten text would need to be treated like an inserted picture and stay locked relative to surrounding text. It would solve another issue and feature request often asked by users to "attach" handwritten text to typed text. Very useful to annotate typed text afterwards.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Running Section (Folder) View

I wish there were a view to see an entire Section as a running document with or without headers (maybe as an option to check or uncheck). A further manifestation of this would be to view a page and all subpages as a running document, even more precisely that simply viewing the whole section. In this view, you would still be able to edit the pages, and perhaps there would even be a faint line in between pages so you can still see where one ends and where one begins.

For myself, I use OneNote to write drafts. This would…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Tooltip Descriptions for Pages and Sections

In a complex Notebook, titles are handy, but there can be a lot of different sections, and especially pages, within a Notebook. It would be handy to be able to add a short description to each page's metadata that would pop-up as a tooltip when you hovered your mouse over each page. This would make navigating a document a breeze. This would be handy for sections too, but I think primarily it is needed for pages.

As potential use cases, a student might label 10 pages as "Lab 1-10", then he could mouse over each of the 10 to see…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Manual Page Version Control

I use OneNote to draft poems, stories, articles, etc. It is a good place to store all of my writing, research, ideas, etc. Page Versions are nice if you are just looking for a running backup of your work, but I would like a specific, controllable backup of various pages in my notebook. I want to be able to get to a point where I'm satisfied, click "Save a Page Version", name that version something like "Draft with Personal Intro", and then start editing. When I realize I want some wording back from that old Page Version, I want to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Reminder

Can we have the Reminder option added to OneNote for Windows 10. I have to switch between the two versions because I like the layout of the Windows 10 version, but want to be able to use the reminder features.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Frames/Border lines and background color in Text Box

I would very much like to have the ability to add frames/border lines and background colors to the text box. That would greatly improve my organization of different text items in my notes.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please add the option to insert COMMENTS****

Although TAG is quite helpful, comments are an essential
    Why do you have it in every App (Excel, Word etc.) but not in OneNote

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Grouping objects permenantly

Please add the ability to group objects, such as pen strokes and images, permenantly. This ability would make reorganizing a page much easier since using the lasso tool multiple times is very frustrating.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please give an option to edit and save picture directly in onenote in desktop as well as in android phone

Please give an option to edit and save picture directly in onenote in desktop as well as in android phone

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make it possible to set default saving location in OneNote windows 10

In OneNote 2016 we had the option of choosing the default saving and backup locations. This feature disappeared in OneNote Windows 10. No the default is in ONeDrive and we have no possibility to change it. Can we please add it back

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Immersive Reader should continue reading aloud when changing focus to another window.

Immersive Reader stops reading aloud when changing the focus to another window, which makes the feature almost useless.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Need paper size options!

The infinite paper size being the only option forces me to keep using OneNote 2016 or a simple pdf editor instead of OneNote for Windows 10. It is impossible to export anything from OneNote if I cannot tell where the page ends--it always will format horribly.

1,135 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

119 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Stop using system color in Dark mode

Dark mode set text highlight color based on system color. However, certain system color might have been changed by theme software. So dark mode does not look as good. Can you add option so that OneNote dark mode load color not from system color but a preset default set of colors?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Request Sun/moon button to toggle dark mode

Like new outlook support for dark mode, request a Sun/moon button to toggle dark mode easily.

Comparing with outlook email, onenote naturally contains notes with much more color highlights and backgrounds that does not look good in dark mode. Need a quick way (ideally a hot key), to quickly toggle dark mode to ensure best user experience.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Can you please allow multi-highlighting of notebook sections.

Moving a notebook from one account (my school account) to a personal account was the most frustrating thing I have done in a while.

It cant be done on the windows app unless you drag and drop each individual section to a new notebook created on the 2nd account. And once that is completed, you cant delete the old notebook on the app either, you have to log into the web browser version to delete a notebook. This is frustrating when you have 30 sections in a notebook (one for each lecture), and moving the notebook takes 5-10 mins.

Allowing…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Tabstops

Integrates tabstops like Microsoft Word. Word texts with tab stops cannot be copied into OneNote without this function. I do not understand why there is an incompatibility here. This makes the work more difficult.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base