OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Print to OneNote with Continuous as page size

'Print to OneNote' should offer 'Continuous' as a page size. Just like old continuous-feed printers, OneNote's sheets aren't size-limited, so why does 'Print to OneNote' impose a limit? This is especially noticeable when printing long webpages to OneNote. The source isn't paged, the OneNote sheet it's going to isn't paged, so why is the print driver so limited?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Change Case" icon for Quick Access Toolbar

I would appreciate a change case icon for the Quick Access Toolbar as there is available for other Microsoft Office apps. I compile notes from technical literature with many acronyms and headings and I often need to flick between upper and lower case. Perhaps others would find this useful too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. More Specific Search Functionality

When searching within OneNote, all search results show up within the search panel. The problem is the times when I want to search for a specific short word like the acronym BE. I get results for beam, beat, beer, bear, beneficiary, benevolence, bellybutton etc. I would like the capability to put my search term in quotes and only get results back for the word in quotes itself. Thanks! Love the App!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. paper size option should be there

for easily making digital hand written notes and prining them in A4 size paper

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. OneNote is Awful, kill it and bring back OneNote 2016.

Windows 10 "Metro" "Windows Store" OneNote App is Awful, kill it and bring back OneNote 2016.

274 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Section Name in Top Purple Bar

Currently the very top purple bar displays the page name - Windows PC Version. I wish I there was an option to make it display the Section name instead.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please add code formatting (TSQL, C#)

Please add code formatting (TSQL, C#)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Onenote 2020

I can't get 2020 onenote. Pls auto update onenote 2016 to 2020 :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Menu to Copy, Paste or Delete should appears automatically after selecting text! (Auto Prompt Menu for Touch Select )

As the tittle says, I think for mostly students this should be a must to have feature since we keep deleting groups of text or even copy and paste it.

Imagine having to hold the selected text to open the menu to copy or paste 100x ... it is tiring. Doing it automatically would turn it so efficient and save us so much time!

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make it easier to move pages to another notebook

I switched from Evernote to OneNote for work a couple years ago and have been frustrated by how hard it is to move pages from one notebook to another. I know that I can drag and drop, but I have lots of notebooks so usually the notebook I want to drop into isn't visible from my Inbox. I realized when using Evernote that it's so much easier because I can just select the folder I want to put something in from the dropdown. (I'm using Onenote 2016 because that's all my company will allow)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Publish to Sway from OneNote, and/or maybe manage a Sway from OneNote?

OneNote would be an amazing tool to manage and publish Sway content.

I and others I know have started to use OneNote to 'publish' content for groups like 'classes' to access.

The class functionality integrated with MS Sway would make for an exceptional content management and publishing toolset.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. O365 meeting integration

In onenote 2016 you could click a button in the outlook meeting, all meeting information opened in a new note and if you used Skype for business in tracked attendance. It was brilliant. Now as 2016 is deprecated we corporate users are losing this great productivity feature. Please please revive it

309 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please create backup in windows 10 version.

We are using one note to record important phone conversations.

We are currently manually making a copy of the file to prevent against a staff member deleting the entire notebook.

It would good to have protections against this by creating a backup automatically so we didnt have to do it manually.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow mixing typed and handwritten notes on the same page

I would like to prepare for a course or a meeting by typing (actually copying and pasting from the course outline or meeting agenda) all the headers ahead of time and then, during the course or meeting, I would like to simply take handwritten notes under the pre-typed headers. For this to work, handwritten text would need to be treated like an inserted picture and stay locked relative to surrounding text. It would solve another issue and feature request often asked by users to "attach" handwritten text to typed text. Very useful to annotate typed text afterwards.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Microsoft should buy Onetastic and provide it for free to those users that pay for an Office 365 subscription

Offering Onetastic as a free add-on for OneNote would be another incentive for users to pay for an Office 365 subscription. Microsoft, please buy Onetastic and make this a way to add premium features to OneNote.

Alternatively, please incorporate the essential features of Onetastic such as Pin to Favorites; Search & Replace; Sorting pages, selections, and paragraphs; and Uncheck All Todos.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Insert Lines that go with the notes

To be able to insert a line under a heading which goes completely across the text area and is locked to the text under which it is applied. This is not an Underline but a line used to separated text or objects but is locked to the item the line is either below or above.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Very few tools in One Note

In comparison to MS-Word 2016 Home & Student, MS- OneNote has very less tools for organisation and making notes. It will be outstanding if Microsoft will give almost all those tools in OneNote which it gave in MS-Word.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Page Sync Status Indicator For Desktop OneNote (Office 365) Same As For OneNote(Microsoft Store)

The Page Sync Status Indicator for OneNote For Windows(Store Version) is useful when switching devices to tell if page of interest has been updated yet. When using a desktop computer, I much prefer the desktop version of OneNote(it's more powerful and easier to use with a keyboard and mouse). Please provide a page sync status indicator for that program as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow user to specify "Include Subpages" when Searching via 'Find on this Page'

Current search functionality allows user to specify which level to be searched including 1) All Notebooks, 2) This Notebook, 3) This Section Group, 4) This Section, 5) Find on This Page. This allows increasing levels of specificity to narrow the search results. However, we're missing the ability to specify the search level in between levels 4 and 5.

Please add functionality to allow user to search 'Find on This Page including Subpages'.

If you add enhancement to increase the number of possible subpage levels, this search functionality must continue to work at whichever level the user chooses to search within…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Sticky Page for Section Info

Give each section a sticky page to contain info about that section.

Could contain things like:
    1) purpose of section
    2) examples of what goes there (and what doesn't)

Shared notebooks go awry when people don't understand the purpose of each section and how to use it effectively.

I Photoshopped a mockup of the sticky concept (unselected vs selected) and put it here:

https://devkeith.com/quick/onenote/onenote_section.html

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base