OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Ability to change heading styles in OneNote

It's very frustrating to be allowed to change the default font, but not the heading styles. At the very least I expect the heading styles to inherit the default font, even if I can't change the size or color...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Sort Pages

Add ability to sort Pages

224 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Here are some of the results of the survey –
    • Sorting is needed for pages, sections, and notebooks
    • Sorting should persist while navigating, after close of notebook, across all devices, and be seen by people they share the notebook with
    • Current OneNote users want the following sorts – alphabetical, date created, and date modified
    • We heard from a lot of users who wanted to set section lists and page lists in a sort that they wouldn’t change often, but there was also a set of users who mentioned that they would want to live in a certain sort order, but switch to another sort order as an aid to locate specific items within their list

Thank you again for your responses. This information helps us understand the experience we need to build to match your needs.

3. Paragraph/Line Spacing

Add Paragraph/Line Spacing

203 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Page size setting in one note

I LOVE one note... except for one thing... I cannot set the page size to a default and then have the page continue to scroll down like in other note taking apps. I love taking digital notes because it saves time and paper but in order to really review I also really like having paper print outs. It is much more difficult to do this in a well thought out manner without appropriate paper size settings

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Enable .one file in the new App

Come on Microsoft enable users to save their notebook as a .one file just like in old Onenote.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Shapes and drawings to allow free rotation. Have you ever observed someone writing in a notepad? This feature is a must.

Just observe a class of students writing in paper.

How many of them have the paper they're writing on straight? Just a few, right?

And how many of them have the paper they're reading from straight? Most of them, right?

For this reason - the habit of reading and writing keeping papers with different rotation levels - is a must that OneNote admits free rotation of shapes and drawings.

Whiteboard already includes this option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. search feature

Please make the search feature more powerful. The Windows 10 Onenote app cannot find part of the searched item. It requires me to type the first letter of the searched words. e.g. If I'm searching for "vehicle" and type "ehicl", it will not find any matches until I type "veh".

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Splash Screen with dark background to suit dark theme

I love the dark theme, thank you for having implemented that. But the splash screen still has a white background which dazzles me when I open OneNote. Could you please add a dark background for those who have dark theme?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. insert files and pictures directly from onedrive

Can you make an option to insert files and pictures directly from one drive online rather than having to download the file from one drive to the local hard drive? This would make it easier to add files and pictures without having a local drive, like tablets and chrome books.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. tags

Integrate the 'Tags Summary' window into OneNote for Windows 10.
    In OneNote 2016 and previous versions, there was a window that could be toggled on to show a summary of all tags. This was incredible useful for managing tasks across multiple projects/notebooks (by using tags to flag items that needed to be followed up on). The 'Search' function in OneNote Window10 falls sort of having similar functionality. First, it should be able to show all tags in one list (note require searching by each tag individually). Second, it should be dockable, so that it is remains visible while navigating, working,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Margins and paper size

I would like to switch from Evernote to OneNote but if there is not an option to change paper size or margins in the OneNote app this will not work for me. Not sure why those options aren't available. Seems crazy

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Password Protected Notes Lock time adjustment

Within the Windows 10 Store version of OneNote: Password protected sections lock after a few minutes. It would be useful to be able to adjust this lockout timer since some people enjoy the protection but constantly inputting the password throughout the day when a note is used as a reference instead of actively editing it can be repetitive since the timeout is so short.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to turn off autocorrect completely

I work in the software industry and there are a ton of words/acronyms that aren't considered "English words", however OneNote autocorrects them and it doesn't make any sense in the context that I need.

We were hoping to move to OneNote for our department as a collaboration tool, but until this is fixed we'll be staying put with Confluence.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to work offline is essential, OneNote is my main work tool

I use OneNote all the time and sync between OnedRIVE, two laptops and a desktop. I travel extensively and am frequently without Internet connection so the ability to work on a local copy until I can resynch is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL.

BTW - I never use the web version, too slow and clunky.

I have all my PhD work in OneNote so if I cannot work locally I will have to switch to the leading alternative which actually seems more popular in academic circles.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Replay needs to be enabled in full screen mode

Replay needs to be enabled in full screen mode

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Reminder / Alarm /follow-up on Page or task

In OneNote App on Win10, it would be really good if I could add a reminder / alarm to text , checkbox or similar.
    So that I can add it as a follow on a point I need to be reminded about.

If you forget it during a meeting, you will forget to check or follow up the item you had highlighted.

Thanks!

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Continue to support and develop OneNote 2016

Just about all the features of the 2016 desktop OneNote application that made it really useful; like History, Tags, (search facility and customisation), Quick Notes, Linked notes etc. have gone or have had the good parts removed. In fact, all the grown-up elements appear to have been ditched and instead we have stickers of "cats in suits". Most of the high ranking votes on this UserVoice are for the things people actually found useful in OneNote to being with. OneNote for Windows looks likes the result of a botched task on The Apprentice - get a grip!

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. printing onenote

When printing from onenote, print the page it is on. When I click print preview, I see the page I'm on. Then when I click print from the preview page it prints the top page and not the page I just previewed or that I have selected.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Reminder should be included in the functionality

Reminder should be included in the functionality

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)