OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Text recognition from images

Although UWP OneNote supports ink-to-text, image-to-text is exclusive to OneNote 2016. Hope the OCR feature can be brought back!

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ocr 365

Return OCR feature to OneNote 365. Used to be able to "copy text from image" one OneNote, no longer available on 365. Why would you ever REMOVE such a useful feature?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Web browser-like link preview

A link preview in at the down left of the screen like in most web browser would be useful to identify what the user is going to click on. It's already an habit for a lot of web user so it might integrate smouthly in habits

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Tabs like in browser, so you can open and keep favorities pages opened

I would like to keep documents in tabs like in Internet browser. See the screenshot of suggested solution:

https://i.imgur.com/5BFGEWF.jpg

I often use many documents but few of them I need on hand not to search them every time.

1) Once all the sections and subsections can be listed on the left or right side you can replace it with this suggested solution - have a look at the screen

2) Add option to replace or keep both tabs methods (2 lines of tab)

I hope, It will definitely improve quality of work in OneNote

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add tasklist/reminders calability

Ability to set reminders/connect Outlook tasklist and calendars in OneNote

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. You have to fix the bugs before anyone is going to use it. Community keeps sending me here.

I'm done here. There is zero point giving Ideas to a program group when their app is buggy.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Password Protected Notes Lock time adjustment

Within the Windows 10 Store version of OneNote: Password protected sections lock after a few minutes. It would be useful to be able to adjust this lockout timer since some people enjoy the protection but constantly inputting the password throughout the day when a note is used as a reference instead of actively editing it can be repetitive since the timeout is so short.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Automatically embed tweet from link

Currently when links to YouTube videos are pasted into OneNote, the application automatically fetches and embeds a linked title and video player.

I would love for OneNote to do something similar for tweets. Given a URL to an individual tweet, OneNote could fetch and display the tweet's author/handle/avatar, the metadata (date, number of likes/retweets/replies), and text of the tweet. It doesn't have to look exactly like Twitter's interface, but some kind of hero-like display that distinguishes the info from the rest of the note page would be very useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Modify tags in Microsoft Store version

Please add the ability to modify tags, as in the Desktop version, to the Store version. When modifying a tag, I would also like the option to modify it wherever it is applied in all open notebooks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Automatically widen table column to fit equation

Table column width does not adjust to equations the way it does to plain text. Please make table columns widen automatically to fit equations.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. tags

Integrate the 'Tags Summary' window into OneNote for Windows 10.
    In OneNote 2016 and previous versions, there was a window that could be toggled on to show a summary of all tags. This was incredible useful for managing tasks across multiple projects/notebooks (by using tags to flag items that needed to be followed up on). The 'Search' function in OneNote Window10 falls sort of having similar functionality. First, it should be able to show all tags in one list (note require searching by each tag individually). Second, it should be dockable, so that it is remains visible while navigating, working,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Isometric paper overlay

If you add a few isometric papers overlays it will be greatly beneficial to doing rough sketches in onenote before bringing them to solidworks, or when writing out 3D problems in class (Mechanical Engineering/Architecture).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. OneNote App A4 page size option.

Please do add option to set page size to A4, I do like infinite page but sometimes its good to restrict page size to A4 while taking notes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Embed Microsoft Office Whiteboard Images

One of the longest outstanding issues with OneNote is "Group objects and anchor ink to text and images".

A possible great alternative would be to embed Microsoft Office's Whiteboard images into OneNote. A screenshot that syncs to the latest version of the Whiteboard image could be shown in OneNote.

A user could right click & open the image in Whiteboard to edit it. Saving it would update the screenshot in OneNote.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable restricted page size

The unlimited page size is good. But we are used to regular page sizes a4, a3, a5, postcard etc... which feels quite odd to use unlimited page size and viewability... Why not have both options, unlimited page size and restricted page size like a4, a3,etc.. not just in full desktop version, but also in windows app and ipad versions?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. COPY a OneNote for Windows 10 Page

I want to COPY a OneNote page or section, so that I can send it to a SharePoint site (that I don't own), or attach it in an email.

This would allow us to take notes on the desktop OneNote and then post a copy to a SharePoint Doclib if/when we're ready to post to a shared repository.

We've been using OneNote as our primary documentation tool. It could be any of 100 different SharePoint sites within my company, so I'm not going to "log in on my desktop" to all of those. They're not owned by me, but I…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Insert equation symbols outside of equation

In OneNote 2016 and other Office apps, Equation Symbols can be added to the Quick Access Toolbar. In Word, inserting a symbol from this menu inserts it as plain text, and in OneNote 2016, it is inserted as an equation object. Please make OneNote insert it as plain text too (unless I'm typing in an existing equation).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. find and replace

You can't possibly be serious??? How can you not have a replace text function in OneNote??? This is crazy!!!

Please add this function ASAP

482 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Adding pages automatically

Page sizing option like in onenote 2016.
    Please allow user to flip to a new page or scroll down to a new page instead of creating new page as a tab. My work flow is impacted when i have to keep adding a new page instead of scrolling down or flipping to add a new page.
    Automatically set a new page in the same section to the previous page.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base