OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. OneNote constantly is cleaning up after startup.

Regarding OneNote for Win10 and Onenote 2016 - This is absolutely the worse explaination of any software that I have ever used. Your guidance is clear as mud.

Add back in Help About Version so that you can easily tell what version of the @$%!@$% software you are running.

OneNote - Who can tell what version of software, constantly cleaning up on startup.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We haven’t removed the version number from neither OneNote for Windows 10, nor OneNote 2016.

In order to find it, follow these steps:
    - In OneNote 2016 (just like in all Office products) : File > Account. The version number is located at the right side
    - In OneNote for Windows 10 : Use the “…” on the top right corner > Settings > About

Regarding the cleaning up issue, in order to get support please reach our experts at :
    https://support.office.com/en-in/onenote

2. WHY DO YOU BOTHER ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS IF YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEM???!!!

FOR OVER ***10 YEARS*** WE CANNOT DOUBLE-CLICK AND DRAG TO SELECT MULTIPLE WORDS.

WHY DON'T YOU FIX THIS -- IT IS SIMPLE!!!

WHY ASK US FOR SUGGESTIONS IF WE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR THIS SIMPLE FIX FOR OVER 10 YEARS?!?!?!?!?!? READ THIS...

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows-windows-phone/suggestions/6234352-double-click-and-drag-to-select-multiple-words

DOES MICROSOFT EVEN READ THESE THINGS?!?!?

YES I AM YELLING -- SO MAYBE MICROSOFT WILL PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!

HELLO!! ANYONE HOME?!?!?!?!?!

DO YOU HATE YOUR CUSTOMERS???? BECAUSE IT SURE SEEMS LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This should already be available.

Please open a new idea if you have more feedback, we’d love to hear it. We are processing a large number of ideas, hence the possible delays, but we will read all of them.

Thank you for all your feedback in helping us make OneNote for Windows 10 better.

3. rename notebook

Allow renaming of notebooks so when I (a Jr) share a notebook with my dad (a Sr) he doesn't see two notebooks both labeled Leo's notebooks and instead could rename the one I shared to something that makes sense for him. I know I can do that in 2016, but not in onenote.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available as of the July 2017 update. You should be able to nicknaming you notebooks by right clicking them and choosing “Nickname Notebook” from the context menu.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

4. convert ink into math or text for onenote app for windows 10

Have the ability to convert selected ink into math or text for the windows 10 app as an option that is available when you are in fullscreen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable more settings in Windows 10 version (cannot read default font size)

I just paid nearly AUD4000 for a brand new Surface Book, which is meant to have Windows 10 with all the bells and whistles, and I can't even change the default font size in OneNote, while older versions can.

Typing now on OneNote is practically useless since I can't even see size 11 on the screen.

Here is an idea. Take a leaf out of Google's book. Give the users what they want. Don't take away options and features - users do not like that.

Whether the intention was to streamline the Windows 10 version I don't know. But a…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available as of the January 2017 update. You should be able to set your defaults in the Settings > Options menu.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

6. Please allow for the embed of microsoft forms into pages of Onenote.

Allowing the embedding of a form into onenote would keep all of the instructional materials in one module for ease of student access...

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to let you know that this feature has already been added to OneNote for Windows 10.

In order to insert a Microsoft Form into a OneNote page, go to http://forms.microsoft.com/ and open the form of your choice.

Click on the Share button in the top right hand side, and verify the desired options.

The last step would be to copy the generated link into any OneNote page under the OneNote for Windows 10 app. OneNote will automatically recognize the link as a Microsoft Forms link and will show the form embedded on the page.

Try it with the following link:
    https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR0kk0CmJDHhGvF2le5s4LSVUNUhLMDZSOFhFNVpXM0VLT0tTRDhOS1dPRy4u

Thank you for posting on our portal and helping us improve OneNote!
    -The OneNote Team

7. Tell me what you want to do on OneNote 2016

In OneNote Online, you made the Tell me box and the other applications of Office 2016. So I need it also on OneNote 2016, please...

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available as of the June 2017 update.

8. Enable Inactive Scrolling

Windows 10 introduced a new native feature to allow scrolling on windows that were not in focus, ie inactive. https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/2435/windows-10-tip-scroll-inactive-windows

Inactive scrolling does not work for OneNote!

Repo: Open OneNote and pin to one half of screen. Open another application and pin to other half of screen. While other application is in focus, hover mouse over OneNote window and scroll.
    Expected: Expected OneNote to scroll even though inactive
    System: OneNote 2013 15.0.4787.1000, Windows 10 Pro Version 1511

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that this behavior is currently supported both in OneNote 2016 and OneNote for Windows 10.

You should be able to scroll through your OneNote window regardless of whether it has focus or not.

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote!
    -The OneNote Team

9. section group

I want to copy a whole section group which can be pasted to another notebook. At the moment you can only link to a section group.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this is now available as of the July update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-links-to-notebooks-sections-pages-and-paragraphs-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-48dd0e82-623c-405d-b63a-df4eaf55c72a?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

10. When typing in name of new section/section group, text entry will stop, and i have to manually rename

Whenever i create a new section or section group, i'll start typing, and then (without me pressing anything to cause it), the text entry will stop (as if i'd pressed escape, or clicked outside of the text entry box). I have to right click the section, rename and replace "Untitled Section 1" with what i was trying to type there.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this bug should have been fixed long ago as part of the July 2017 update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

11. Move multiple pages from one section to other section

At the moment Move multiple pages from one section to another section is one by one and it's better to have a feature to move whole at once.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this has been available in OneNote for Windows 10 May 2017 update. You should now be able to select multiple pages and either drag and drop them into the section of your choice or do the same via the Move/Copy dialog available in the context menu.

For a list of features added to OneNote for Windows 10 please visit the following article
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

12. Default Font

Please allow us to change the default font, or at minimum change the default to something more professional like Times New Roman.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that you can Set your Defaults (font family and size) in OneNote for Windows 10 as of the January 2017 update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

For a list of features added to OneNote for Windows 10 please visit the following article
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

13. Page deletion

I would like the ability to delete multiple pages. After deletion the next available page becomes active. Now I delete one page and jump to the top page of the section. Productivity bummer.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that this feature has been added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the May 2017 update.

You should be able to select multiple pages either with Ctrl + clicking or with Shift and clicking. Once multiple pages have been selected, you can right click them and click Delete and they should all get deleted in one go.

For more information please reference the following article:

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10!
    -The OneNote Team

14. Moving notebook bug

I came across what I assume to be a bug that happened when I moved a notebook to a new location and then back again. Details inside that will hopefully allow you to replicate it.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This problem should have been fixed by the OneNote for Windows 10 redesign update (July 2017).

15. Back and forth (move in history) button

I want to have a Feature in OneNote for Windows (Desktop) like "move in history of used sites back and forth" like in IE, so you can quickly Change back to the last OneNote site when you for example change temporarily to a site found in search results.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix copy/paste of images

When I copy an image from OneNote, and try to paste it somewhere else in OneNote, it doesn't work. (Yes, maybe there is a workaround, but that doesn't change the fact that this functionality is seriously busted.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This should have been fixed long ago. If you still encounter problems, please do let us know with as much detail to help us reproduce the issue.

For more details on updates to OneNote for Windows 10 please visit this page:

17. Add "Recent Notes" to the "Notebooks" section like mobile

Adding "Recent Notes" to the "Notebooks" section would greatly improve my productivity when using OneNote Desktop. I'm constantly switching between notes from different sections and notebooks and "Forward"/"Backward" just are precise enough.

Also, this features is available in all mobile versions of the App, so it makes sense to add to the desktop version.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the July 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:

18. OneNote needs a Shape recognition mode

While you are in this mode, you can draw a jiggery circle and OneNote converts it into a perfect round circle. Same for an axis or any kind of form that you can draw, it would tremendously help in Mathematics or Physics.
    Competitors (which I won't name here) already have this feature. I've been using OneNote around 2 years in school now and this feature would really make OneNote so much better.

371 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re excited to announce that Ink Shape Recognition is coming to OneNote this November on Windows 10, iPad, and iPad Pro. Ink Shape Recognition is a new mode that will automatically convert your hand-drawn shapes into perfect-looking shapes while inking. It recognizes over a dozen shapes including basics like circles, triangles and squares, as well as more complex shapes like quadrilaterals, pentagons and hexagons.

For more details, please check out this blog post: https://blogs.office.com/2015/10/20/onenote-partners-with-fiftythree-to-support-pencil-and-paper-plus-shape-recognition-coming-soon/

19. Windows Store app: Disable spell check

The OneNote app does not offer any option to turn off the automatic spell check, which leads to a flood of red underlines in text fragments that are in a different language than the system default.

222 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that with Hiding Proofing errors has been available for quite some time in OneNote for Windows 10. You should be able to find the toggle switch in the Settings > Options menu under Proofing > Hide Spelling Errors.

20. New Pages on Top

The natural way for new content to appear is on top of a list. Or do you have new mail items at the bottom of your Inbox?

My OneNote always puts added pages at the bottom of the list of existing pages.

I would like to see newly added pages on the top of the page list. Make this an option.

200 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10.

You now have the ability to customize where the newly created pages go under the Settings > Options menu. You may choose to create new pages:
    - Below the selected page
    - At the top of the page list
    - At the bottom of the page list

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base