OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Allow paper size with fized width and unlimted height

The current options are either unlimited width & height or fixed with & height.
    Can we have an option of fixed width and unlimited height.

Use case: Create notes that can be printed without affecting the size.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_other-mso_2010/annoying-feature-on-onenote-auto-paper-size/1cee3e5e-563b-4c7d-b151-997b7eb422cf

279 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Section tabs layout

Provide the option to layout onenote the way you want it as it applies to notebooks, section tabs and pages. It's impossible to please everyone, we all process information different. Give us the option to lay out onenote the way we want it.

199 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Give the power to customize back to the user

The reason I have always preferred Windows over Apple, is that Windows allows its users flexibility to customize its product and use them it whatever way works best for the user. Whenever I have used Apple products on the other hand, I feel as if I am forced to use their products in the way that Apple thinks is best.

However, it seems in recent times that Microsoft is heading down the Apple path.

The latest example in OneNote is that the option to have all NoteBooks be visible at all times on the left-side of the screen has been…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Quick note, screen clipping

I really like the quick note and screen clipping in OneNote 2016. Can you also made them in OneNote for Windows?

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ocr 365

Return OCR feature to OneNote 365. Used to be able to "copy text from image" one OneNote, no longer available on 365. Why would you ever REMOVE such a useful feature?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to drag and drop Outlook emails and have them print out in OneNote for Windows 10.

Currently when you drag and drop an email from Outlook into OneNote for Windows 10 it only inputs an image of that email icon. Would want it to do a full printout. Should be an option given like it does in OneNote 2016.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add functions from OneNote 2016 to OneNote app for Windows 10

I really miss several functions from the Microsoft Office version of OneNote 2016 in the OneNote app for Windows 10. And since you are planning to discontinue the MS Office version, I suggest to add at least theese functions:

- export to .one files
    - allow to store selected notebooks only locally on the PC drive
    - add paraghraph spacing
    - dock to desktop
    - create linked notes

Also some useful options from the Options tab such as:

- turn off/on the pen sensitivity
    - set the audio and video recording bit-rate (to save space or increase the quality)
    -…

141 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add in ALL OneNote 2016 features!!

Don't keep going down the Edge path, deploying a crippled app. E.G. being able to insert editable Excel file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please Add Page Templates to Windows 10 APP

OneNote 2016 has so much more functionality... if it's going away, please let us have PAGE TEMPLATES :)

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Tags mouse over

When I point to a tag in OneNote 2016, a mouse over bubble with the tag name is shown. This is very useful for tags with the same/similar picture, but different text. Please implement this again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. alphabetize folders

display notebooks in alphabetical order. I was able to do this on the mobile app, but can't figure out how to do it in the full version.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to turn off autocorrect completely

I work in the software industry and there are a ton of words/acronyms that aren't considered "English words", however OneNote autocorrects them and it doesn't make any sense in the context that I need.

We were hoping to move to OneNote for our department as a collaboration tool, but until this is fixed we'll be staying put with Confluence.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Tabs on top

I'd like to see the layout of OneNote for Windows 10 have an option to be similar to OneNote 2016. We are heavy users of OneNote 2016 and have Tabs on top and pages listed on the Right. The layout for OneNote 2016 is much better than the new OneNote for Windows 10.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Office 365: Allow sharing individual sections and pages without sharing the whole notebook

As per my understanding, is possible to do it if you have a personal account but we use Office365 for business and it's not possible to do it. Why? Is when it's more useful, when you are working and sharing notes between different departments (who don't have to see the entire notebook, just the one note you are working together)...

336 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. layout

Changing the layout. I was forced to the new version, now I am dealing with the inefficiencies of the new layout. Based on the posts here, it's been going on for a year now and apparently nothing has changed. Why waste your breath. I just started really using OneNote and then you muck up the format. Just give everyone an option on how they want it to look versus you forcing it on everyone. It seems like a simple solution.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. template store

A 'store' for templates where people could post and search for templates to download.

132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow sharing of notes rather than sharing of notebooks

I take a lot of meeting notes and I would like to just share the note rather than the entire notebook. Not I have to save as PDF before sending out my minutes but if I had the option for page level sharing I would be able to just share and collaborate on a single note rather than a whole not book.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. search feature

Please make the search feature more powerful. The Windows 10 Onenote app cannot find part of the searched item. It requires me to type the first letter of the searched words. e.g. If I'm searching for "vehicle" and type "ehicl", it will not find any matches until I type "veh".

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring back docking functionality

Add docked window mode like in the previous versions, which made it extremely useful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When Taking Meeting Notes: Alphabetize Participants. Also Sort them into "Attendee" (checked box) at top, and "Non-Attendee" (unchecked)

I take meeting notes in OneNote for very large meetings.
    The Participants list is never sorted by any order I can discern, so it would be helpful to sort them alphabetically by first name, so that we can easily find someone's name in the huge list of names.
    (Most of us manually type the names in at the bottom and then go back later to try and find the names in the huge list because it takes so much time to just find a name).

Also, it would be awesome if the act of checking the box next to a…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base