OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Maintain Outlook tasks and tags

Please, Please make sure the OneNote app has the desktop OneNote functionality to assign outlook tasks, tags, and a developer API for developers like Onetastic!

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Replay typed text word by word

It would be great, if you could increase the resolution of your "Replay feature", so that not only every sentence but every typed word becomes visible.

This would be a great tool for teachers to gain insight how exactly the students results came about.

Replaying typed text word by word would also be a great tool to identify plagiarism, since students tend to copy and paste whole sentences.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to drag and drop Outlook emails and have them print out in OneNote for Windows 10.

Currently when you drag and drop an email from Outlook into OneNote for Windows 10 it only inputs an image of that email icon. Would want it to do a full printout. Should be an option given like it does in OneNote 2016.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Insert Screen Clipping

Bring back Insert Screen Clipping in the Insert menu. Same functionality as Outlook 2016.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. page size

Have a function to show page limits to make printing notes / homework easier. Having to guess page size is annoying. Thank you.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When Taking Meeting Notes: Alphabetize Participants. Also Sort them into "Attendee" (checked box) at top, and "Non-Attendee" (unchecked)

I take meeting notes in OneNote for very large meetings.
    The Participants list is never sorted by any order I can discern, so it would be helpful to sort them alphabetically by first name, so that we can easily find someone's name in the huge list of names.
    (Most of us manually type the names in at the bottom and then go back later to try and find the names in the huge list because it takes so much time to just find a name).

Also, it would be awesome if the act of checking the box next to a…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. local

Store Notebooks on local drives,

i think every business customers of Microsoft (companies) need to store their notebooks on local drives or on networkshares in their local network. When i look here is every second ideo the storage on local drives.

This is so important.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. find and replace

Please add a "find and replace" function in One Note (similar in Word or Excel), so we can update the "text " and the "underlying link" (containing the text) across One Note without manually changing each text/link one by one (which is so in convenient and so last century). Please take this enhancement as priority.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. All-on-the-left layout is inefficient

All-on-the-left layout is inefficient - esp. when you have multiple sections and pages that you are jumping back and forth. All-on-the-left layout, compared to the 2016 layout, simply takes too much space if they are all being displayed. Having "Sections" on top helps a lot.
    This is the most important reason I switch to OneNote 2016 from the OneNote app. Sad to see 2016 is being dumped.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Changing the page creation date or time in OneNote for W10

Editing the page creation date and time shown directly under the page title is missing in OneNote for Windows UWA, but it is available in OneNote Desktop App. This feature is important if you want to have accurate date/time organisation with your OneNote pages !!

Please, include editing the page creation date and time shown directly under the page title in OneNote for Windows UWA.

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Transparency Options on Pens!

It would be amazing if you could add a transparency option to the pen selection.
    This way it would function exactly like an Highlighter but it would have a rounded edge, much neater than the highlight version and way easier to manipulate when used to fill and outline things!

In alternative, just add the option to choose different highlight shapes!

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Old Layout is better

Why did this change? So stupid. I'm trying to get the rest of my team on board with using OneNote, they see how well the old one works but when they go to load it they get this new layout ****. Not Happy.
    Fix it!

NOW!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Quick Note to Windows 10 App

The piece I love about the desktop version is being able to rightclick on the taskbar and do "new quick note". It is far superior to Stickies, but it isn't available in the Windows 10 app. Please add it to the Windows 10 App.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Store notebooks on your local hard drive instead of in the cloud, including backups

I often work where there is not internet connection and I must be able to work offline on my local notebooks and sync them to the cloud later. I can not use the new OneNote for Windows 10 because it only allows access to notebooks in the cloud. I use OneNote 2016 for this very reason.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. navigation pane

Please bring back the navigation pane of Onenote 2016, which is fully functional and can be customized. The one on windows 10 Onenote is just a nightmare.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Sort Sections

Add ability to sort Sections and option for Section Groups (which already sort) among Sections

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please Do Not Discontinue OneNote for Windows - Laptops & Tablets Often Don't Have Internet Available

I'm hearing rumors that Microsoft is thinking about eliminating the desktop version. Please do not. There are many times when I am in a building needing to take notes and do not have internet available for my Surface tablet.

265 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Page Size Guide Lines

It would be a great feature to have some sort of overlay line with standard page sizes for example a guide line for an A4 page on a note. This allows the user to make sure their notes do not exceed the printing dimensions of the paper format they want to print in.

In my use case, I had a maths written assignment where I wanted to do it on my Surface Book 2. One note was almost the perfect candidate to write it on but I had difficulties making sure that what I write is within the dimensions of…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a sort function to quickly organize notes. Nothing fancy. Something like the way that Outlook can sort folders. AtoZ will be fine

Having a basic sorting function would dramatically boost the core functionality of OneNote. It can exist solely on pages, but having the ability to sort pages and Sections would not be bad either.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Must have ability to merge and split cells!

The most popular post that mentioned this was in 2014 and it still is not fixed, so I thought it was worth suggesting again. This seems to be a very basic functionality of a table on any computer program.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base