OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Improve search functionality

Some hints how to improve search in WP app:

- Highlight searched phrase in the note text (like OneNote web app or Evernote does)
    - Allow to jump between the phrase ocurrences

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Finding occurrences of a search term on a page and jumping from one to another is possible in OneNote for Windows 10 as of the June 2017 update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article under “Find text on a page”
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

2. More saved pens in Pen radial

Been using OneNote for note taking during lessons, and I find that the current saved pen slots in the radial menu inadequate. would like to be able to set more saved pens to allow for faster pen switching!

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have a Help Menu

If OneNote has a Help menu, I don't seem to be able to find it. I have to leave the app, search the Internet, and sift through a bunch of forums to find a simple answer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello-
    OneNote help is included in the “Tell me what you want to do” in the upper right hand corner. It is designated by the light bulb icon. Just type in your question and it will direct you to help content or give you instructions in the Help pane.

4. Add back in Ink-to-text

Ink to text is a key feature in One Note 2016. Why would you leave it out of One Note for Windows 10? Now I have to toggle between the two apps to get the functionality I want. Confusing as heck.

220 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Converting Ink to Text is available as of the September update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use. You can find this feature ribbon under the Draw tab.

For more details, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Write-notes-and-draw-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-82d1189d-eb6d-4b07-9101-b50e13645c28?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

5. tag

Add tags to OneNote. This feature is critical, how was it left off the new version?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Feature to create links to other Notebook's, Sections, or Pages within OneNote

This feature should be similar to website links. It should allow you to create internal links that point to another Page, Notebook, or Section within OneNote. Thank you so much for the effort you put to provide this service! I love OneNote!!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that this feature has been added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the September 2017 update.

You are now able to copy a link to a Notebook, Section Group, Section, Page and paragraph.

For more information please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10!
    -The OneNote Team

7. Multiple OneNote windows

I'd like to have detachable OneNote windows. This would provide the facility to keep two sets of content in view simultaneously. It would, enable, for example, the ability to work with content from different sections or tabs at the same time, instead of switching between tabs/sections to do so, as now.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the July 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Dear Bianca,

We are please to inform you that this is somewhat available as part of the context menu options on notebooks. Simply right click a given notebook and choose Pin To Start to have a shortcut that lands you directly into that notebook.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and helping us improve OneNote.

9. Put the name of the open Notebook at the top of the screen

It's confusing knowing which Notebooks is the current one being worked on when switching frequently between notebooks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available in the September 2017 update:

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

11. Option to turn off Preview on Windows 10

I would really like to have the option to turn off the pages preview on the left side navigation pane on OneNote for Windows 10. I have many pages for each section, and having the preview makes me have to scroll for a really long time to find the pageI want.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. LET ME SEARCH WITHIN A PAGE

With the new update, searching (pressing ctrl+f) just opens up the black menu to the left which searches through all my files for occurences of the word, and when I click on one to read them, it hides the highlghted text (which I was searching for.) Why???!!!??!!??!?? How the shit am I supposed to search through an individual document/page now??? So retarded.... thats such a basic feature.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was completed as part of the UI redesign for OneNote for Windows 10.

You should now be able to go into search mode by clicking on the search icon from the navigation on the left or in the top right of the window (depending on the mode). In the search pane, you will find the option to find things only on the current page. Alternatively, the Ctrl + F keyboard shortcut should also pre-select the “Current Page” scope for you. Continuously pressing enter in the search box will also jump around the search various search hits in the page.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
    https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/05/18/note-taking-made-easier-for-everyone-redesigning-onenote/

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Pls fix the bugs with the 'To Do Tag' and 'Find Tags' functions in OneNote.

Fix the bugs with the 'To Do Tag' and 'Find Tags' functions.

It is impossible to use either of these functions with handwritten notes without the application crashing. It is extremely frustrating and for me at least largely defeats the purpose of using OneNote

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Error Code 80004005

Suddenly, OneNote for Windows Phone 8.1 refuses to sync. Lots of people seems to have this problem lately. How can it be fixed!

It's frustrating!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Pencil function in 2016

Can you please add the pencil function to OneNote 2016. It is a great feature I love in OneNote.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this is now available as of the July 2017 update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

17. It would be super helpful if you could choose to select multiple pages at the same time to view simultaneously.

It would be super helpful if you could choose to select multiple pages at the same time to view simultaneously. If I have a section for different cell lines, and then in those sections i have a page that shows a picture, it would be helpful to view the two or more pages form two or more different sections simultaneously to view comparisons.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. A very wonderful application but still contains some little problems.

It's a very good and nice app but should be containing some certain features to help improve it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. User manual

Have an easily accessible user manual or help tab

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We do have an up to date Help link in the Settings menu. When clicking the Help button, you will be redirected to the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/OneNote-for-Windows-10-Help-02f3955f-a1df-4458-9724-b8cc0b4d5437?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Also, for more information on updates to OneNote for Windows 10, please visit the following article:

Thank you for all your feedback in helping us shape the next version of OneNote.

20. Undo | Redo Button Please

I am typing a lot on my phone using OneNote application.
    When suddenly my phone select all the words automatically,
    and I accidentally pressed space bar which wiped out my 3 pages of work.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that this feature has been added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the May 2017 update.

You should now be able to undo and redo in OneNote for Windows 10.

For more information please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10!
    -The OneNote Team

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base