OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Center Equations

When centering equations in OneNote, it always falls back into being left-aligned after a minute or so. A workaround would be to add a number at the equation (<equation> #1) but numbering equations is not always a formatting preference. I hope the OneNote team can fix this bug.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Incorporate To-Do

I want to be able to create lists and arrange them and prioritize the actions with a drag and drop capability. It would be nice to see if Microsoft could incorporate it's To-Do app into OneNote or build a similar functionality natively into OneNote. Priorities change constantly and giving the user the ability to arrange items on a list with drag and drop rather than cut and paste would be so much more helpful.

357 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cloud Attachment from file already in the Cloud / without uploading again somewhere else

I would like the possibility to embed a file located in the Cloud example in my OneDrive or a Teams SharePoint into OneNote.
    If users don't have access to this file then the preview shall notify this.

currently you can only attach a file and upload to your OneDrive

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Reminder / Alarm /follow-up on Page or task

In OneNote App on Win10, it would be really good if I could add a reminder / alarm to text , checkbox or similar.
    So that I can add it as a follow on a point I need to be reminded about.

If you forget it during a meeting, you will forget to check or follow up the item you had highlighted.

Thanks!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. find and replace

You can't possibly be serious??? How can you not have a replace text function in OneNote??? This is crazy!!!

Please add this function ASAP

428 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Code block

I'd really like to ability to insert a code block. Just a simple block that has a different background than the surrounding text.

If this were paired with source code formatting, and editing, that would be an amazing enhancement to OneNote.

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Record Video Like You Can in OneNote 2016!!

I would like the video recording feature to be returned! I need to be able to continue recording videos into my OneNote. Not linking---recording directly from OneNote.

159 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Text recognition from images

Although UWP OneNote supports ink-to-text, image-to-text is exclusive to OneNote 2016. Hope the OCR feature can be brought back!

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Windows 8 OneNote 2016 Excel spreadsheet function to Windows 10 OneNote

Windows 8 and OneNote 2016 have some good features when working with Excel Spreadsheets. e.g. In OneNote 2016 there is a Microsoft Excel button that allows new or existing Excel spreadsheets to be opened and edited. Once opened there is an edit button in upper left corner of the spreadsheet. When clicked Excel opens and I can add data and edit the spreadsheet. Then when I quit Excel the new changes to the spreadsheet appear in the OneNote version of the spreadsheet. Very neat! I wish OneNote for Windows 10 had this feature.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Advanced autocorrect options

The inability to change autocorrect options is a nightmare for basically everyone I can think of, as seen by the number of suggestions already posted here. I'm taking notes on equations for Density Functional Theory and can't write out a portion of the functional because (R) automatically changes to the registered trademark symbol. As far as I can tell, there is no possible way to change this with the current update.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Line spacing

In OneNote 2016, there is a paragraph spacing option which is not available in the newer version of OneNote. Can we please have this integrated into the newer version of OneNote because as pick as it may sound, I like having my whole notes page with the same spacing all the way down. I can adjust the spacing in 2016 but not the newest version.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Old Layout is better

Why did this change? So stupid. I'm trying to get the rest of my team on board with using OneNote, they see how well the old one works but when they go to load it they get this new layout ****. Not Happy.
    Fix it!

NOW!

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. FIX THE BLURRY TEXT IN ONENOTE UPDATE

I had to download a new Microsoft Office and now my Onenote flicks back and forth between having clear text and having fuzzy, poorly rendered text. It is awful to look and and makes the app so difficult to use.This has been very frustrating and I cannot find a way to fix it.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Adding mathematical formulas in dark mode

As of now in OneNote, it's hard to add formulas in dark mode because the white text is highlighted white when entering formulas and hence you can't see what you're typing unless you switch to light mode and then enter the formula and then switch back.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Customize Header Styles

The built-in header styles are useful but limited to the default settings. It would be helpful to be able to customize them for different font schemes. This feature is already present in Word where you can create styles.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Integrate Onenote with the SUBTASKS and with the NOTES of the tasks (not only with the tasks)

The perfect way to synchronize tasks such as Outlook or Microsoft To Do ones with Onenote it is as follows:

Notes of the tasks:
    • If the task is in the title of the onenote page, make the content of the page sync as the note of the task.
    • If the task is in any paragraph, make their indented paragraphs sync as the note of the task.

Subtasks:
    • If the task is in the title of the onenote page, make the tasks that are in the content of the page sync as the subtasks.
    • If the task…

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Changing the page creation date or time in OneNote for W10

Editing the page creation date and time shown directly under the page title is missing in OneNote for Windows UWA, but it is available in OneNote Desktop App. This feature is important if you want to have accurate date/time organisation with your OneNote pages !!

Please, include editing the page creation date and time shown directly under the page title in OneNote for Windows UWA.

164 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add calendar integration in to the one Note

While working on the pages, I usually use One Note as a GTD Tool.
    The Tags are here and everything is here to make OneNote as a perfect GTD Solution what's missing is the Date filter.

I want to assign a future date like the Outlook Task so that it reminds me to use the specific page for that purposes..

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Sticky Notes button to OneNote sidebar

Add Sticky Notes button to sidebar, with option to have a Sticky Note relevant to the current page as a pinned note of subtext.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Intellij - copy paste code to Onenote lost spaces with formatting in Intellig IDEA

Intellij - copy paste code to Onenote lost spaces with formatting in Intellig IDEA

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base