OneNote for Windows

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.
We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Give us the previous navigation layout back in OneNote for Windows 10

I HATE the layout of the new navigation manu in the latest update of OneNote app for Windows 10, in this model, you can't customize the menu position, etc while you could in the previous versions. I don't understand why you think you need to change what's good while you do not touch what's bad! Please give us the previous navigation layout. It had no problem.

765 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

91 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better drawing and shappes tools

Why not bring the tools for drawing shapes, already built-in in Power Point to OneNote?
    As far as like OneNote for teaching, it is very limited when i need regular shapes and precision drawing.
    i.e. In Power point i can draw vectors and specify its size and direction by setup size and rotation in its properties (with precision numbers), but in OneNote, an arrow its just an arrow without any specific configurations.
    i.e. In Power point, a single line can be shapped in many configurations, that for technical data, can make all the difference.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Picture resize features (previous/default size + keyboard shortcut)

I paste many images to OneNote to prepare for lessons, and every time I paste an image in its original size, I need to resize it using mouse by dragging the edges. Using the mouse every time is exhaustive.

The below two features may be tremendously helpful in such use case:
    ■ Ability to set custom default size of pasted pictures (or set to be like previously resized picture):
    It will be helpful to have an Option to set a custom default size of the pasted pictures in OneNote.
    User can set the width or height only and image is…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. My oneNote feed Not working

ONENote feed not working everytime I try to login in error code: 0x80049dbe.
    And this is trying to sync my Samsunf notes to my onenote.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Graph View Like Obsidian.md (Mind map)

We want your second brain to work like a real brain, so Obsidian encourages you to make connections between your notes. Simply type [[ and Obsidian will auto-complete the link.

With connections in place, you can navigate your notes and get inspiration with backlinks and graph view.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Prevent students copying a page to get around it being locked

Did you know a locked page can be copied by students and then it is no longer locked. So if you distribute a test page ahead of time for example with the questions hidden, they can copy it then the page is no longer locked, so they can un-hide the questions. This is a serious flaw

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Possibility of Collapsing and Expanding the subpages of each page in each section

Hi,
    As someone who is using OneNote a lot, I have a lot of pages and sub-pages in each section.
    In general, the list of pages is not visually informative enough. Something that shows the tree view, and has the usual features of a tree view would be very helpful.

1- I would prefer to see a difference in the visual style of pages and subpages (for example different font-weight or colour).

2- The sign which shows the page has subpages better to be at the left side of the tree, but currently, it is on the right side and…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hand tool Panning on both versions!

Please add a pan option with the middle mouse button for both versions.. or any sort of shortcut with a pan.
    I will have to change programs because I use such large sheets that panning is really NEEDED!
    Please! Thank you

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Pen Writing Support for Onyx Boox Devices

OneNote has a horrible lag since the OneNote Android app does not support the hardware of Onyx Boox devices. (Note Air, Max Lumi) Please help use their APIs so that there is no pen latency and Onyx Users do not need to abandon the OneNote ecosystem.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Page versions or "History" in OneNote for Windows 10

In OneNote for Windows 10 APP, I cannot see "page versions." In the BROWSER version and in the Teams TAB, I can see "page versions" under "View," but it does not consistently work. I've tried clicking "show authors" first, as suggested on some help site, but it still does not always show the history of a document/page.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SET DEFAULT PROOFING LANGUAGE PERMANENTLY IN ONENOTE

How the **** can it be that I cannot change the default proofing language permanently in OneNote in 2020 for all new pages or sections I make?! This issue has been posted since 2016!!!
    Every time you make a new section or page or whatever, it will change back to whatever it originally had as proofing language, regardless of you having literally wiped the original language from the PC entirely and set the default proofing language in OneNote under File>Options>Language to something completely different

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeonenote-msowin10-mso_365hp/change-the-proofing-language-for-a-whole-notebook/75de343f-604c-4187-8fa1-ddb2de7193c9

Get to ******* work, Microsoft! This cannot be real!!

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Take pictures in OneNote office 365

It would be nice to take pictures in the office version of OneNote because it is possible in the store version but not in the office version.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. OneNote Reminder

One note is amazing, but the app. has not reminder, most of the notes need to be reminded later for follow-up or to-do tasks. hence it is better and a must to do opt for the new version of one-note. please add this option like IOS reminder.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. could you add a feature to show history of the recent pages you have viewed.

i have to view multiple pages and go back and forth alot. It would be great to have a history where you can just click on a previously viewed page instead of having to do a search.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. layout

this needs to be fixed--truly a setback

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Create an option to remove the profanity filter on dictation

Please please remove the profanity filter on dictation - I use this feature for ease and speed. As a uni student we have to read 100's of pages a week and I read aloud the quotes I want to using the dictator as it saves me so much time instead of writing out the quote. This week I was doing a reading on trafficking and the word turned into stars as did the world . This made my whole task longer as I had to go through and change every word from stars to the actual word. Not only do

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Windows 10 + Office 2016= Useful Product

It needs to have the same functions as onenote 2016 plus the windows functions. I'm tired of having to use both because neither has all the functions I need. It honestly is baffling that so many features are exclusive to one or the other.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. One Note for Windows 10 lacks many of the basic features available on OneNote 2016

I'm not quite sure how Microsoft describes OneNote for Windows 10 as the "best version" when it lacks many of the basic features available on OneNote 2016. I'm sure there are several other features missing from this supposedly new and improved version, but I'll list a few problems I ran into that are of absolutely no issue on OneNote 2016.

1. In OneNote for Windows 10 you can only insert a printout of a PDF. In order to insert a PowerPoint or Word document, etc. you’ve got to first convert the file to a PDF on your own (outside of the…

1,694 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add more/all formatting features in TABLES in OneNote

I've noticed that Microsoft Office 365 OneNote has more formatting options for EQUATIONS than TABLES. I can't find the merging option for multiple cells in the table and it's lacking more than you can in other Microsoft Office apps.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Annotating pdf files

This is probably a known issue for most users, but I just got burned.
    If you insert a PDF as a printout and then highlight / annotate it, there's absolutely no connection between that PDF and annotations. None whatsoever. If you move the printout the annotations will end up in wrong places.
    This is a very poor behavior for a program that's supposed to be all about working with data. Especially given that in Word you can group graphic elements together - it's not like MS doesn't have that concept.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base