OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. For OneNote on Windows and on iPhone to link via WiFi to Office OneNote so that it avoids using OneDrive

I would like to see OneNote on Windows and on iPhone linking via WiFi to my Office OneNote so that it avoids using OneDrive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Send to OneNote and Windows 10 Creative keyboard shortcuts

To the Microsoft team: You now made Windows-Shift-S into Print Screen.  So when you use that keyboard command (which we've gotten used to as OneNote's Send to OneNote), nothing appears to happen.

Please give us that command back.  It's a pain to screen capture, open OneNote, go to the right page, then paste.  Or to click the tray icon while you are typing (you know, grab the mouse, navigate, click - that's why keyboard shortcuts are so nice).   And since the menu prompt on OneNote tray icon still shows WIndows-Shift-S as Send to OneNote, you are confusing (frustrating) us.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. It would be nice to have the ability to quickly get a list of links to all of the OneNote Notebooks I have open

I have 10 or more team and organization wide notebooks I keep open all of the time. When I move to a new laptop or have a new email address, it would be really helpful if I could export a quick list of links to all of the OneNote Notebooks I have permission to and use on a regular basis.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. "Find Tag" list as an active window that doesn't go away when Onenote loses focus.

"Find Tag" list is like the god view of all the stuff you have to do, really great, but once you are working on another program, it disappears. It does reappear when you click back into OneNote. I want to leave OneNote running in the background, with the "Find Tag List" viewable, albeit partially covered with other windows.

The "create summary list" will not do it because it duplicates the To Do tag so now you have two entries for each item.

So close to a nice way to keep a master "To Do" list that is connected to an…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. You need to improve the journal line notebook viewing feture.

The feature to view the background with notebook lines is very cool, and a feature that makes OneNote look more natural and compelling, but it is only a background/ backdrop feature, and you cannot really adjust the writing box to fit into or in-between the writing lines. I have tried numerous font and font sizes, but none seem to fit accurately or in line with the notebook lines. I would really love a template background that automatically adjusts the cursor/ font size to fit the notebook lines. It would really help as this feature helps with my eyes and just…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Button that links to interactive, custom-made questions;

For example, next to the notes I take in class, I want to be able to add a button or link that takes me to a question I create that relates to the topic. I think this would be useful for learning material; I would be able to briefly review my notes, and then press on the button/link and practice a related problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow the OneNote for Windows 10 App to open two sections side by side

Allow the OneNote App to open two sections concurrently. This feature is available for OneNote 2016 but not for the app.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. OneNote files on SharePoint never delete history

We store some OneNote files on SharePoint. Everything works fine except that those files are using a lot of space on SharePoint and it rapidly increase.

That is because all history are kept, so anyone that make a change to the file create a new version.

I logged a ticket with Microsoft and this appears to be an issue by design.

The goal would be to have the versioning handled by SharePoint like any other file.

Here are details on this issue on 2 posts that I created :
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b54ddf03-62d7-4ee4-8deb-2b0ab97a692c/onenote-files-on-sharepoint-never-delete-history?forum=officeitpro

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeonenote-msowinother/onenote-files-on-sharepoint-never-delete-history/c9650e3d-4797-414d-835e-c31a55f86aaf?rtAction=1497451948479

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable move to SD

Enabled move OneNote to SD, because the internal memory is very limited!!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Reduced accessibility

The changed interface is less logical and visually accessible, cluttering up more of the screen with menus which obscuring content. How can I revert to the previous interface?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Redirect Hyperlinks

Much like the system employed on Wikipedia or similar Wikis, an option to have multiple "titles" per page so that they all redirect to the same one. Useful when things have multiple names or even just shorthands like initials or abbreviations.

Example:
    Creating and clicking on the link "[[Varmints]]" would redirect to the "Vermin" page if you set that as an alternate title to the page.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Highlight color and formatting as an option for Autocorrect shortcuts

Hi!

Thanks everybody, for your hard work! OneNote continues to get more and more awesome! (I do *really* wish add-in designers would get inspired...there is an untapped PLETHORA of endless ways to integrate "fabulosity" into this program!! :-) I use it for everything from tracking my bills, to a receipt and owner's manual repository of big / electronics purchases, to a "wellspring" of cool and creatively inspiring or note(ha!)worthy web clips, to the most important, tracking the many and changing complicated scheduling chart of when to take what medicine and check off whether I have. This is INVALUABLE for someone
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. OneNote need to get a real cloud sync

When will OneNote stop use a html files into OneDrive for sync? this dosent make a real sync if i post something into OneNote one my Android and go to my Windows 10 PC open OneNote first thing i need to do is tabb Sync, for the stuff to downloads frome OneNote homepage to a html file to my OneDrive for later read it.

Evernote, Google Keep etc etc has no local files you post you stuff to, they use a cloud basic with API they get you data frome API and post to there database.

So when you normaly…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. OneNote stops syncing on Windows Phone 7.5 and displays sync errors 80004005, e4010641, e0000140

Sounds like the same issue that was affecting WP8.1 users back in April 2017; as of 6/10/17 OneNote Mobile version 14.5 is no longer syncing to OneDrive and I cannot access any notebooks on my phone, last sync 6/5/17.

I am receiving the following errors:

Error when trying to open a note:

There’s a problem

There was a problem and we couldn’t complete this task. Try again.

Error code = e0000140

Error when trying to sync:

There's a problem

There was a problem and we couldn’t complete this task. Try again.

Error code = 80004005

Error when selecting “view sync…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Give all storage locations equal billing in the Open Notebook UI

In OneNote 2016 the Open note UI has a fixed size box "Open in OneDrive". All other locations are 'Other Locations', even sharepoint or OneDrive for business.

The 'Other Locations' section is below the "Open in OneDrive" section. On a 1366x768 screen 75% of the screen is wasted, and you have to start scrolling to view the relevant notebooks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Reduce screen clipping image proportions when pasting into email

With OneNote 2016 when screen clipping an image into the clipboard and pasting it into an email, the sizing of the image is huge and requires me to resizes with the mouse multiple times to a size that makes sense for the receiver to read.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add full international keyboard support

Add full international keyboard support. Accents work already, but typing œ by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+& then o doesn't work in OneNote, but does work in word and other office products.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Right-click link for inserting webpage clipping *within OneNote*

Problem: A lot of apps / third-party implementations send links instead of full pages to OneNote. This makes the OneNote page just a link saver, and you have to click the link, open in Edge, and print that back to OneNote to get the content of the article into OneNote.

Solution: Right-click option for "Clip link webpage to this page," which would do just that...insert a printout of the link into that page.

Bonus points: This brings up the familiar implementation of the Edge Extension "Clip to OneNote: Full Page / Article / Bookmark"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. OneNote should Export my Notes to New Phone when I Move.

We don't all have the luxury of transferring our data to a new phone, especially when the old phone breaks. I was hoping I'd get my files back when I signed into my OneNote account with my new phone, but it was completely empty.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base