OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Import file (PDF, DOC, JPG, etc) as page to allow document management and to remove workflow distractions.

I would like to click "one button" to import a file (such as a PDF or JPG) as the actual page; while retaining 'One Note' functionality and a quick way to replicate the document and edit as a form.

A workflow process (example) would be, in an open notebook:
    1. Import document as page, such as a PDF form.
    2. Select the page within One Note without any need to adjust/stretch to a page size, alter backgrounds, etc.
    3. Manage, edit, handle however necessary.

More importantly, if the feature is already there - then, simply make it more pronounced.

The…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Group drawing and screen clipping in a table cell

I suggest you "group" screen clippings and drawings by placing them in a table and add a feature where table cells contain a Canvas element. Both the clipping and the drawing would be added to the canvas, which would provide the needed "group" behavior.

I use a two column table for notes, where I place a timestamp in the left column. All day long I take notes which include screen clippings, Often I need to annotate the clipping with an ellipse or a highlight from the Drawing tool. Then -- every time -- I take another screen clipping of the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Can search results box be made transparent to allow seeing the content beneath it?

In certain searches for a word, I am finding the matched word beneath the search result box, as I have increased the width of the page (which I want for overview of the content--lot of content view in little space). Can the search result box be made transparent, instead of the now existing white one?

Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Search web with selection

Add function to contextual menu: Search the web [user-selected search engine via Options] using the selected text, from within ON. I added this to Excel via VBA [minus the selectable engine] and it is extremely useful and time-saving.

Added bonus would be some way to bring the search results back into ON as notes but what would look like is more detail than you probably want :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Change default view

Need to be able to change the default view from Recent Items. I rather have it go to a list of Notebook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please add "create contact groups"

Outlook allows users to create contact groups so users don't have to type in emails every time when they want to send something to the same group. This will help teachers to group student emails based on the class rosters and send notes to specific groups. Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. permit changing highlighter color

... to make it thae same as in OneNote 2016 for Office

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Stop working on enhancements and make it reliable

I used to ask for all kinds of features. Lately, I have so many corrupted onenote files, that I am ready to move to another product. I sincerely recommend halting all new feature development and just make the darn thing reliable and recoverable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2016 OneNote Notebooks needs to have options to enlarge icons for sections and section groups.

The new 2016 OneNote Notebooks icons for sections and section groups are very tiny. These need to be enlarged, so they are easier to see and select!

Please give us an icon choice of small, medium and or large.

Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Onenote uservoice site doesn't allow to edit comments

1. I've posted some comment and then noticed a misspelling. It should be a way to edit my own comment. The workaround to copy old text, submit it as new comment and then delete old one is not convinient. In particular, there can be other comments created after my original, and deleting it can cause confusing sequence of comments.

2.BTW I didn't find a forum section to give feedback about the forum https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/ itself. Uservoice seems also doesn't provide such option http://www6.uservoice.com/l/17202/2015-09-25/2vxvg9?uvcompanyname=OneNote%20Team&uvexperience=portal&uvcontacturl=onenote.uservoice.com&utmcampaign=footerpoweredby&utmmedium=product&utmsource=onenote.uservoice.com?uvcompanyname=OneNote%20Team&uvexperience=portal&uvcontacturl=onenote.uservoice.com&utmcampaign=footerpoweredby&utmmedium=product&utmsource=onenote.uservoice.com
    Please…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Split history search and highlighting changed text within notes.

On Windows History search shows all recent text in yellow background- very annoying if the whole new article is highlighted.
    Yow should split history search in two separate actions - one to search notes/pages and highlight titles of filtered pages, but keep natural(white) background in the notes. And another action- annotate history within individual pages similar to Visual Studio Source Control Annotate/git blame.
    Related -https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows-windows-phone/suggestions/11038782-allow-change-of-search-highlighting-color

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Lack of path through sections

You have to make the hierarchy more clear. Possible through a diagram of some sort. (https://www.screencast.com/t/OOUaqyWkYN) Lack of a more visual path through sections is still a major flaw in the program.
    Phillip@brokerdealerselect.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Have a quick way to go to the top or bottom of the pages panel

it's a pain point to go to the most recent notes in the pages panel. have short cuts or buttons to quickly navigate to the most recent or back to the top.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. overlay

OneNote linked to Word via linked notes are great. Even better would be to have a OneNote overlay on the Word document (in stead of the docked window) where you could type/write comments.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix Problem when moving pages out of the Quick Notes folder in my OneDrive.

When I move a page in the Quick Notes folder in my OneDrive to a different folder, the page tab of the page below changes to say "untitled page" even though there is text on it. (I'm using OneNote 2013.)

I posted this on the Microsoft Community board (see link below) and the moderator there suggested I also post it here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeonenote-msoother/problem-when-moving-pages-out-of-the-quick-notes/037c8ded-8c1d-40fa-ad76-9b90d6a1e1bd

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. It would be very cool if this and other programs could have "skins"/themes you could apply broader than the tiny little upper right graphics

it would be a very fun, personalization (more owner attachment, more subscription renewals, I would think?)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. [BUG] When selecting ruled line colors, color names are presented instead of the actual colors.

Input is based on version 1708, build 8424.1000. Click on [Rule Lines], drill down to [Rule Line Colors] and instead of showing colors, names of colors are presented instead of the actual colors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. at the end of an equation the right arrow key

It would helpful to be able to exit an equation editor box using the right arrow key without automatically going to a newline.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Stickers are not workin

When I click on stickers all it says if "Loading" and nothing comes up

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)