OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. classroom tab color selection

in class notebooks, allow recall/delete of entire pages or copying tabs to entire class (distribute tab). distribution doesn't maintain color of tab or indents on right menu

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When inserting pictures, use EXIF "Orientation (rotation)" tag to keep pictires the correct way up

At present, inserting pictures (e.g. 4:3 JPEG) via drag and drop (from File Explorer to OneNote 2016) results in all pictures being added as landscape. However, some pictures are in portrait, as described by the EXIF "Orientation (rotation)" tag, which the camera (smartphone) decided to set, based on the camera sensors.

This means that the user has to multi-select the pictures and rotate them manually

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sync contents of Notepad with OneNote

Sync the contents of Notepad with onenote.for example, all the files created in Notepad should have the option to be saved/synced to a Note book in Onenote.

And also if possible, Multiple tabs in Notepad.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Pen remap

Allow the buttons to have alternative features. I rarely use lasso and would much rather have an alternative colour assigned to one of my two buttons.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Select all after a certain point in a page so that you can write more in between parts.

I do a lot of calculations, and I often like to insert bits and pieces inbetween things I already have, but I find it very difficult to select everything after this point and move it down. It would be soo easy if i could just hold the pen down, and then press "select all after" and then be able to drag it all down to make room for something I want to insert.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Carrying over checklists for day by day objectives

I use OneNote for a work environment where I cannot keep up with all the different directions I'm pulled in, so I update it on the go with my phone and the desktop when I'm in the office. This has been a very valuable tool for me to keep track of requests. I'd like to suggest a format which would be useful for this type of thing- I strongly believe many would benefit from this.

I make a separate tab for each week and then I post make a new date for every day horizontally across the notepad. Then I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Screen Clipping choice of

Screen Clipping choice of destination has quit working. I have selected in options>send to one note>always ask where to send. Now the Screen Clipping always goes to Clipboard. I'm using a Surface 3 with the latest Microsoft updates for OS and Word 365 that I pay for annually. The same problem started on my desktop ASUS computer about a month ago. I have not yet tried to remove One Note and Re-Install. Please provide a fix for this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When doing an outline such as I, A, 1., a., 1), a. the characters do not indent appropriately

When doing an outline such as I, A, 1., a., 1), a. the characters do not indent appropriately as in Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Have staff trained in using the Classroom Notebooks (in educational settings) at the Microsoft Stores

Please make sure that each of your stores has at least a few staff members that are trained to help teachers set up class notebooks. Several teachers at my school have made appointments to go in for personal training and help, only to find that the associate who was scheduled wasn't knowledgeable on specific class notebook questions. I went in for help and lucked into working with someone who was able to answer all of my questions, but that hasn't been my experience on all of my visits.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Reviewing Student work

When I bring up the list to renew student work, I then click through each one to mark it. I would like the option then to export or event print that list to show who did the work and who did not. I do not want to give grades (just feedback), and nor do I want to use Edmodo so that I can export any grades. I just want to keep the list of who did it and who didn't.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Auto saving every 3 seconds

I don't have any time to save files so why doesn't one note do it automatically every three seconds so I don't have to worry that my great creative ideas will get lost

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Increasing user adoption rates by modification of two OneNote USer-Communication areas involving auto-launch and layman type auto how-to

Add automatic 1st launch and very obvious large Layman's how-to guide w/ screenshots - Adoption issues are due to change & use uncertainty. As a Sys Eng by trade and Guest Speaker in large industry across US, there are two major problem areas. 1) Windows users a large percentage still do not know what OneNote is. 2) Same user group does not know how to use and needs hand held style a,b,c-1,2,3 screenshot (animated) simple instruction on launch and seems like a 3"x3" How to use button at the top toolbar. For me OneNote is a priceless resource but for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow us to disable/enable the drawing function

Accidental touchscreen bumps and shaking fingers cause many little dots and lines to get scattered around my notes. Drawing is important but sometimes just text is required.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a chat to talk to students

There should be a chat box to to talk to other students if you dont have another way to talk/ communicate

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bring back all 9 pen widths please!

So far I am really enjoying the update to 17.8366.57581.0, and the new customizable pen feature is great. However, I draw a lot of diagrams when taking notes for lectures, and I find myself using all nine pen widths very often. Also, the five sizes that remain don't really suit my handwriting either.

I use this app every day, thank you for all the hard work :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Show "all" (perhaps sorted) instead of show "rest" of sections

Consider showing all sections (perhaps with an option to show and remember sort order) when clicking the "Show the rest of the sections" drop down [... arrow down] icon.

As is now (OneNote 2016), the show rest of sections does exactly what is says. The confusion that occurs is as operator floats more frequently used sections in the visible tab region a state of confusion occurs when visibly searching for sections by clicking the show rest of sections button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. initial

When adding comments to a shared OneNote initials of the user are around the incorrect way. iPad version 9.3.5 they are around the correct way. On my iPhone version 10.3.3 the wrong way round. On my laptop they are around the wrong way. I have tried changing it in options but to no avail. Can this problem be solved?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. [BUG] Onenote Side to Side scrolling bug on Mobile apps if note was created on UWP

Whenever I create a new note using Onenote UWP, the same note on Android/IOS app will always move side to side while scrolling down the note which greatly affects readability.

However, if I create a new note on the Android or IOS app, the note will have a fixed width position without any issues with side to side movement while scrolling down.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Create a note on UWP Onenote app with about 5 paragraphs

2. View the same note on Android and IOS app. The note page will constantly move side to side while scrolling down especially…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. highlighter

Highlighting on images
    Highlighters are not translucent and texts on images are covered by

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. saving into one note

when saving into one note the sections groups don't come up in the search so you have to go into one note and fine the section within the section group first then search for that section when saving. it would be very helpful to be able to search first the section group then choose the section to save when saving an item into the onenote.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base