OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Add line smoothing in handwriting on Surface 3 and Surface Pro

On iOS, many stylus focused writing apps such as "GoodNotes" feature some form of "trajectory smoothing" for handwriting strokes. This makes handwriting look more natural when using a passive or active stylus where usually the friction of the pen and screen combination is different from pen and regular paper. All this can make handwriting look vastly more natural.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Highlighter cursor nearly invisible

It's virtually impossible to visually find the highlighter cursor if you're using a light color (like yellow) until you actually start to highlight. This is a huge problem when reading/highlighting long text documents (for example, imported from PDF). One either has to spend ten seconds moving the mouse around to try and see where it is, or make a highlight mark and then erase it.

Could we please have a more visible cursor, instead of a just a super-thin line of highlight?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [bonding of objects] Bindung von Objekten

Die Zeichnungsmöglichkeiten in OneNote hinken weit hinterher. Es wäre überaus hilfreich, wenn man gezeichnete Objekte aneinander "binden" könnte. Also z. B. die Pfeilspitzen an Kästchen.

Momentan muss man einen Prozess perfekt im Kopf haben, um sich nicht endlos viel Arbeit machen zu müssen. Will ich einen Prozess erweitern und zwei Kästchen verschieben, dann muss ich auch die Pfeile verschieben. Das kostet in einer Online-Besprechung echt viel Zeit.

Schön wäre es also, wenn sich besonders Pfeilenden (und Anfänge) mit Objekten verknüpfen lassen und sich dann mit verschieben, wenn ich ein Objekt verschiebe.

Lieben Gruß

Ingo

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Onenote on Surface Pro 3 Feedback

First I would like to congratulate Microsoft for Surface Pro 3. For me it's a perfect hybrid (although I would have liked the back of the chassis to be scratch resistant, wifi and battery to be more robust, the border of the frame to be as thin as possible so to be more street friendly and a few other things). The screen size is just perfect for for any task on the go and at home. The first windows device that I feel I can use to Ink.

Anyway, about Onenote (Modern UI). I've been using the iPad to take…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Keep existing links when pasting a printout

When you insert a printout of a file (usually pdf) or a web page you lose all the links from the source.

I know currently the printouts are handled as images, but it would be nice it they had some special format (at least when inside onenote) that preserved those links.

Then it would be possible to print and entire pdf document and use the links to navigate between pages, or when exporting an webpage the links would be still alive so you can expand your research.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 Button camera app option and better cameras in windows tablets for taking picture of the board or scanning

If you are a student in class and want to take a picture of the board very fast in either desktop or metro onenote, there should be a button to do that. And better cameras on windows tablets.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Timeline tagging when recording studio or video

When recording video or audio it would be great to have a timeline with tags that you AF to the timeline to mark specific parts of the recording. You could then use the tags to Juno to those specific parts of the recording.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Have a photo I take in OneNote automatically save to my camera roll using a Surface.

Right now if I take a photo in OneNote, it only saves as an image in OneNote.
    If I want to share these photos, I have to save them one-by-one to my camera roll.
    It would be so much easier if they just saved automatically in my camera roll AND in my note in OneNote.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Printable Page Layout

Windows journal has a very good page interface that would be nice to see available in OneNote. This feature/option to have a multiple "scroll-able" smart page layout like journal or word would be preferable in many instances. (i.e. doing homework which may have to be printed for submission).
    It's also nice to have access to those pages with out having to set up a separate page within the notebook. When I want to go and print either to printer or PDF, it would be nice if I didn't cross my imaginary margin and end up with half a word or…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Greater encryption

Allow users to encrypt notebooks at a higher level, like 256 bit or 512 bit

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow OneNote to act as a Form to replace InfoPath

Allow OneNote to act as form to collect data in a standardized way so users can add a new page with the form template to collect data in a standardized way. This form could then be linked to from the backend to store information into a database, SharePoint list, etc.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. allow note linked audio recording across a multiple page printout.

We are either stuck with a long page of images that is unprintable, or multiple page printouts with a crippled audio recording feature. Fix one or the other. Allow the linked recording feature to span multiple pages PLEASE.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Windows Phone: Sync, Create, Assign, Search Tags

a) I would like to have the ability to assing an existing (or create a new) Tag to a note in a page,
    b) Also that the list of possible Tags to use is syncronized with my desktop application. This means I can use the same tags on every device, or If I create a Tag in the Phone, it is also availbel for use in my pc or other device where the same notebook is being accessed.
    c) and also I would like to have the possibility to have a Tag search or summary section where I could display…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Insert specific pages of a pdf

When I insert a pdf file I want to have the choice which pages are inserted.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add "Shut off Pinch to Zoom" to Onenote 2013

The Modern App for OneNote has a great feature - the ability to shut off "Pinch to Zoom." This makes it really easy to write onto a OneNote page without distorting the zoom. Can you please add this great feature to OneNote 2013, too? Thanks you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. False Advertising: Screen Clipper Doesn't even exist anymore

My idea - is to restore the capabilities of OneNote 2010 and 2013... LIKE THE SCREEN CLIPPER. There is all of this functionality on your webpage and NONE OF IT EXISTS ANYMORE!!!!!

Why don't you guys go back to the drawing board... use OneNote 2013 to take notes and screen clips... then come back to the community with something worth a crap...

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. New Notebook organization needed - Due to MS CRM and Office365 integration

With the integration of O365 and CRM embedding, linking and storing and rendering onenote we desperately need a new methods in OneNote (Web and Desktop) to Organize and display Notebooks.
    Case 1. In CRM Users create OneNote files for an Account and Associated Opportunity. This is stored in O365 as 2 .one files in 2 different folders. The terrible user experience is that now in OneNote I have 2 Notebooks appearing in Navigation. This does not scale because for each record I will have yet another notebook (even for the same customer,account,contact,opp, etc) The solution I suggest is that I…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. View dimensions of a page when using OneNote

Make a view in OneNote that makes the notebook page look like a piece of paper you write on. Currently, when I write handwritten notes its one long "paper" without a beginning or end to a sheet of "paper". When I print. it often cuts off half of a sentence when it prints from 1 page to another.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Optimize for students use with gestures

Please optimize OneNote for students use. I'm printing my PDF's of my lectures to OneNote on my Surface Pro 3.
    So I have all my lectures always in OneDrive and can edit them with my Surface pen wherever I'am.

But for a smarter user experience OneNote needs some new view options like Microsofts PDF Reader app. That shows you all pages if you pinch to zoom out. You could add for example a new gesture to open this view mode (for example swiping down with thre fingers).
    And there should be an option to switch to another page with an…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base