OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Add "Take a Picture from Camera" functionality on OneNote

OneNote is a wonderful way of taking notes, including personal Notes. It's almost like a journal.

I'd love it if I could take photos of myself or others directly from my camera or web cam while making a personal entry in my notes.

Thank you in advance!

646 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

168 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Inserting a Picture from Camera is already available. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use. You can find this in the Insert ribbon tab under the Pictures menu with the button labelled “From Camera”.

Please read the following article for more information :
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-a-picture-to-a-page-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-bbdebae3-eb58-4923-b627-e4db3dace5ab

2. Multilingual Typing > Set multiple Proofing Languages simultaneously

As many users, I use OneNote in my mother tongue and in English. I often—always!—use both langages simultaneously, within a same page. I would love OneNote to be able to consider multiple langages at the same time. I believe iOS did a similar move recently in iOS 10.

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the May 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

3. need a "not equal" operator in insert math equations.

need a "not equal" operator in insert math equations.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. No Longer Create Section Groups?

Can we no longer create NEW Section Groups within a notebook with the OneNote app in Windows 10? Why were so many of the useful features removed in this OneNote app. They are making the app unusuable for the advanced user. Is there a more advanced version I can pay for? If the more advanced features aren't added back, I will permanently switch to EverNote. I have already purchases their premium service.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available as of the July 2017 update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

5. Local vs Cloud Storage

Having OneDrive integrated with OneNote is definitely a plus, but it would be nice to also have it saved locally for when an Internet connection is unavailable.

1,416 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

221 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Hide Notebooks

It would be beneficial to have the option to "hide" some notebooks that are open so they don't appear in the Notebook column. I have MANY notebooks, and generally use most of them so they need to be open for searching. But the continuous scrolling so I can find the notebook and move through its hierarchy can be a little frustrating. I'd just like to see a small feature of "hiding" the notebook but still allowing its contents to be open & searchable.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available long ago and you should be able to close any notebooks, therefore hiding them from the notebook list.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

7. Display sections/tabs on a second or third row when the first row is full.

Currently if the screen width is not sufficient to display all tabs or groups of tabs, it hides them under a dropdown menu. The result is that you lose overview of which (groups of) tabs there are. This is contrary to one of the main goals of OneNote, which is presenting a lot of information in a structured, easily accessible way. So it would be better to have all tabs/sections visible and use extra rows to display the tabs, just as is the case in many windows dialogs.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feedback is no longer applicable to OneNote for Windows 10 as of the July 2017 update since the design has changed a lot. The new design addresses this issue and many others.

For more details, please reference the following article:

8. Bring back the subscript shortcut!

The 'CTRL + =' no longer works for creating a subscript, only for zooming into the page. Makes zero sense for the new update to not have this feature.

I use this daily for doing my university notes, but is now far too time consuming to click the button on the top bar each time after a single number/letter. Probably won't be using OneNote until this is fixed

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that this shortcut is currently available in OneNote for Windows 10.

Both the superscript and subscript shortcuts should work well. You should be able to use Ctrl + Shift + = and Ctrl + = respectively.

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10!
    -The OneNote Team

9. Make it possible to remove automatic hyperlinks

When I type "www.seznam.cz" then OneNote automatically changes this text to hyperlink. This is OK if there is a possibility to change this link back to plaintext. Sadly the Remove hyperlink command is disabled in the context menu.
    Please fix this so we can switch hyperlink back to a plain text just like in any other text editor, thanks.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that managing hyperlink is now easier as of the September 2017 update to OneNote for Windows 10. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

10. Add the "add space" function to OneNote for windows 10

Possibly the most useful tool in OneNote is the ability to insert space in your notes, as seen here http://www.teachucomp.com/add-or-remove-note-space-in-onenote-2013/.
    It is the one feature that makes OneNote easier to use than pen and paper. This essential feature is not available in OneNote for Windows 10 (the version that comes with your Microsoft Surface Pro 3), and I don't understand why.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature is currently present in OneNote for Windows 10.

You can find it in the Draw Tab and it should be in the first set of buttons on the left. The button is called “Insert or Remove Extra Space”.

To use it, simply click that button, and then click and drag on the canvas where you want to add or remove space.

Thank you for your feedback in helping us make OneNote for Windows 10 better.
    -The OneNote Team

11. Bring back the copy text from picture option

Bring back the "copy text from picture" option

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. add section groups & subpages

In the new Windows 10 store app we should be able to create section groups and subpages.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the July 2017 update.

13. Adding equation by handwriting

It would be much easier to handwrite equation (at least for simple equations)

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that this feature is already available in OneNote for Windows 10 !

To use it simply write some equations, select your math ink using the select tool from the Draw tab in the ribbon. Finally, with your ink selected, click on the Math button; currently all the way on the right in the Draw tab of the ribbon; and voilà! We hope you enjoy this feature is much as we did working on it.

Stay tuned with our latest updates by referencing the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10!
    -The OneNote Team

14. open multiple notebooks at once, desktop version

be able to open multiple notebooks at once in onenote for desktop windows 10 without opening of several windows.
    if you fire up notebook for desktop and no notebooks are opened yet, I would like to select more than one notebook to open each time, and/or to open all notebooks.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that with the OneNote for Windows 10 this has been available for quite some time and you should be able to view more than one notebook by using the Open More Notebooks dialog and picking any existing notebooks you would like to add to your list.

15. "Night mode" - white text, black background

It would be great if it was possible to change the appearance of OneNote to have white or green text on a black background. I find this much easier to read on both desktop and mobile. The current selection of templates and page colours are too limiting and rarely, if ever, used by me.

1,356 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

209 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Edit embedded files in Windows 10

Seems like it's not possible to edit embedded files in OneNote with Windows 10 apps, perhaps because of security limitations? The apps aren't able to save to the cache location of the file, forcing user to save to a separate location and then re-inserting the file.

This does not appear to be a problem if using a Windows 10 desktop program to edit the embedded file.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature will be rolling out to all users on OneNote for Windows 10 over the next few weeks.

Don’t worry about saving the new changes as a separate file and re-attaching to your notebook – your changes are already synced and ready to be viewed in OneNote! Make sure AutoSave is on. Here is the link to a recent blog explaining how it works
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/OneNote-March-2019/ba-p/388879

17. Update the Windows Phone app

I consider Windows Phone as your own platform must have more updates and more work than others. We trusted your work for this OS not for Android.

We deserve a better app and also the possibility to obtain a beta app with some new functions as the described here.

Learn from Xbox Music guys.

306 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Interactice mathematics

I know this is a very special one, but I was wondering if there could some kind of interactive mathematics in OneNote. What I am thinking about is like this kind of functionalitynI have seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvagnKS2xuU

As a GeoGebra fellow and trainer I know this team has used GeoGebra (http://www.geogebra.org) to make this work. Another ressource the project group at Hagenberg used was http://pen.cs.brown.edu/research.html
    here are some other ressources:
    http://penomathic.nib.cc/

I know that there is a programm out there (https://www.fluidmath.net), which can do these kind of things, but imagine the Power of GeoGebra (open source)…

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Windows Phone: Password protected sections

Vote for this if you want to be able to create and use password protected sections in OneNote for Windows Phone, providing added security and privacy for your notes.

193 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Import notes from Evernote

Vote for this if you want a tool for importing existing notes from Evernote to OneNote.

365 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We heard your feedback and we have some great news to share with you. Today, we are launching a new tool to migrate your Evernote notes to OneNote. The OneNote Importer (Preview) automatically migrates all your notes from Evernote and quickly gets you started with OneNote. Use the OneNote Importer to seamlessly make the switch from Evernote to OneNote. Follow the announcement at this blog: https://blogs.office.com/2016/03/11/make-the-move-from-evernote-to-onenote-today/

For support issues, please got to answers.microsoft.com.

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base