OneNote for Windows

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.
We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. OneNote pdf as printout everytime

After one of the latest Office update my pdf documents is no longer inserted as printout in OneNote but instead as pdf icons.

Is it possible to change it so that all pdf files is inserted as printouts?

I use Rocketbook and everytime I upload something I have to right click to see the pdf file.

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Microsoft Editor to OneNote

Microsoft Editor is now embedded in Word and Outlook, but can't be used in the OneNote apps. It's greatly needed .

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Notebook Button (Options - Personal, Class, Staff Notebook)

It would be helpful if when you click the +Add Notebook button if it then asked you what type of notebook you wanted to create. Allowing 3 options of personal, class and staff would be super helpful to make sure you don't accidentally create a personal notebook when you intended to do a class notebook. In an education environment we see this pop up.

Also, allow a notebook to be converted from a personal notebook into a class or staff notebook would be a nice workaround.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy section group to another Notebook

Today, you can MOVE a section group to another notebook, but you cannot COPY it.

User Scenario: We are transitioning a product to another team and our documentation is stored in a OneNote Notebook Section. We are copying our documentation to the new team's notebook and then making updates. To avoid issues during the product transfer, we want to retain a copy of the section group in our current notebook until the transition is complete.

Note that a similar suggestion called "section group" was marked as complete, but the link to the support site in the user voice idea only…

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Insert option to merge table cells in the onenote.

Insert option to merge table cells in the onenote.

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Locking Student Pages-Set Time to Lock

It would be helpful if you could set a page (distributed to students) to automatically lock at a certain time. When you go through Review Student Work and navigate to a page, I would love to see an option "Page Lock Settings". This would help streamline some work for teachers and allow them to set things up ahead of time rather than in real time.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Rework of the Drawing/Shape System to Improve STEM Students' Productivity (in depth)

I am an aerospace engineering major (w/ astrophysics minor) and I have to say, I spend WAY too much time trying to correct my drawings due to OneNote's limited capability (either version). These suggestions are mostly geared towards handwritten notes and are in-depth, but I feel would be greatly beneficial.

Some of these suggestions are complicated and likely deserve their own paid package of OneNote; however, I’m sure universities would certainly pay for that version of office.

In the courses, I’m taking I frequently have to draw shapes, but often get hung up on being a perfectionist when it comes…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Heading Outline navigation

Add a navigation mechanism like the "Headings" tab in the "Navigation" pane of Microsoft Word.

OneNote supports the concept of Headings and outlining as described in
    "Create an outline to structure notes"
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-an-outline-to-structure-notes-56373f1e-f55e-4356-8e87-32e650e5d832

and keyboard shortcuts to work with the concept exist as described in
    "Keyboard Shortcuts for OneNote", "Use outlines"
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/keyboard-shortcuts-in-onenote-44b8b3f4-c274-4bcc-a089-e80fdcc87950#bkmkoutlinewin

Unfortunately none of this existing support in OneNote makes headings as easy, flexible, or powerful as the Word implementation. Large pages become intractable when you have to search or scroll across numerous screens of information.

Generating a page table of contents with OneTastic with the "TOC…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Option to Disable Auto-Formatting

Allow users to disable auto-formatting in OneNote. I want to be able to paste a URL without it being a hot link. I want to set a default font and font-size and want it to actually be used by OneNote. Currently you can set the font and size in settings, but it still changes the fonts and size sometimes on its own. Auto-Formatting was a huge issue in PowerPoint, until MS finally added a checkbox to deactivate Auto-Formatting. Please add the same feature to OneNote. Shouldn't be too difficult.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Free navigation within the notes - horizontal scroll missed/issue

Hello,
    I am a big user and a fan of this beautifull tool OneNote.

I use one Note on a mobile and on a Desktop.
    I have a lot of notes and someone very large..

For most time i use a Desktop version on windows 10 for arrange, rework and study my notes.

I have so many notes that have a horizontal layout, developed horizontally, this means that it isn't viewable in a one page(monitor) but requires you to zoom-out or horizontal scroll to see it.

For example i have many image in my notes and some graph.

If I…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. recent edits

Add the ability to look at recent edits in the OneNote for Windows 10 app like you can do in OneNote 2016 (You can use OneNote 2016 and follow the instructions in the link below:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/see-a-list-of-recent-changes-in-a-notebook-in-onenote-for-windows-55dc5183-9112-4c7e-a9cf-44cd66c19c77)

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Paper styles

please add more options for paper styles like dotted paper for clear note-taking in math as well as isometric paper for the many engineering students who use OneNote. Also, borders to show where the print guidelines are would be nice

95 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OneNote needs Screen Recording and System Audio Recording options for recording Zoom-like meetings

(not just camera and mic recording)

The current recording options are useless for online classes and meetings

(OneNote only allows you to record using a physical camera and a physical mic which do not record anything in an online class without setting up a camera and mic that actually face the front of your computer screen)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. layout

I really hate this new layout for Windows 10. It takes up WAY too much space on my screen in order to see all the files. It was MUCH better when I could see the notebooks and folders all listed in a single row down the left hand column, with the tabs at the top. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to eat up more screen space to do the same thing? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide the option to go to the old view.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Crop in OneNote

I would like to be able to easily crop or format my images within the OneNote app instead of having to do it in PowerPoint and then copy/pasting into OneNote.

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Give us the previous navigation layout back in OneNote for Windows 10

I HATE the layout of the new navigation manu in the latest update of OneNote app for Windows 10, in this model, you can't customize the menu position, etc while you could in the previous versions. I don't understand why you think you need to change what's good while you do not touch what's bad! Please give us the previous navigation layout. It had no problem.

764 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Mouse Middle Button Scroll

It should be possible to activate free-scrolling once you click the middle button on your mouse, as it does with most apps on Windows.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. find and replace

Poor decisions going on at MS. You get all of these request for one of the simplest and MOST USED functionalities of a word editor and you still do nothing. Will someone in charge please explain why you can't add this simple feature? People have been asking for it for years. If you send me the source code, I'll add it for you.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to change heading styles in OneNote

It's very frustrating to be allowed to change the default font, but not the heading styles. At the very least I expect the heading styles to inherit the default font, even if I can't change the size or color...

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base