OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Win: Integrate tasks and tags across OneNote, Outlook (desktop/web/app), Windows 10 mail/cal, and Microdoft To-Do app.

Integrate tasks and tags across OneNote, Outlook (desktop/web/app), Windows 10 mail/cal, and Microdoft To-Do app.

594 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back Create Outlook Tasks!!!

Bring back Create Outlook Tasks!!!

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. default font color

Be able to change the default font color

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. OneNote Outlook Tasks Integration

1. I'd like existing OneNote 2016 & 2010 feature "Insert Outlook Task" be included in OneNote for Windows 10
    2. I'd like OneNote Linked tasks be available at my Android mobile device.

420 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please create backup in windows 10 version.

We are using one note to record important phone conversations.

We are currently manually making a copy of the file to prevent against a staff member deleting the entire notebook.

It would good to have protections against this by creating a backup automatically so we didnt have to do it manually.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. find and replace

Please add a "find and replace" function in One Note (similar in Word or Excel), so we can update the "text " and the "underlying link" (containing the text) across One Note without manually changing each text/link one by one (which is so in convenient and so last century). Please take this enhancement as priority.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Insert Excel Spreadsheet

We use the Insert Spreadsheet function that allows us to view and edit the spreadsheet in OneNote 2016 but cannot find the same function in OneNote for Windows

121 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I don't like how the Win10 ver has moved the tabs, sections, and sheets to the left side. Please keep them at the top as in the 2016 ver.

I don't like how the Win 10 version of One Note has changed the user interface, or view, where the tabs that used to be at the top have moved to the far left side of the screen and cascade out from that side. Not only do you lose a lot of screen space, but it is not as streamlined, efficient or functional for users. Please ensure that if the One Note 2016 version is ever phased out, that any new version, including the Win 10 version, will have the ability to switch the user interface, or view, to the…

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. page templates

Please add the OneNote 2016 Page Template management features to the OneNote 10 version. The ability to select and customize templates is a handy feature.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Adding mathematical formulas in dark mode

As of now in OneNote, it's hard to add formulas in dark mode because the white text is highlighted white when entering formulas and hence you can't see what you're typing unless you switch to light mode and then enter the formula and then switch back.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Continue to support and develop OneNote 2016

Just about all the features of the 2016 desktop OneNote application that made it really useful; like History, Tags, (search facility and customisation), Quick Notes, Linked notes etc. have gone or have had the good parts removed. In fact, all the grown-up elements appear to have been ditched and instead we have stickers of "cats in suits". Most of the high ranking votes on this UserVoice are for the things people actually found useful in OneNote to being with. OneNote for Windows looks likes the result of a botched task on The Apprentice - get a grip!

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Review Student Work in Sections WITHIN SECTION GROUPS

While I can distribute section groups now, I still can't review pages that are in sections within section groups in student spaces. This nullifies the point of being able to distribute section groups to student spaces.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Sort Pages

Add ability to sort Pages

163 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Here are some of the results of the survey –
    • Sorting is needed for pages, sections, and notebooks
    • Sorting should persist while navigating, after close of notebook, across all devices, and be seen by people they share the notebook with
    • Current OneNote users want the following sorts – alphabetical, date created, and date modified
    • We heard from a lot of users who wanted to set section lists and page lists in a sort that they wouldn’t change often, but there was also a set of users who mentioned that they would want to live in a certain sort order, but switch to another sort order as an aid to locate specific items within their list

Thank you again for your responses. This information helps us understand the experience we need to build to match your needs.

14. Excel

Excel is nicely integrated in OneNote 2016. However, in the Windows 10 version of OneNote the Excel integration is gone. Will Excel be added to the Windows 10 version of OneNote? If not, we will be using OneNote 2016 until it is.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to work offline is essential, OneNote is my main work tool

I use OneNote all the time and sync between OnedRIVE, two laptops and a desktop. I travel extensively and am frequently without Internet connection so the ability to work on a local copy until I can resynch is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL.

BTW - I never use the web version, too slow and clunky.

I have all my PhD work in OneNote so if I cannot work locally I will have to switch to the leading alternative which actually seems more popular in academic circles.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Reinstate Ctrl+Alt+D shortcut for the new version of OneNote

On the old version of Onenote there is a shortcut Ctrl+Alt+D that will dock the application. It will be best if the same shortcut would also be available in the new version of Onenote.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. All-on-the-left layout is inefficient

All-on-the-left layout is inefficient - esp. when you have multiple sections and pages that you are jumping back and forth. All-on-the-left layout, compared to the 2016 layout, simply takes too much space if they are all being displayed. Having "Sections" on top helps a lot.
    This is the most important reason I switch to OneNote 2016 from the OneNote app. Sad to see 2016 is being dumped.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cloud Attachment from file already in the Cloud / without uploading again somewhere else

I would like the possibility to embed a file located in the Cloud example in my OneDrive or a Teams SharePoint into OneNote.
    If users don't have access to this file then the preview shall notify this.

currently you can only attach a file and upload to your OneDrive

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow endnotes

For citations, like in Word

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Introduce mindmapping/flowcharts into OneNote

Introduce mindmapping into OneNote, including:
    - integration with finger/pencil to create node shapes (circles, squares, triangles etc) around text
    - integration with finger/pencil to create freehand connections between the shapes (line/arrow connecting automatically two shapes)
    - Ability to show NoteBooks, Sections and Pages as Mindmaps
    - Text extraction to mindmap (See separate suggestion for MarginNote/LiquidText like functionality)

125 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base