OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. I don't like how the Win10 ver has moved the tabs, sections, and sheets to the left side. Please keep them at the top as in the 2016 ver.

I don't like how the Win 10 version of One Note has changed the user interface, or view, where the tabs that used to be at the top have moved to the far left side of the screen and cascade out from that side. Not only do you lose a lot of screen space, but it is not as streamlined, efficient or functional for users. Please ensure that if the One Note 2016 version is ever phased out, that any new version, including the Win 10 version, will have the ability to switch the user interface, or view, to the…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Sort Pages

Add ability to sort Pages

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Here are some of the results of the survey –
    • Sorting is needed for pages, sections, and notebooks
    • Sorting should persist while navigating, after close of notebook, across all devices, and be seen by people they share the notebook with
    • Current OneNote users want the following sorts – alphabetical, date created, and date modified
    • We heard from a lot of users who wanted to set section lists and page lists in a sort that they wouldn’t change often, but there was also a set of users who mentioned that they would want to live in a certain sort order, but switch to another sort order as an aid to locate specific items within their list

Thank you again for your responses. This information helps us understand the experience we need to build to match your needs.

3. Excel

Excel is nicely integrated in OneNote 2016. However, in the Windows 10 version of OneNote the Excel integration is gone. Will Excel be added to the Windows 10 version of OneNote? If not, we will be using OneNote 2016 until it is.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Paragraph/Line Spacing

Add Paragraph/Line Spacing

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. default font color

Be able to change the default font color

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Continue to support and develop OneNote 2016

Just about all the features of the 2016 desktop OneNote application that made it really useful; like History, Tags, (search facility and customisation), Quick Notes, Linked notes etc. have gone or have had the good parts removed. In fact, all the grown-up elements appear to have been ditched and instead we have stickers of "cats in suits". Most of the high ranking votes on this UserVoice are for the things people actually found useful in OneNote to being with. OneNote for Windows looks likes the result of a botched task on The Apprentice - get a grip!

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Incorporate To-Do

I want to be able to create lists and arrange them and prioritize the actions with a drag and drop capability. It would be nice to see if Microsoft could incorporate it's To-Do app into OneNote or build a similar functionality natively into OneNote. Priorities change constantly and giving the user the ability to arrange items on a list with drag and drop rather than cut and paste would be so much more helpful.

335 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Introduce mindmapping/flowcharts into OneNote

Introduce mindmapping into OneNote, including:
    - integration with finger/pencil to create node shapes (circles, squares, triangles etc) around text
    - integration with finger/pencil to create freehand connections between the shapes (line/arrow connecting automatically two shapes)
    - Ability to show NoteBooks, Sections and Pages as Mindmaps
    - Text extraction to mindmap (See separate suggestion for MarginNote/LiquidText like functionality)

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Must have ability to merge and split cells!

The most popular post that mentioned this was in 2014 and it still is not fixed, so I thought it was worth suggesting again. This seems to be a very basic functionality of a table on any computer program.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. find and replace

You can't possibly be serious??? How can you not have a replace text function in OneNote??? This is crazy!!!

Please add this function ASAP

398 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 344 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

115 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Record Video Like You Can in OneNote 2016!!

I would like the video recording feature to be returned! I need to be able to continue recording videos into my OneNote. Not linking---recording directly from OneNote.

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. page templates

Please add the OneNote 2016 Page Template management features to the OneNote 10 version. The ability to select and customize templates is a handy feature.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. find and replace

Please add a "find and replace" function in One Note (similar in Word or Excel), so we can update the "text " and the "underlying link" (containing the text) across One Note without manually changing each text/link one by one (which is so in convenient and so last century). Please take this enhancement as priority.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Code block

I'd really like to ability to insert a code block. Just a simple block that has a different background than the surrounding text.

If this were paired with source code formatting, and editing, that would be an amazing enhancement to OneNote.

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Windows 8 OneNote 2016 Excel spreadsheet function to Windows 10 OneNote

Windows 8 and OneNote 2016 have some good features when working with Excel Spreadsheets. e.g. In OneNote 2016 there is a Microsoft Excel button that allows new or existing Excel spreadsheets to be opened and edited. Once opened there is an edit button in upper left corner of the spreadsheet. When clicked Excel opens and I can add data and edit the spreadsheet. Then when I quit Excel the new changes to the spreadsheet appear in the OneNote version of the spreadsheet. Very neat! I wish OneNote for Windows 10 had this feature.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. FIX THE BLURRY TEXT IN ONENOTE UPDATE

I had to download a new Microsoft Office and now my Onenote flicks back and forth between having clear text and having fuzzy, poorly rendered text. It is awful to look and and makes the app so difficult to use.This has been very frustrating and I cannot find a way to fix it.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Integrate Onenote with the SUBTASKS and with the NOTES of the tasks (not only with the tasks)

The perfect way to synchronize tasks such as Outlook or Microsoft To Do ones with Onenote it is as follows:

Notes of the tasks:
    • If the task is in the title of the onenote page, make the content of the page sync as the note of the task.
    • If the task is in any paragraph, make their indented paragraphs sync as the note of the task.

Subtasks:
    • If the task is in the title of the onenote page, make the tasks that are in the content of the page sync as the subtasks.
    • If the task…

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add option to "Lock password protected sections after I have not worked in them for the following amount of time".

OneNote 2016 has the advanced option "Lock password protected sections after I have not worked in them for the following amount of time". Such an option does not seem to exist in OneNote for Windows 10. The features of OneNote for Windows 10 have improved a lot over the past year or so, but having to reenter the password after only 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity is annoying and is the one thing keeping me from switching from OneNote 2016. Please add this feature to OneNote for Windows 10.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Line spacing

In OneNote 2016, there is a paragraph spacing option which is not available in the newer version of OneNote. Can we please have this integrated into the newer version of OneNote because as pick as it may sound, I like having my whole notes page with the same spacing all the way down. I can adjust the spacing in 2016 but not the newest version.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base