OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. break apart user voice for OneNote 2016 and OneNote for Windows/Windows Phone

These applications are very different and it makes it confusing to suggest features for the application when they are already in another version of the application under the same subcategory.

E.g. Recent notes in available on OneNote for Windows, but not on OneNote 2016. Multi-window support is available in OneNote 2016, but not in OneNote for Windows.

P.S. Please add both those features to the respective applications.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow me to open Notebooks created by the full version of OneNote

I have installed the FREE *Desktop* version of OneNote 2016 on my Win10 laptop. When I attempt to open a Notebook that was originally created on my old machine with a full version of Office 2013, I am unable to do so. I get a message that says "Using this notebook requires activating an eligible Office 365 subscription".

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A mode where you can lasso things and it will auto copy then you can drag it immediately

Hello everybody I am not sure if this is a new idea but I do know it isn't a new problem.

As a user of surface for a little over 1.5 years I realized the biggest slow down in my productivity is taking time to copy and paste my equations over and over.

I am not sure how many other people do this but I use a different color for every variable in my equations as well as symbols since it makes the notes stand out to me and I can picture them better.

The down side of this is…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. classnotebook add in for mac

Would love to see an Classnotebook add-on for mac.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. create new page

At this time, there no shortcut button to create a page after the current one. There is only a button to create a new page after the LAST page, or create a new page "under" (meaning lower level in the hierarchy) the current page. There is no button to create a page after the current page, that is on the same level.
    I keep having to go into the list of pages, right click on the current page and choose create new page.
    Please create a shortcut button to create a new page after the current one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add an "Interaction Mode"

Concept:
    Add button/mode to prevent touch from selecting images, text, etc. Allow toggling of ink on and off.

Reason:
    When reviewing notes, I often pan with my finger. This results in the touch keyboard coming up, selection of images, accidental moving of table borders, etc. You could improve your product by adding a mode which could prevent these accidental interactions from modifying the underlying document.

In addition, still allowing the use of digital pen would be useful. However, giving the use the option to toggle inking on/off would be good.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option To Turn Windows 10 OneNote Feature On/Off

After I upgraded to Windows 10 I started to use OneNote. Now that I have installed Office 365 Home I find I have two items in my Start Menu to launch the application: OneNote and OneNote 2016. Since we don't have the ability to remove it from the Start Menu, I would suggest giving people the option of having only one of the applications show in their Start Menu by making the Windows 10 OneNote feature one of the features in Windows 10 that can be turned on or off much like it's done for things like Media Features, SNMP,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add dot background similar to Evernote

When adding handwritten notes in Evernote they have subtle but very nice dotted background. I wonder if something similar could be added to OneNote

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable import of Evernote to OneNote with O366 and more than 5000 files.

I've encountered the identical issue raised here. I want to export notes from Evernote to OneNote, and have more than 5000 files in my OneDrive.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_onenote-onenote_2013/onenote-importer-error-code-10008/ea914a0c-e88d-423d-92c2-20e70c988843

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Text Boxes with Relative Position (as opposed to Absolute Positions)

In HTML/CSS, it's common to add styling to an element (like 'div') to specify it's behavior in terms of position. Elements with Position:Absolute, will literally place these in a specified location. This seems similar to how Text Boxes are treated in OneNote -they always exist in the same place.

I'd like to be able to assign a OneNote Textbox with a Relative Position instead. In HTML/CSS, Elements with Position:Relative will scroll with the page. I like to have OneNote TextBoxes in a 1 Row, 2 Column fashion. My main column is on the left, and then I keep reference information…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Modulo arithmetic incorrect

The autofill feature after typing an equation seems bugged for some modulo arithmetic equations.

For example, after typing "3^64 mod 7 =" the answer it gave was 0, when it should actually be 4.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. After using onenote for a while, it always slide back to a certain page whether your hand is ouching or not

When I was reading some papers and drawing notes on Onenote, sometimes it just suddenly slide back to a page whether I touched the screen or not, and no matter what page I m reading, it always slide to that certain page with no reason, it really troubles me a lot

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support Encoding UTF-8 in Android Version

if onenote android app support for encoding utf-8, it will be very nice to display every character in all pages. thanks a lot

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. new page

My co-worker and I share a notebook at work that contains numerous pages, ie. phone listing, SOP's, procedures, shift tasks etc. Both of us are able to add pages or links, ..... However; sometimes our shifts are split. I may add 4 or 5 pages and he 4 or 5 pages and each of us may not know that the other pages were added.
    If you were able to to 'twinkle' or 'highlight' new pages, at the begining of each shift we could open the notebook and view the new pages. Once viewed, the 'twinkle' goes away. This would keep…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. option to use tabs without auto-creating a table

option to use tabs without auto-creating a table

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. After you click Email Page

In Windows OneNote Desktop, When you click email page, the cursor does not go into the “TO” field awtomatically. In fact, most of the time, it is nowhere, or still on the original page. I think you called that a “tab error”? It would be handy if it mimicked Outlook exactly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hotkey customization just like in Word

In Word, hotkeys for basically anything are customizable under Options->Customize ribbon. The very same menu appears in OneNote, however without the possibility to customize any hotkey. As taking notes must be fast most of the time, I'd really like to have the same functionality in OneNote. This wouldn't be too much effort to do this, I guess, since it's the very same menu.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. paste screen clippings side by side or place anywhere

Maybe I just don't understand how to use OneNote properly, but it would be so nice to be able to paste things side by side. For some reason, I can't ever place screen clippings or photos where I want them. When I try to drag them, they don't really drag. They always end up stacking vertically and taking up a lot of space. I'd like to be able to put them where ever I want, especially side by side. Then the notebook is shorter and takes up less scroll space. This also gives more artistic freedom - it can be…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow change in title when you forward to onenote from other applications like Outlook

It would be great if, when you forward an e-mail from Outlook to OneNote, in the window where you select what page/section the e-mail goes to, you could also edit the name of the e-mail you are forwarding. That way, instead of having a bunch of sections with non-descriptive titles like email subject headings ("RE: tomorrow's meeting"), it would be simple to change the title to reflect the underlying reason you forwarded the file (to reflect an attachment in the e-mail that you wanted to be able to reference, for example), so it's easier to scan the list of sections.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add the capability of "Quick

Add the capability of "quick parts" as is in all other Office apllications

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)