OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Allow rotation in OneNote iPhone App

currently the OneNote iPhone App does not allow the rotation of the screen when taking notes or recording voice.
    Problem: on most mobile devices the microphone is on the bottom of the device.
    being able to rotate the app I could use the microphone on top for a much better recording quality

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. When using ink to text all resulting text should be in the same grouping.

If I write a half pages of notes with my Surface Pen, and then select it all and do an ink to text, Onenote seems to have a mind of its own on what should be grouped together. Rather than try to guess, can't Onenote assume that if the text is selected together, it should be grouped together?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. suface pro 4 Click the button on the Surface Pen to open OneNote and take a note, even when your device is locked

Update Onenote 2016 to allow Click the button on the Surface Pen to open OneNote and take a note, even when your device is locked,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Linked text for study and business with in different pages

In Microsoft we click a word - it go to another word in the file. Similarly in Microsoft we can insert link of a particular page but not a particular word in a particular page. It can be achieved by viewing onenote 2 on a single screen. Then we can link easily. This feature very important for education. To explain particular word or definition we can use.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make it possible to link notes from different pages on iPad version

Even if pages are in a different section or a different book

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Variable number fields

The title might sound a bit complicated. The idea is that you would be able to have a field where you can put in a number, and then some other fields that can output some math depending on that number.

A use example could be using OneNote as a cookbook, then at the top of a recipe you could input the amount you're cooking for, then down lower at the ingedients you can see the correct amount.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Better support for browser bookmarks

I'm sure many people are, like myself, looking for a way to leverage OneNote to manage browser bookmarks.

Would love to see a "native bookmark" management capability within OneNote for Windows.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Show the syncing icon for pages and sections as well as notebooks

The syncing icon that is shown next to the name of a notebook (http://i.imgur.com/229IH7I.png) could also be placed next to sections and pages so that the user can see exactly what is causing a syncing problem.

One of my notebooks is stuck syncing, and it has been like that for a long time. It's a large notebook, and i don't know what page (which then tells me what files) are causing the problem.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable working when no online connection is available

This is for Windows Phone (I worked on [and it applies to] 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10): OneNote is great for taking any kind of notes. Also I have several lookup tables in OneNote. However, it will not start without checking the network first. That may take a considerable time - more the poorer the connection. I know when I am in the basement there is no chance to take notes or lookup existing notes.

I would be great if I could take notes without the lag for network checking. Instantly would be perfect. The synching could happen later.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Attach/embed pictures in this suggestion box

I want to attach or embed screenshots to show what I'm talking about when I post an idea here.

This is not related to the OneNote application, it's related to the suggestion box website.

I didn't know the appropriate way to suggest this as there isn't an area for suggesting improvements to the suggestion box :P

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Unify GUI between OS platforms, particularly sections

I've been using OneNote on Win10 (Universal App version, not talking about 2016 one), on iOS, on Mac OS X and online, each version shows Sections somewhere else, once it's on top, on left, on right, it's kind of confusing for the user, this should be unified.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bring back insert fax.

I used it to insert statements and bills into accounts and a house log. It is far less cumbersome than your suggested alternative

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Custom Sync Schedule

It would be great if I could pick the sync schedule by folder. Some files I work with get updated constantly throughout the day and as-is onenote is constantly trying to sync them - it is a bandwidth and resource hog. I would prefer if I could set it to sync those files/folders only once at the end of the day.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Manage Pages or Page Sorter View

On View, there should be a way to view your notes and notebooks similar to how slide sorter on power point works.

Your notebooks would be on a shelf/row in the top, and the open notebook/sections would be a tab or sub-window. You can drag thumbnails of your notes to change its position in the section, or you can drag it to another section/notebook.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Better support for drag / pinch zoom when connected to additional monitor

I would like to be able to create more white space and drag a page around while connected to 2 monitors. When a Surface / Surfacebook has the desktop extended to another monitor, I can drag or pinch zoom the page. https://youtu.be/8102eAflABo

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Mac cannot save large onenote files in a full page by simply going to file print you must go to Office 365 then print it as a pdf

In my Chemistry class we us lab reports on OneNote using tables which can be seen clearly and as a whole in the program however go and try and print or save the page as a PDF then the table gets cut in half. The only way to fix it is by going into office 365 and printing it through there. If it can be done on office 365 then it should be able to be done on the Mac OneNote application

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Mathematics add-in

The mathematics add-in is a great concept but it has some bugs and unnecessary limitations. It would be much more useful if it fully matched the functionality of the stand-alone Microsoft Mathematics app, including: stored variable values, any letter or symbol can be a variable, and expressions always evaluate as a decimal value. It would be even better if it could handle units automatically as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Send Reading View of a Web Page to OneNote

Edge (and other browsers) contain a reading view. Send the reading view, without the left and top navigation and adverts that typically clutter a page, to a OneNote page.

I do this currently using the "Evernote Clearly" plugin for Chrome and Evernote. Would be great to have this in OneNote too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base