OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow us to draw boundary wrap for areas on the page (handwritten, text, pictures, etc.) that force word wrapping or push content down

Allow the content boxes to be added automatically or manually to handwritten, text, or other content. Then when content that is added near it, any new content will word wrap or push content down the page (all content) like a horizontal spacer

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add option "Automatically use suggestions from the spelling checker"

I'm lost, why option "Automatically use suggestions from the spelling checker" is available in Word and Outlook, but not in OneNote 2013? Most folks use OneNote for extensive comments. It doesn't make sense to strip this key autocorrect functionality from OneNote.

Since this feature is delivered via shared Proofing Tools, can someone suggest, how to enable it in Registry for OneNote?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Provide an option for flagging or modifying font of pages in the Navigation Pane.

In notebooks with many pages it is very difficult to quickly locate a page that you are interested in. Instead of requiring a key word search, it would be great if the page name in the Navigation Pane could be flagged or if the font could be modified (bold, italics, highlighted) for quick reference.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make it more stable!!!

I'm a heavy user of OneNote especially when I'm sitting in a lecture.
    And it happens very, very often that OneNote crushes or hangs anywwhere. Or sometimes I can see in the task-Manager that it frees all of its RAM-Memory and afterwards it reloads it completely which results in heavy battery drain at my Surface Pro 3. PLEASE IMMEDIATELY FIX IT.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fix undo so that it does not also search for the text in the search box at the same time.

Fix undo so that it does not also search for the text in the search box at the same time..

The programs should not both undo and jump to the search term.

If you undo when there is text in the search box you end up not being able to see what you undid and you end up at a place in the document where the search term is found.

You then have to scroll through the document to return to where the undo was accomplished. If you don't remember where you were in the doc you not only waste…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. would like to know in outlook if an email has been sent to onenote. Currently an email can be sent many times by mistake.

Would like to know in outlook when an email has been sent to one note. Currently an email can be sent many times by mistake.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. portable

What about a portable version of OneNote. That would be a great enhancement for a great piece of software!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. New Stylus for OneNote Users for SurfacePro2 and iPad, Please

New Stylus for OneNote Users that has the best tip for writing on any tablet, can click to open OneNote on a SurfacePro2 and also has a Bluetooth SSD Storage. I would pay 100.00 , if I could click to open OneNote on Surface Pro 2 and had good amount of SSD Storage. But make it work for all Tablet Devices as many have more than one tablet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. [Would like doubleclick on image] Würde gerne mit doppelklick auf Bild

dieses in der registrierten Bildbearbeitung öffnen, oder über rechte Maustaste Vollbild Anzeigen/Drucken

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to undo jn the windows phone app

Ability to undo the last deleted item

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Connected Standby Syncing on Surface Pro 3

I feel that no matter when I open up the Windows Store OneNote app on my Surface Pro 3 that my notebooks should be up to date without me having to wait for them to sync. This is most important if I'm somewhere without wifi such as a plane.

At the moment I have to remember to open up the app while on the network to ensure my notebooks are all updated before I get on my flight.

Ideally syncing should happen at regular intervals while the tablet is on or in connected standby. Probably good to be able to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Insert horizontal or rectangle breaks for protecting content shifting

I think it is necessary to have the ability to draw in a horizontal, vertical, or lasso break for content on a page. These breaks would maintain content within the break (drawings, overlap, etc), but outside of the breaks content would uniformly move down to give room to content being added within an adjacent break area. Basically it preserves distance between the edges of content, so that we do not have to reselect a bunch of handwriting move it a bit, then add text, then find out we need to move it some more.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add ability to zoom out (whole page view) in mobile clients

There seems to be an arbitrary limit to zooming out ouf pages in the mobile clients. When dealing with large pages with lots of content it would be helpful to further zoom out to get an overview of the whole page. It should at least be possible to zoom out to the full width of a page.

Currently, especially on pages with drawings/hand written notes it is often impossible to get a complete overview of the drawing. Lots of scrolling necessary which is very annoying.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Move the book navigation to left

In general I like the tree navigation found in tools such as Scrivener. They are better suitable for thinking and outlining. The tab navigation does not really add value and the navigation on the right confuses user experience. I think there is tremendous value in following some of the features available in Scrivener.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. To be able to upload SMS text message threads to One Note. Now that would be awesome

I often would like to incorporate some SMS text messages into One Note. So far, I have not been able to do this from my much beloved Nokia 928 running Windows. If this could happen--oh my--than I could see the texts on my Surface Pro and.....my Ipod.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. automatic date / title entry option when starting up a new note off of the surface pro 3

Ability to tell one note to automatically insert a date into the new note, and then when turning one note off (stopping taking the current note - powering off, changing out of one note etc) a prompt to ask you if you want to keep the note / what you want to do with it - ie - mail to, store in specific notebook, delete, etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Release an upgraded version with more formatting options

I adore OneNote. It's my favourite Office product. But obviously, being a free application, it lacks some of the useful formatting options that Word has. I'd like to see more Word features in a paid for OneNote version. Shape options and the like.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support onenote: links on Windows Phone for jumping fast from page to page like desktop

I really love the link-feature in onenote, makes life much faster - but I still can't open them on my Windows Phone, just http: links.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. The application is excellent, but I think it should also put an option to put comments to a word or a paragraph.

La aplicación es excelente, pero creo que tambien deverian de poner una opcion para poner comentarios a una palabra o en un parrafo .

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When using File Printout or inserting a PDF or Screen Clipping I need the hyperlinks to be active.

Links to supporting documents, videos, and webpages that are within a planning document are not active when I load the planning doc to my onenote. I have many of these to organize and publish for my district.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base