OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. latency in inking in onenote app and onenote desktop

I am using SP4 4gb 128

I love the desktop onenote that it contains more functions.

But what makes I decided to change back to the app version is the latency in inking.

While the latency of inking in desktop version is acceptable, the inking in onenote app is significantly lower than that in the desktop version.

not only the inking latency, the zoom in/zoom out by touch is also much smoother in onenote app.

Is there any setting to lower the latency in desktop version as much as it can? or it is just cannot solve because of the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Office reset button missing

In Windows Phone 10 it is not possible to reset office settings (office apps are independend) . And you cannot uninstall OneNote either. Dead end problem when OneNote takes out all of your free space and you cannot free it (and there are some sync issues). Please give option to reset default onenote settings or option to removal

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please add configurable settings for syncing to avoid large data charges/hangups

Please let me know if i'm missing a setting or some way to achieve this already in existence...

I use OneNote on WP8.1 for work. It is a really good platform for performing site inspections and audits where i take a great volume of hi res photos and write descriptions and observations for each.

We can work as a team, all do our various bits and sync up to a master document on OneDrive and then open the whole thing as a single word.doc for final formatting, thus saving a great deal of time!
    However. these files are large (hundreds…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. BUG: Jumping ink when page is viewed in multiple windows

As per title. This has always been an issue in OneNote for as long as I have been using it (it is not new to ON2016, and has occurred on a number of devices).

Viewing the same page in multiple windows while inking on one instance can result in major instability. Ink gets moved to various points in the document, and generally stacks on top of each other. No option to undo. Stacked ink is completely incomprehensible and impossible to 'untangle'.

I thought I would give it a try again with ON2016, no luck. Totally ruined a document and there…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. add "Send to One Note" tool

It looks like One Note 2016 doesn't let you send the entire Powerpoint to One Note. You have to take a screen clipping. This is inconvenient and frustrating.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. windows explorer thumbnail generation!

how am i suppose to tell what is on page quickly?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. User voice forum question - how to get emails on selected topics instead of all topics

In the settings for the User Voice forum there is an option to "Receive live status changes, admin responses" but it seems to apply to any and all ideas that a user is following. There is one thread for which I would like to keep receiving emails and another thread that I do not want to receive emails for any more. Can the user be given a choice as to which one he/she receives emails on instead of it being "all or none"?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bring the Universal App Stylus support capabilities up to speed with that of the native Office apps

I use a wacom stylus with the Desktop app A LOT (Wacom Intuos with OneNote 2013 and OneNote 2016) - and it's mostly a great experience.
    The Universal App for Windows 10 however is severely lacking in that department. Using the pen buttons doesn't fully work like it does in Desktop (for example, you can't lasso to select ink), the app doesn't automatically switch to pen mode when it detects a pen beings used, and the cursor doesn't represent the pen's selected color, width or strength (all features that exist in the 'native' desktop versions). Older versions of the "metro"…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Create an option to have immovable slides that you have printed or imported to One Note

Make an option for the slides to be immovable. As veterinary students, my classmates and I have to take notes quickly and the slides will move around on accident. It is really frustrating because you have to stop what you're doing and cut the slide, paste it, and hit the 'send to back' option to fix it. It is pretty time consuming.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. edge to onenote

Please make it easier to tell which notebook a web page will be going to. I've got a lot of notebooks and can never tell where a web page has gone. There seems to be an option to prompt for a notebook, but I can't seem to make that work either. I am very hopeful about the possibilities, but can't seem to just get to the right notebook to start with.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Checklist create and rearrangement

What I miss the most from the iPhone app on my Windows Phone is the list view[1].

I would like being able to easily create and edit an to-do list using OneNote for Windows Phone. Select multiple items, hide completed items, rearrange items, etc.

[1] https://blogs.office.com/2015/06/18/lists-equations-paper-styles-and-sign-up-updates-in-onenote-for-iphoneipad/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow insertion of URLs as a Printout.

I love the printout concept in onenote and it works well but would like to be able to paste a URL string as a printout and have OneNote render it as a "PDF" or some rich format so I have the option of using OneNote as an Instapaper replacement

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Replication

I want to be able to search OneNote Notebooks using Windows Search so that files stored in Windows file systems AND OneNote Notebook results are returned.

I guess that means having a replicated Notebook on my local drive AND on Onedrive for Business (or other cloud location?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Scrolling of page list pan in OneNote is not smooth.

This may help if implemented as it is already in OneNote of Mac.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. make a one click option to convert one note doc. into a word doc.

make a one click option to convert one note doc. into a word doc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring back the new note button on the Start menu in the Windows 10 Mobile app

Although I can create a note from the notification center on Windows 10 Mobile, I much prefer the + button that I can put where I want it on the Start screen (as on Windows Phone 8/8.1). Please bring back the option to have this button on the Start screen so that I can put it where I can get to it with one-handed use (you can't swipe the notification center down one handed on a large screen phone)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide OneNote badge for Windows users sharing a notebook so it's easy to notice edits or additions from others

AFAIK, you have to manually open OneNote to check to see if others sharing a notebook have made additions or edits. If OneNote showed a badge on the icon you could easily see that you need to check your shared notebook for changes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base