OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Make Attachments Work Like This

Add support to attach/embed files as shortcuts so that OneNote won't copy duplicates of the files inside the notes; doubling up disk space. My idea is to add full preview support for attached shortcut files. If I'm not making this clear, this is an example of how I want things to be:-
    If I attach an audio or video file as an shortcut in OneNote, then OneNote should still be able to play it perfectly with all the controls and features; but the only difference being OneNote plays it from the original file from the disk and not by coping…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. improve default page layout options

We should be able to specify a default page size. I can set OneNote to open every new page with ruled lines, but not to open every new page a default size of my choice. You should be able to open a page, set literally everything you want with regards to format to your preference, and then then set it as your default page layout. Font, headings, page size, ruled lines, everything. Instead of having multiple different settings you can set as default, which I imagine could get complicated when coding...just have an option to set the current page layout…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. export to .png format

being able to export a note into a .png file would be very useful when using one note to design a mind map or flow charts.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to set default zoom level for viewing

Zoom levels are presently per-page, per-instance of OneNote.

It would be helpful to be able to set a default zoom level, such as 125% or 'Page Width,' that would be automatically applied when a page is loaded to view.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a way to view all photos / images in OneNote on a single page

I'd like to be able to scroll through all the photos or images in my notebook - just like searching through a phone or directory for a picture. Eventually it would be nice to see an "image search" but this is a good start.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Post note from outlook to password protected tab

I love that I am able to password protect a certain tab, and also agree that protecting a whole section would be neat.
    I use the password protect function for protecting my management information. However, I have found that it is not possible to create a note from the Outlook 2013 snap in to a password protected tab, without first going to Onenote and unlocking the tab first. Could you please fix this?

Thanks for a great Product and agile development team!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Audio and ink timing syncing like RichReview (or Livescribe)

Hi

I was a fan and a user of Livescribe Smart Pen , I loved that pen because it sync my written notes with the recorded audio and display it in a good way

onenote now has audio recording but it display it and sync it to the audio in a bad way

you need to make it like this new app from microsoft research , notice how when playing the audio the synced ink is highlighted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSTqxghHNQ

also you can look at livescribe desktop app and it will give you the same idea

please make this happen , it's…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add "Track Changes" from Word and "Versioning" for notebooks, sections, and pages.

Our product development team has found that OneNote is a very powerful tool for requirement / user story creation and tracking because of it's excellent layout organization but it lacks some of the advanced "Review" functionality from Microsoft Word that would put it over the top.

I'd like to see "Track changes" for users. This would help collaborators view changes made while they were not present in the notebook.

I'd also like to see versioning for notebooks, sections, and pages. This would include the ability to do a major or minor update as well as lock down a version from…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. For left handers set the 'recente notes' on the right site of the Windows 8.1 Store App

when you start writing with your pen as a left-handed writer you always thouch the ''recente notes" menu, which makes it appear on regular annoying times.. . having the capability to disable, or set it to the right will make the exeprience for left handed people much better.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Template items, shapes, drawings

In classes like chemistry, math, science related, there are often several types of graphs, shapes, equations, etc that are used. Equation editor already allows this, but this is for the others. I would like to create a shape or drawing and save it into templates to quickly access later throughout all my notebooks or maybe make it notebook specific. This would really speed it up for creating.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Scan to Contacts (OCR)

The ability to scan business cards straight to Contacts would be fantastic.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. i would like to see index cards in a cork board

ability to create index cards within a cork board. a method to organize multiple ideas in a single place.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Paste preformatted (monospaced) text quickly

I would like to have paste option which preserves preformatted text with monospaced fonts automatically

It will help us doing copy paste from logs easy. Currently all I do is doing screenshots of logs. Copy pasting the log as such will be great for me.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Simple animations of drawings.

A dream would be simple animations of drawings. Like we used to have in Microsoft Physics illustrator for Tablet PC. Could this code be repurposed. Drawing and notes could come to life.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. would like to know in outlook if an email has been sent to onenote. Currently an email can be sent many times by mistake.

Would like to know in outlook when an email has been sent to one note. Currently an email can be sent many times by mistake.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Editting Subsections

If microsoft wants the windows store app to gain in popularity or even lead the public (both casual and power users) to believe that it is a viable option over regular desktop apps They would do well to ensure that there is feature parity with the desktop versions of their app.

For this suggestion, I would like the Subsection/Subpages portion of the app to be brought up to par with the desktop app. Currently, we are not able to add/edit subsections. And Subpages can eb made to be edited easier in the app.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Increase the attachment size

Currently starting out with OneNote Class Notebook. Teachers want to be able to attach videos to notes as part of their resources. Currently small clips add as expected and play, but larger clips, "250mb" for example do not appear to add themselves correctly and get added as sharepoint url links that the students cannot play.

This is a bit limited and will put off some teachers, will this attachment size be increased in the future?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. about the file layout

as you see, now, evernote has better files layout design:
    1, it can show all the long documents name;
    2,it always stays in align ;
    3, it should allow customer to lock within A4 size, but no limitations in the paper length. actually,the word paper layout show move to onenote, it help;

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Drag & Drop Images Directly Into One Note

Hold down the left mouse click and drag the image over to the one note and drop it to have the image automatically appear in notes. Give an option to include the link or make the image a hyperlink to the original. At the least allow drag and drop of images, where I can plop some ideas and make my own ideas board or notebook.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Better Cut & Paste

copy and paste from apps like notepad++ or from microsoft sql server management studio, loose there syntax highlighting and changes the spacing,etc.. (if you copy for notpad++ into Word and then into onenote it works, but is tedious)

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base