OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Better support for browser bookmarks

I'm sure many people are, like myself, looking for a way to leverage OneNote to manage browser bookmarks.

Would love to see a "native bookmark" management capability within OneNote for Windows.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show the syncing icon for pages and sections as well as notebooks

The syncing icon that is shown next to the name of a notebook (http://i.imgur.com/229IH7I.png) could also be placed next to sections and pages so that the user can see exactly what is causing a syncing problem.

One of my notebooks is stuck syncing, and it has been like that for a long time. It's a large notebook, and i don't know what page (which then tells me what files) are causing the problem.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable working when no online connection is available

This is for Windows Phone (I worked on [and it applies to] 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10): OneNote is great for taking any kind of notes. Also I have several lookup tables in OneNote. However, it will not start without checking the network first. That may take a considerable time - more the poorer the connection. I know when I am in the basement there is no chance to take notes or lookup existing notes.

I would be great if I could take notes without the lag for network checking. Instantly would be perfect. The synching could happen later.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Attach/embed pictures in this suggestion box

I want to attach or embed screenshots to show what I'm talking about when I post an idea here.

This is not related to the OneNote application, it's related to the suggestion box website.

I didn't know the appropriate way to suggest this as there isn't an area for suggesting improvements to the suggestion box :P

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Unify GUI between OS platforms, particularly sections

I've been using OneNote on Win10 (Universal App version, not talking about 2016 one), on iOS, on Mac OS X and online, each version shows Sections somewhere else, once it's on top, on left, on right, it's kind of confusing for the user, this should be unified.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bring back insert fax.

I used it to insert statements and bills into accounts and a house log. It is far less cumbersome than your suggested alternative

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Custom Sync Schedule

It would be great if I could pick the sync schedule by folder. Some files I work with get updated constantly throughout the day and as-is onenote is constantly trying to sync them - it is a bandwidth and resource hog. I would prefer if I could set it to sync those files/folders only once at the end of the day.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Manage Pages or Page Sorter View

On View, there should be a way to view your notes and notebooks similar to how slide sorter on power point works.

Your notebooks would be on a shelf/row in the top, and the open notebook/sections would be a tab or sub-window. You can drag thumbnails of your notes to change its position in the section, or you can drag it to another section/notebook.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Better support for drag / pinch zoom when connected to additional monitor

I would like to be able to create more white space and drag a page around while connected to 2 monitors. When a Surface / Surfacebook has the desktop extended to another monitor, I can drag or pinch zoom the page. https://youtu.be/8102eAflABo

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Mac cannot save large onenote files in a full page by simply going to file print you must go to Office 365 then print it as a pdf

In my Chemistry class we us lab reports on OneNote using tables which can be seen clearly and as a whole in the program however go and try and print or save the page as a PDF then the table gets cut in half. The only way to fix it is by going into office 365 and printing it through there. If it can be done on office 365 then it should be able to be done on the Mac OneNote application

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Mathematics add-in

The mathematics add-in is a great concept but it has some bugs and unnecessary limitations. It would be much more useful if it fully matched the functionality of the stand-alone Microsoft Mathematics app, including: stored variable values, any letter or symbol can be a variable, and expressions always evaluate as a decimal value. It would be even better if it could handle units automatically as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Send Reading View of a Web Page to OneNote

Edge (and other browsers) contain a reading view. Send the reading view, without the left and top navigation and adverts that typically clutter a page, to a OneNote page.

I do this currently using the "Evernote Clearly" plugin for Chrome and Evernote. Would be great to have this in OneNote too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. break apart user voice for OneNote 2016 and OneNote for Windows/Windows Phone

These applications are very different and it makes it confusing to suggest features for the application when they are already in another version of the application under the same subcategory.

E.g. Recent notes in available on OneNote for Windows, but not on OneNote 2016. Multi-window support is available in OneNote 2016, but not in OneNote for Windows.

P.S. Please add both those features to the respective applications.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow me to open Notebooks created by the full version of OneNote

I have installed the FREE *Desktop* version of OneNote 2016 on my Win10 laptop. When I attempt to open a Notebook that was originally created on my old machine with a full version of Office 2013, I am unable to do so. I get a message that says "Using this notebook requires activating an eligible Office 365 subscription".

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. A mode where you can lasso things and it will auto copy then you can drag it immediately

Hello everybody I am not sure if this is a new idea but I do know it isn't a new problem.

As a user of surface for a little over 1.5 years I realized the biggest slow down in my productivity is taking time to copy and paste my equations over and over.

I am not sure how many other people do this but I use a different color for every variable in my equations as well as symbols since it makes the notes stand out to me and I can picture them better.

The down side of this is…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. classnotebook add in for mac

Would love to see an Classnotebook add-on for mac.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. create new page

At this time, there no shortcut button to create a page after the current one. There is only a button to create a new page after the LAST page, or create a new page "under" (meaning lower level in the hierarchy) the current page. There is no button to create a page after the current page, that is on the same level.
    I keep having to go into the list of pages, right click on the current page and choose create new page.
    Please create a shortcut button to create a new page after the current one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add an "Interaction Mode"

Concept:
    Add button/mode to prevent touch from selecting images, text, etc. Allow toggling of ink on and off.

Reason:
    When reviewing notes, I often pan with my finger. This results in the touch keyboard coming up, selection of images, accidental moving of table borders, etc. You could improve your product by adding a mode which could prevent these accidental interactions from modifying the underlying document.

In addition, still allowing the use of digital pen would be useful. However, giving the use the option to toggle inking on/off would be good.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Option To Turn Windows 10 OneNote Feature On/Off

After I upgraded to Windows 10 I started to use OneNote. Now that I have installed Office 365 Home I find I have two items in my Start Menu to launch the application: OneNote and OneNote 2016. Since we don't have the ability to remove it from the Start Menu, I would suggest giving people the option of having only one of the applications show in their Start Menu by making the Windows 10 OneNote feature one of the features in Windows 10 that can be turned on or off much like it's done for things like Media Features, SNMP,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base