How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Markdown Writing Mode

Have a special mode for entering Markdown text instead of RTF, that understands Markdown constructs including its own bold/italics, links, code entry, etc. with no interruption from the usual RTF formatting tools

425 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohamed Meligy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ali Hassan Abdulali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

onenote is the best note taking application it has very few missing features

markdown is one of the important missing features

• Sathya Narayanan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These days a lot of simpler editors made by smaller companies support markdown. Any reason why Microsoft is still not considering supporting it in OneNote? We need this so badly.

• Sahil Talwar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DEFINITELY agreed! It's so convenient to be able to use github style markdown in Atom in a scratch file, but then I don't get the convenience of OneNote features - whereas in OneNote, I keep getting constant spellcheck errors and no way to easily embed code, code blocks, quotes, etc.

• 莫子虚 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add Markdown edit mode, I like write markdown, and copy/paste the markdown from source to anywhere, like github or other apps

• Sean Sinderholm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this, I am hoping for markdown language. I found it to be easier to use Markdown than using a combination of keystroke to follow what I want. In the past, I dislike using markdown until recently, it is a fun language to use and get typing down fast. There is an addin for it but it would be nice to have a integration for OneNote. with markdown, many people will instantly use OneNote often

• Mario Napolitano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love you see an "Active code block" where you can actively modify/create code in the selected language and it will abide by the syntax rules and highlighting and everything just like Notepad++ does.

• Sayth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use github flavoured markdown or something easy and popular like kramdown, redcarpet etc that is well used and consistent. It would take onenote to the next level and really is a must for anyone using or studying technology.

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, this would be fantastic. Please give us a way to (a) enter markdown into a OneNote notebook and (b) get that markdown out again afterwards (i.e. don't read the markdown and then convert into OneNote's proprietary format, keep the original markdown too)

• Yash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be kinda neat if there was markdown support for OneNote like StackEdit. It's easier to do programming/engineering notes in markdown as its faster to make headings, quotes, definitions and code blocks.

I love onenote, but it's just too slow to still resort to slow word/rich text formatting when you're trying to keep up with the prof in a lecture or a TA in a tutorial.

It should be optional to make a note markdown friendly so only the users who want to use it may use it.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The description isn't great (we may have lost some votes from all the guys who don't know what RTF is) but I take notes on SQL Scripts, C# snippets, JavaScript, Web Design etc. All these programs ..scratch that.. all programs copy text to clipboard in RTF that I know of and I expect my note-taking tool to accept all formats as a minimum-requirement.

I copy and paste into an outlook email before I paste into OneNote to convert the text in the clipboard to HTML.

Fix it by yesterday please!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base