How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

TOUCH INPUT BUG - Touch controls disabled when connected to external devices (SP3)

OneNote 2013 Desktop does not respond to touch controls, notably page pannng with finger, and right click hold with finger, when connected to external devices via USB3.0. My Surface Pro 3 is connected, via usb 3.0 to an external (displalink) docking station, which is connected to a monitor and keyboard. When I am connected I cannot scroll or pan through the page with my finger, or right click by holding my finger on the screen. The program still takes drawing and touch input, but for whatever reason those functions seems to be disabled no matter the configuration. The only outstanding factor is the external devices.

Is anyone else having this problem? Connect your surface to a display, use OneNote 2013 desktop on your Surface and see if you can scroll/pan through the page on your surface, with your finger.

Please fix this, or add a menu option!

Thank you!

20 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alessandro Fabiano shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Closed  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Sorry to hear that this version of OneNote did not work as expected. OneNote for Windows 10 (simply labeled “OneNote”) is the most up-to-date version of OneNote on Windows.

14 comments

Comments are closed
    • wataru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not going to get fixed. The OneNote support team told me this was not their usage case so would do nothing about it. It has been like this for ages. Now the UWP version lost touch capability too. Incompetent app design.

• jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem with Windows 10, OneNote 2016.
      Making the tablet main display is not a good solution, because there are a lot of other disadvantages.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fixed the issue: Go to display settings and make sure that the monitor on your tablet/surface is marked as "main display". If the secondary monitor is marked as main display, the finger input will not work on the surface.

August 2017, OneNote 2016 and Windows 10 and this is still a problem. I need an external monitor to display video while I take notes on OneNote on my Surface Pro 4 screen. To make this work I need single finger panning and scrolling. How can this be a problem? It works fine on Drawboard.

• Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also having the same problem cannot use my finger to scroll One Note pages when docked - very irritating. The problem only occurs with One Note.Has anybody found a solution yet?

• Corey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going insane trying to deal with Onenote and this problem. I have a monitor plugged in which causes the loss of touch scrolling so I cannot continue writing downwards on the page, and if I am anywhere but the very bottom of the page, Onenote jumps to the bottom whenever I place my palm on the screen.

Is there a fix?

• Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This still appears to be an issue on Windows 10 and Onenote 2016. Does anyone have a fix?

2 Years later .......Has any progress been made in fixing this bug???? It is still an issue and hinders the functionality of the product.

• Jake Burner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I apologize for digging up an old post, but this is still an issue in OneNote 2016 and it cripples my usage of OneNote.

The problem is that OneNote 2013 and 2016 only respond properly to touch input on the primary monitor. Touch input on any secondary monitors is unusable. Single-point touch input for selection (or checking check boxes, or any kind of pointing) inside a page does not work. Two-point touch for secondary monitors instantiates a weird, skewed zoom mode that is nearly useless.

In my case, I have two touch monitors on my desktop, and touch input only works properly on the primary display. I can replicate this problem on my Surface Pro 3. When plug in my touch monitor to the SP3 (with the SP3 as primary), the external monitor touch input does not work properly.

OneNote is my favorite program, but I can't make full use of it on my desktop because I constantly have to switch from touch to mouse input when I forget that I'm working on my secondary monitor.

• Alessandro Fabiano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PS - pinching to zoom does work, however the dynamics of the function are skewed and is difficult to complete the action. The page zooms in and out really fast, as if the sensitivity was very high - move very little and the subsequent action is much greater than anticipated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base