How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Disable spell check option for certain page/notebook

I think it would be fantastic if there is an option where spell check can be disabled for a certain page or notebook. This is because, a lot of times we throw in things like contact names and other things, which obviously the spell check does not recognize and we do not want red zigzag underlines all throughout the page which looks annoying. However, there might be times where we actually require spell check like drafting a letter or making notes for a blog or something.

87 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be happy with the ability to have a "No Proofing" option on the Set Language dialog to achieve this.

• Tao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it will be very useful, at least for me, a developer. There are some other apps can support that on Onenote, such as Onetasctic Addin. But it's only free for a certain time. Not sure why Onenote can't have this feature by itself.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding my vote. I'd prefer the option to be attached to a formatting style (e.g. 'code' style)

• T. Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok listen, the red lines are useful, truly. But I'm typing, and I'm typing quickly. I'm just trying to get what's in my head written down. Truth is, the red lines judge me. They are hard to ignore, and I just NEED to go back and correct the error just so the red lines aren't staring me in the face. I become obsessed with it, it kills my train of thought.

I know, I know, I spell like shizz, and my typing skills aren't the best. But I have ADHD and it just gets insane.

I'm not writing a manuscript, I'm just scratching my notes out.

• Sylvester Tate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this would be very helpful for students in computer science classes. Or maybe even adding camel case detection or being able to import library dictionaries for API's would be really cool!

• Darwin Boor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must for those of us who use programs, mathematical equations, and chemical formulas.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when is this coming? i cant bear oneNote everything is red marked anymore. However i dont want to change

• David Lean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree.
    I often past large snippets of source code, so I can highlight key syntax, & delete the minor parts.

It would be much cleaner to have a "disable spellcheck" option on the page / section, than to keep setting the Proofing language to Afrikaans.

Completely turning off spell check is not an option.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's strange that in all other Office products you can disable spell check for selected text but not in OneNote?!?

• Ruud van Gaal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just came from Evernote, but this is indeed a strange 'feature' that is really making OneNote's use a bit of a nuisance. Since the dawn of time, spell checking requires two things: enable/disable and language select. It's frustrating to see these two simple options have not been added.

Hopefully someone will come to their senses soon and add these requirements.

• Enrique Thedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I write in spanish but some times I need to intercalate words in english. I don't like to see the screen full of red underlines...

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3
    I use OneNote frequently at work, which sometimes includes keeping a copy of some log file outputs or code snippets. These invariably look like wavy red jungles. Ability to disable for a single page would be clutch

• Christoph Zwerschke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really, OneNote should have an option for that.

My workaround is to mark the text with Ctrl-A and set the language in the "Review" menu to Latin.

• Yura Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

sometimes need to post some code blocks, and they become completely red

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base