How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Sorting options for Onenote, Notebooks, Sectiongroups, Sections and Pages

Provide options that allow sorting of the various items in any of the above. This could be the normal Alphabetical or Date searches, but could also be more dynamic i.e. Contains Tag ??, Contains ?? in Subject etc. This would potentially allow things like a notebook that has sections ordered in Priority etc.

782 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Trevor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

145 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100% with Jeff Eusebio. I'm in the same position. Our organisation has adopted the whole office 365 stack with OneNote, and removed local admin privileges. Previously I happily used Evernote on my work laptop so I've got 3000 notes in my 68 stacks. I cannot work with OneNote at all, so I've resorted to keeping a RDP session open on my corporate laptop to my developer VM.

The lack of this simple sort functionality completely kills OneNote. Without it, it's not fit for purpose.

The biggest irony in this is, the exact functionality we need has been built into Windows Explorer since the earliest days! Tabular view, sort by title, date modified, date created and all manner of metadata, ascending or descending. You can sort your music files by artist and genre, your photos by focal length and exposure, but you can't sort your notes by the date you last edited??

So MS can't even connect the dots and understand people need it in their flagship note taking product?? Farcical.

• Jeff Eusebio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried migrating from Evernote. I have 268 notebooks in 10 notebook stacks. I expected a stack to become a notebook, a notebook to become a section, and a page to stay a page. The importer ignore stacks (1st killer). I ran the import on 4 notebooks as a test. One of them, my "meeting notes" notebook, has 650 pages. In Evernote, I can easily see the date of each meeting, sort them by date, etc. I opened up the same notebook in OneNote and was horrified. No dates, no ability to sort by date, and the importer had split my simple list of meeting into 7 different Sections (each with 100 pages). Nooooooo! I actually DO like OneNote and I use it concurrently with Evernote, but wow... it seems like this should be simple but perhaps it's super hard. Back to Evernote (for now). Microsoft... dedicate few more resources to incorporating what Evernote does well and you'd have 10MM new users.

• Doslo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with some, OneTastic is a fantastic thirdparty plugin that does alphabetizing VERY well. It should be a standard feature

Please buy OneTastic (give them lots of money for it, because it's awesome) and then bolt on the integration into the desktop client

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the process of converting from Evernote to OneNote and the lack of sorting of pages functionality has stopped me in my tracks. Like everyone else, I think it is unfathomable that this is not a standard option. I think I'll be sticking to Evernote, this is too much of a 'must have' for me to transition to OneNote.

• hktomato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like most of the comments in this feedback column, OneNote definitely needs to act on their voices asking for a sorting capability for its pages and sections. Otherwise users will switch to other note taking software that allows them better manage their notes taken. Period.

• Doron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request has been on for 4 years and MS is not acting on it. This should have been part of the original software and not an afterthought. PLEASE ACT!

• Ook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lol, just deployed OneNote 2019(!) and amazingly enough, the feature is still missing.. Rather than curving icons and changing the ribbon's color scheme, why not actually work on adding new features? It's just bizar that I still need to rely on a 3rd party plugin for such basic features as "Sort".. Guys, come on!!

• One Note Wonder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of sorting options in OneNote is mind boggling - especially as I had to go through the pain of copy and pasting all the pages from Outlook Notes - one by one.

Outlook Notes itself has the sorting options needed here. I moved away from it to get to a notes product that was cloud based and synched my PC with Phone / Tablet.

This feature seems like it should be standard out the box feature and it does not seem to hard to accomplish. This is a very old thread so it must be super difficult.

Missing of alphabetical and date sorting (ascending/descending) is mind-blowing!

The opportunity to sort by Name or Date created in the left hand Notebook panel and in the related Pages panel sections.

• MCT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Consider cookbooks where pages = recipes. they are entered in random alphabetical order but need to be sorted afterward so all A's and B's and C's line up together and so forth

• Martin Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sticking with Evernote for another year. I had imported everything into OneNote and spent the last few hours learning about OneNote only to find this abomination of a missing feature. No ability to sort by date updated even though the 'What's the difference' page states it as a feature of OneNote for Win10. Rampant insanity.

Yes, please allow us to sort our notebooks alphabetically or chronologically, etc This is desperately needed!! If One Note cannot provide sorting ability, many users (myself included) will have no choice but to move away from this product.

Thank you.

• Mark JC Tigwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote has gone from strength to strength and I use it today more than ever, but the inability to sort all notes in date (chronological) order still remains a glaring and inexplicable omission 14 years since original release. It's so basic and dumbfounding. Even my paper notebook has this feature - you simply flick back to move back through your notes in time. "Recent notes" has proven unreliable to me.Will this ever be fixed?

Come on! How hard can it be for engineers to add some basic sorting functions to notes? Surely your ***** dev teams can pull this kind of thing off quickly?!

I understand that OneNote is designed around the metaphor of a physical notebook but the reason most of us take notes on a computer vs on paper is so that things like sorting can be done automatically--and to our preferences--without manual intervention being required every time. The sort function is about being efficient and working the way the users need to work.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base