How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

More Formatting Features (table styles, all lowercase text, default font, increase/decrease font size buttons, etc.)

- Table Styles
- Case Controls (e.g. all upper, all lower, etc.)
- Different Styles (Default heading color and font)
- Increase/Decrease Text Size buttons

747 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bryan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  Omeed Chandra responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback! We are considering this request, but don’t have anything to announce at this time. Please stay tuned.

65 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also include sorting features similar to those in Excel for lists and tables.

• Nathan Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow 4 years since MS responded.

Would love to see table formatting like Word and even Outlook have

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using multiple tables in a OneNote document and then emailing the page, tables that appear to be aligned on the screen become un-aligned in the email. I'd love to know how to get around this.

Word text controls are awesome. Why not just port them into OneNote?

I dearly miss the ability to apply intelligent styles to my text. Custom styles are a great way to get consistent notes across many contributors. Consistency improves legibility and value.

My take on this subject:

- Customizable Styles
        - auto-formatting code
        - Anti-Aliasing rendering of fonts

• Andrea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to insert Icons. I use a lot of arrows in my notes, and prefer Word because of the autoconvert
        --> feature

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to add custom styles would be fantastic (without having to install an addon)!

• Louis Engelbrecht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can OneNote be missing so many formatting features that have been in Word for years? There's some sort of ridiculous, executive level reasoning behind this failure because no self-respecting programmer would let this happen.

• Ryan Matthes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company has precise branding standards. OneNote should support Themes just like Word so we can copy information in and out in a predictable way. OOXML, please!

• Da En commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, it's been 3 years since the "gathering feedback" response ... Doesn't mean something good ... I'd appreciate to have a background color for visually separating different pieces of text.

When I have a section of text that is from another location I like to be able to set the background for that section to another color so that it looks like a box with the text inside (like code view in various websites).

The only way to do this in one note is by setting a highlight which only changes the background color where there are characters so instead of having a box shape with a solid background you have an iregular shape with only the text having the background color. Blank lines have no color at all and it breaks apart something that intended to be related.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Banded rows/columns + Header row + filter (i.e. the Excel table features) would be really helpful

• SparksinTexas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Headings look just like the Links!!

1)
        Give us the option of setting our own Font Size, Font Color, Line Spacing, Paragraph Spacing for Normal, Headings, & Bullet Lists

2)
        If you are in a paragraph or an outline then Let Tab move you from Heading 1 to Heading 2 to Heading 3 etc. and Shift-Tab to move back thru the levels to paragraph level.

If you are inside a bullet list then Let Tab move you from Bullet 1 to Bullet level 2 to Bullet level 3 etc.

I use Headings and Bullets EVERY day -- Tables are inserted using the Insert Table Feature not Tab

3) Make it so when I copy a Heading from One Note to Word it REMEMBERS that it is a Heading

• Paul Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel it is imperative that OneNote behaves the same as the rest of the tool set. The lack of features makes life a real pain copying and pasting from other Office applications and then being unable to format in a familiar way.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base