How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Windows: Enhance To-Do functionality with reminders, geofencing, a summary view of all To-Dos, and multi-user completion notifications

Allow individual list items to have associated reminders, to include geofenced, time/date, and programmed event based. Allow these reminders to be synchronized with outlook.com calendars and to do lists, and to provide notifications to users via the OneNote app. Shared notebooks could provide these notifications to multiple users on different platforms. Add a notification for when the list item is complete : ie, let my spouse know when I've picked up the milk. Consider "Bob is working on list X," and "Susie has completed list X" for longer lists, rather than spam notifications. Allow users to determine the type of notification by the type of check box selected. Allow notifications to be batch assigned to lists. For example, if I start a list that says "drug store," allow me to assign the same geofenced reminder and notification for the whole list. Consider context aware geofencing, where instead of a location, I select "grocery store," and then can fine tune the reminder based on range, time within range. For shopping lists, allow the items to be more than just a string of text. Allow them to be database entries that can be submitted with upc symbol scan, online search, or manual entry, either for a generic item type or a new item, perhaps with a photo. Allow an entry to be updated at time of purchase with time, date, location, specific item upc, and price. Items would be stored in one note (or items could be stored as references to a central online database) and could be inserted into new lists, or referenced when shopping in the future. Items could be added to lists with either generic or specific descriptions.

1,454 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  Omeed Chandra responded  · 

Thanks for voting for this suggestion! We can’t make any promises at this time, but we are definitely considering this feature and would love to hear more about how you would use it and why it’s important to you. If you haven’t done so already, please feel free to add a comment with this information.

130 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Shane Fenton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow... suggested in 2014, continuous feedback and requests for 4 years and yet still not even basic 'reminder' functionality? Literally every competitor offers this functionality now - making it appealing, but unfortunately more difficult to switch since many of us are held ******* in the MS corporate ecosystem for work.

Date/Time reminder ALONE would be a huge jump. Instead of switching back and forth between Outlook (whose reminders are horribly inefficient), a simple OPTIONAL pop-up calendar when tagging a "to-do" in OneNote would be a massive step forward.

PLEASE COMMUNICATE SOME STATUS OF THIS REQUEST BEYOND A THANKS FROM 2014 MICROSOFT.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. Reminders via notifications from the OneNote app would be amazing. I'm a hybrid Mac/Windows/iOS user, and love that I can install your app everywhere, but I don't use the entire ecosystem (so reminders via Outlook is a no go for me).

Thanks for considering this feature!

• Abdul Moueed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what i would like to have:
        1. Set an alarm for a specific task in onenote. and as onenote is installed on my laptop and mobile i hear alarm on both.
        2. incl functionality of wunderlist or MS ToDo in one note. Oh Yeah. it would be great. One note would become my one stop for all word processing, spreadsheets, notes taking, organizing tasks, setting reminders, alarms, todo lists etc etc.

• Naveena Nadiminti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thrive on reminders during my busy day at work.
        There is no way to set those due to which I could miss tasks.

I am making do with the 'Find tags' feature and creating custom tags. However, I am still missing out.
        Having a reminder pop up as it does in Outlook will be amazingly helpful.

Hello OneNote Team.

Thank you for your hard work to make our life easier with OneNote.

Let's change OneNote to a real social note taking platform ala Facebook :) where everyone who are invited to a OneNote page can contribute, comment, like, tag, follow, un-follow etc..

One of the most important request or idea from me is about TASK MANAGEMENT

1. Assign task to a person; For every task created in a OneNote page i would like to be able to assign a task to someone with start, due date, and reminder. The assignee will get notification on OneNote apps and email.

Then i can sort tasks based on category, Date, Not started, In progress, Due Date, Assignee, etc.... For every task is completed, task will automatically be moved to complete category or section so i can focus only on all uncompleted tasks. Right now in OneNote, a tasks is only a Checkbox, once the checkbox is checked, then i have to manually move the completed tasks to a section i call Complete (i am talking about Kanban board process here)

2. Everyone can comment on a task in a OneNote page: when someone has commented something on a task, notification will be sent out to one or all users who follow the specific task.

3. Inline comments: Everyone can mark a word, document, photo or a specific area on a photo or document, then write down their comment and tag other users. Notification will be sent out to one or all users who follow the specific page. Confluence has this really nice feature which you can read more here https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF57/Commenting+on+pages+and+blog+posts

I understand that Microsoft also owns Wunderlist, MS todo.Wunderlist is a fantastic application, so why not integrate Wunderlist or MS Todo to OneNote. By this way we can manage all tasks directly from OneNote and all tasks and its contents will be Sync with Wunderlist or MS todo too.

I think many OneNote users would love to focus on one single Application such as OneNote, instead of switching between many applications to manage their Notes and Tasks.

Best Regards.
        12 years of Experience OneNote user

Hello OneNote Team.

Thank you for your hard work to make our life easier with OneNote.

Let's change OneNote to a real social note taking platform ala Facebook :) where everyone who are invited to a OneNote page can contribute, comment, like, tag, follow, un-follow etc..

One of the most important request or idea from me is about TASK MANAGEMENT

1. Assign task to a person; For every task created in a OneNote page i would like to be able to assign a task to someone with start, due date, and reminder. The assignee will get notification on OneNote apps and email.

Then i can sort tasks based on category, Date, Not started, In progress, Due Date, Assignee, etc.... For every task is completed, task will automatically be moved to complete category or section so i can focus only on all uncompleted tasks. Right now in OneNote, a tasks is only a Checkbox, once the checkbox is checked, then i have to manually move the completed tasks to a section i call Complete (i am talking about Kanban board process here)

2. Everyone can comment on a task in a OneNote page: when someone has commented something on a task, notification will be sent out to one or all users who follow the specific task.

3. Inline comments: Everyone can mark a word, document, photo or a specific area on a photo or document, then write down their comment and tag other users. Notification will be sent out to one or all users who follow the specific page. Confluence has this really nice feature which you can read more here https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF57/Commenting+on+pages+and+blog+posts

I understand that Microsoft also owns Wunderlist, MS todo.Wunderlist is a fantastic application, so why not integrate Wunderlist or MS Todo to OneNote. By this way we can manage all tasks directly from OneNote and all tasks and its contents will be Sync with Wunderlist or MS todo too.

I think many OneNote users would love to focus on one single Application such as OneNote, instead of switching between many applications to manage their Notes and Tasks.

Best Regards.
        12 years of Experience OneNote user

The messaging aspect of the TODO would be amazing. Either being able to tag a list to everyone the OneNote book is shared with to fire off an email everytime a task is done or the list is complete, or when a task is overdue, would add amazing functionality to OneNote!

• Micah Rairdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a TODO in the middle of a bunch of notes and then being able to aggregate those TODOs out of all your various notes into a simple list is invaluable.

Being able to turn those TODOs into a context aware GTD system with reminders that pop up on my phone would greatly add to the value. It would turn this into something even better than an org-mode in my opinion.

• Francesco Cristelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Find tags" feature of OneNote 2016 is amazing. Is it possibile to have the ability to search for all tags or specific tags in the same way also in the Windows 10 and Android/iOS apps?

The only reason i keep using evernote rather than go fully on OneNote is because the reminders. Geofencing reminders would kill any need to guess when i'll be around a place to do or buy something listed on OneNote.

I would use this to add notification for checklist items (keyboard shortcut CTRL+ 1). I ideally it would notify regardless of whether I had OneNote open or not. In general I would love to see more integration between the functionality available in other Microsoft office products. Currently, it seems like Microsoft is building all of these awesome software but without any interdepartmental communication. As a result, there is very little integration

I would use this to add notification for checklist items (keyboard shortcut CTRL+ 1). I ideally it would notify regardless of whether I had OneNote open or not.

I reason I cannot switch from evernote is reminder inside the note. I need to put a reminder when I take a note requiring a future actions. I cannot do so in Onenote
        Please look towards adding this feature

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that ToDo is available as a replacement for Wunderlist, would be a good opportunity to integrate OneNote action items with ToDo as a task list.

• Nisse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not add a calendar feature as well. Then microsoft would finally get a shared calendar that might work....

Hi OneNote team,
        I have used Onenote for over 9 years now and I can't live without OneNote both at work and for Private.

Right now there are so many apps from different vendors such as Apple, Google etc..
        I am using OneNote for all kind of notes, but due to its lack of task functionality and social communication plus poor UI when it comes to "task/to do list", I still have to use other apps such as Asana, Trellor etc.

We dont have to create some thing similar to Asana or Trellor, but maybe create a plugin or make some kind of simple UI where we can create task in Onenote with some of the following features.

- Taskname
        - Task info
        - Task with different views such as: List, card, kanbanboard
        - Assign to: a user or a group by using @Xname or @XGroup so Xname or XGroup will get notification
        - Date: Start and Due date
        - Comment: User can comment tasks
        - Share to do list: To one or more user or public.

When a task is marked as completed, it will automatically moved from backlog/todo or WIP to complete.
        By this way user can identify and control their task list easily. Right now i have too look through a punch of tasks/text, its not so intuitive.

If OneNote can include most some of the features above, I believe that all other notes apps out there will fall behind. Because OneNote has its all, you can create simple task to advance notes taking.

Thanks

• Robert Kowton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When searching for tags in One Note 2016 desktop, if you search tags with only "Unchecked" you see any "To do" tag that is unchecked. To find tags like "Important" / "Idea" non To do type tags, you have uncheck the "Unchecked" box which means you now have to scroll thru all To do tags both checked and unchecked to find non to do tags. I find this unproductive. Is it possible to add the ability to search specific type of tag or add ability to include non to do tags when you search tags unchecked you also get the non to do tags to show? Thanks you,

We use a OneNote Notebook to handle all of our reference information in IT. Then we discovered we could move our projects to OneNote and track the information there easier than in SharePoint. However, we do not have the ability to assign tasks to each other and complete them easily. This type of functionality described would be a nice enhancement for us. We now use OneNote as a replacement for our wiki and project tracking. Obviously we are a small shop. We also gave up the ability to have scheduled dates by doing this but because we are small the dates are just entered on each project as information.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base