How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Either make the Windows 10 version feature rich, or abandon it in favor of continuing OneNote 2016

There seems to be indecision and lack of direction when it comes to OneNote. Are there two different teams developing it? Has development stalled?

There are several features in OneNote 2016 that are not available in the Windows 10 UWA version. The most major one being the ability to searching image text converted by OCR. Please decide which product you want to succeed.

I personally have tried using the Windows 10 version for several months and had to abandon it in favor of the 2016 version.

979 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Micah B shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Daverso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please continue to develop onenote 2016 or port commonly used features to onenote for windows 10.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My vote goes to deleting the entire Metro interface completely, they should have deleted it when their pathetic attempt to enter the mobile market and shoehorn mobile apps in to windows failed so terribly. Now this childish and rubbish UI is lingering around like a bad breathe.

• Amie Little commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Windows 10 version is SOOOOOO not an acceptable substitute. I guess I'll just organize my life offline with 2016. forever.

• hokori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

为什么OneNote桌面版本没有更新最新图标,我觉得OneNote UWP非常简陋,非常难用,希望继续更新office OneNote桌面版本

• Michael Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I say "what they all said" and still have some impact? OneNote is such an important part of my daily workflow that I'm truly at a loss for what I'm going to do without it since OneNote for Windows is such an inept substitute. Please consider either adding an option for a full version similar to OneNote 2016 [ I'd gladly pay for it myself if my company won't offer it ] or add 2016 features into the currently anemic version of OneNote for Windows. If one of your PMs wants to gather real customer feedback, you have my email address and I'm more than glad to block some time for a show-n-tell discussion.

• Eric Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently learned that OneNote 2016 is being abandoned, so I have made the switch to the Windows 10 version to get used to it. Overall it is fine and I can get most of what I need out of it. There are 3 things that are lacking that I am struggling with.

1. The send to OneNote tool does not exist. Win + shift + S has become second nature for me to capture a screen clipping and send it to my clipboard. I use this for everything, not just OneNote. This still works because I have 2016 installed, but without it I will have to find another way to do this with a hotkey.
    2. I use hyperlinks all the time. I hyperlink between OneNote pages to switch between different notebooks easily. For example, I will put a link in my team meeting notebook to a page in my project notebook so I can quickly update my team on my progress. I am well aware that I can still do this, but it is not as easy as it used to be.
    3. When I highlight text, there used to be a quick edit box that popped up where I could change font size, highlight, and such. This is also gone.

OneNote is still my most important application and I am happy with many of the new features that are in the Windows 10 version. I am glad to see the shift to a single version of the product and look forward to seeing how it evolves.

• Chris Kattelus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With OneNote 2016 I was able to press the windows key + S to select the portion of the screen I would like to capture then copy that directly into an email, OneNote, a document, etc.

Please bring back that functionality with OneNote for Windows 10.

• Lars Küster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love OCR Text recognition. I love having add ins such as onetastic which makes my life easyer... e.g. creation TOC or removing certaint thing. I promoted onenote as a superb knowledgebase... but using onenote uwp is a shame. It even does not support outlook tasks... which i used frreuqently... one of my favourite features - inserting screenshots directly from onenote - isnt available yet.. Exporting files as onepkg isnt available... for me as a freelance it trainer who transformed his trainining material into onenote notebooks this is essential to hand them over to participants... as their own personal notebook which they can annotate.

• Art Scheel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give us .one and .onepkg file import/export as well. We do not WANT to be stuck in a Microsoft-centric cloud environment. We want LOCAL FILES.

• Joe Shuster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My favorite version of OneNote when I am sketching and using a touchscreen is OneNote UWP (or "OneNote for Windows 10", me: 16001.11629.20028.0).

Otherwise I use OneNote 2016.

OneNote 2016 has more features, the UI is richer on my monitors, it's more configurable, and the keyboard navigation experience seems more robust.

OneNote UWP has nice features but I don't like its dumbed down interface (unless sketching).

OneNote 2016 is MORE and OneNote UWP is LESS.

Am I wrong or is Microsoft's consumer direction increasingly about providing training-wheel level consumer experiences (phone/browser/apple/google ui/mentalities), instead of deepening tools for intermediate users and professionals?

• Sharon Soltesz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely with this. I switched to Windows 10 as it seems to be the future but I am quickly becoming so frustrated with the minimum features that I may switch back. Either fix the Windows version or continue support of the Office Version please.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the 2016 Version also. I am getting tired of not being able to find the things I want in 2010 that I could do in 2016.

• da commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tables too are really watered down as u cannot merge like you can in word

• Mahesh Krshnawalla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

onenote 2016 has many features. Using Onenote windows 10 version I have to go back everytime to onenote 2016. wasn't it suppose to be more feature loaded. looks onenote windows 10 gone backwards. please pack with 2016 features like before or abandon onenote windows 10

• Rimvydas Velykis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 version of OneNote is terrible. Navigation and everything else. Please continue developing proper, feature rich 2016/2019 traditional version.

• Ann Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are so many features missing from the Windows 10 version, I don't know where to start on requests. An option to make it look like the "full version" OneNotes would be a good starting place. I use Section Groups and even nested Section Groups Extensively to organize everything from vacations to technical notes. The Win 10 version layout is not conducive to this. I also use 10+ different notebooks. I like being able to see my notebooks and sections on the left without wasting a ton of space with pages and everything there too so that I can easily jump around between notebooks.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base