How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include the feature from OneNote 2016 to make customizable tags

Customizable tags is a feature my business can NOT live without. This is the only thing that keeps us from switching to OneNote (from OneNote 2016)

278 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PBall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

We appreciate your feedback on tag search and custom tags. We have shipped tag search, other search capabilities, and custom tags for the OneNote app. Please go to the App Store and make sure you have the latest build, explore, and give us feedback on these areas.

Areas to explore and give feedback on –
    • Tags in your notebook and pages now appear in your search results
    • Search for multiple tags
    • Tag suggestions in the search dropdown
    • Recent searches
    • You can now use quotes around a phrase to search for that exact phrase instead of individual words
    • Pivot on page and tag results I the search results pane
    • Combined tag and text searches
    • Do you get unwanted results?
    • Is your regular page search getting impacted in any way?

Areas to explore and give feedback on custom tags –
    • The workflow of creating custom tags
    • The custom tag icons
    • The usefulness of the custom tags
    • Deleting a custom tag

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the ability to create custom tags and filter/search based on those tags would be fantastic. One I use is: Process Improvement 2019. I keep a daily log of my activities and anything that I consider a process improvement gets tagged. I then filter at the the end of the year and consolidate them into a single list come review time. I also like the idea of @Mentioning people, but it would be great if we could also @Mention a project.

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, the Tag Summary page feature is amazing! I like using it to produce a table of contents for my notebooks, making it easy to surface things we've tagged.

• RCP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very handy to be able to highlight text using custom tags, as is possible in OneNote 2016. I use it to highlight decisions made during meetings, to give one example.
        Also, the icon set is too limited at the moment.

Please bring this feature on par with OneNote 2016.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom tags in the Store version are missing the ability to set highlight and font colors

• Mary B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ON team needs to update these - custom tags are in the latest Store version

• aditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Outlook 365 has "mentions" now, if this comes to OneNote for 365, collaborating and getting the attention of team members to different tasks would become so easier. I see a lot of use of this feature within the team notebooks in OneNote. If it could be integrated with Microsoft planner or Microsoft to do, this could become one of a kind graphical planner. The benefit of just mentioning team members in a team notebook and a team planner or the to do lists of team members updating automatically will make things clear and easy for everyone.

2. The ability to create custom tags on the fly using #tag; provided onenote gives you suggestions when you start writing out a tag; provided you test it for all input methods for onenote (type, and all the pen input methods for surface). In addition, let people add custom tags through menu and add beautiful icons to each tag and all the good stuff. You guys already thought about mentions, the rest of the world has been using hashtags a lot since quite some time.

• Shrikant Pardeshi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to introduce Tag Customization as was provided in OneNote 2016. The current OneNote has pre defined tags only. I am not able to add more tags.

• KSteel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been trying to switch to the UWP version of OneNote, but am unable to as I use a lot of features that seem to only be available in ON 2016. Would love to use the Windows app version once it starts getting those! (Ex: custom tags! Also options to customize send to onenote defaults)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider the upcoming focus on UWP as chance! Don't just copy the desktop version but make it better. A smooth and efficient tagging system is absolutely essential. Check out Evernote or other programs, there are still good solutions (which lack OneNote's hierarchical organization features and free form editir). There is so much potential. Thanks!

• AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much to all of you who took the survey. The survey will close today, Wednesday the 18th at 1 pm PST. If you have started the survey, please complete by that time.

Preliminary results indicate that icons around shopping and home activities are needed as much as business-related icons. 23% of you sometimes use the same icon for a tag but with a different display name. The display name and icon are the most important components of a custom tag. And I hear you, having the ability to create custom tags on the MAC is a must.

• AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much to all of you who took the survey. The survey will close today, Wednesday the 18th at 1 pm PST. If you have started the survey, please complete by that time.

Preliminary results indicate that icons around shopping and home activities are needed as much as business-related icons. 23% of you sometimes use the same icon for a tag but with a different display name. The display name and icon are the most important components of a custom tag. And I hear you, having the ability to create custom tags on the MAC is a must.

• Vadym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI: in the survey q4 and q5 are the same
        also as good alternative would be to use existing emojies in Win10

• Monica Uhl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I am an avid user of OneNote - have been since its inception. I'd prefer to create my own tags and upload. However, I'd settle for Microsoft widely expanding the pre-Office 2003 looking symbols currently offered. Microsoft, are you listening? This request has been on users' wish list for years. Happy to be a concept contributor or tester for you!

• C. Yusuf Mumtaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps the Icons feature added to Word and PowerPoint could be introduced into OneNote for creating custom tags.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base