How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include the feature from OneNote 2016 to make customizable tags

Customizable tags is a feature my business can NOT live without. This is the only thing that keeps us from switching to OneNote (from OneNote 2016)

335 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PBall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminOneNote Team (User Researcher, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Hello—
You can now create custom tags to insert anywhere in your notebooks. For more information on custom tags and searching custom tags, read this blog – Custom tags available soon in OneNote
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/Custom-tags-available-soon-in-OneNote/ba-p/302898

Also, tags in your notebook and pages now appear in your search results.

32 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jo Pedder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't consider this as quite fixed - I need to be able to re-order the list in order to move from desktop - at the moment the shortcuts Ctr+1 - Crt+5 are taken up with the default tags. Please allow full modification of this list with custom tags. Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom tags, as well as searching them works great and as expected. Tag search results update quickly. Using quotes to search returns exact matches.

Deleting a custom tag removes it from the list of tags and cleans up the searches, though the text itself shows the tag icon.(Version 16001.11425.20094.0)

Having the ability to create custom tags and filter/search based on those tags would be fantastic. One I use is: Process Improvement 2019. I keep a daily log of my activities and anything that I consider a process improvement gets tagged. I then filter at the the end of the year and consolidate them into a single list come review time. I also like the idea of @Mentioning people, but it would be great if we could also @Mention a project.

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, the Tag Summary page feature is amazing! I like using it to produce a table of contents for my notebooks, making it easy to surface things we've tagged.

• RCP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very handy to be able to highlight text using custom tags, as is possible in OneNote 2016. I use it to highlight decisions made during meetings, to give one example.
    Also, the icon set is too limited at the moment.

Please bring this feature on par with OneNote 2016.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom tags in the Store version are missing the ability to set highlight and font colors

• Mary B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ON team needs to update these - custom tags are in the latest Store version

• aditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Outlook 365 has "mentions" now, if this comes to OneNote for 365, collaborating and getting the attention of team members to different tasks would become so easier. I see a lot of use of this feature within the team notebooks in OneNote. If it could be integrated with Microsoft planner or Microsoft to do, this could become one of a kind graphical planner. The benefit of just mentioning team members in a team notebook and a team planner or the to do lists of team members updating automatically will make things clear and easy for everyone.

2. The ability to create custom tags on the fly using #tag; provided onenote gives you suggestions when you start writing out a tag; provided you test it for all input methods for onenote (type, and all the pen input methods for surface). In addition, let people add custom tags through menu and add beautiful icons to each tag and all the good stuff. You guys already thought about mentions, the rest of the world has been using hashtags a lot since quite some time.

• Shrikant Pardeshi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to introduce Tag Customization as was provided in OneNote 2016. The current OneNote has pre defined tags only. I am not able to add more tags.

• KSteel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been trying to switch to the UWP version of OneNote, but am unable to as I use a lot of features that seem to only be available in ON 2016. Would love to use the Windows app version once it starts getting those! (Ex: custom tags! Also options to customize send to onenote defaults)

Please consider the upcoming focus on UWP as chance! Don't just copy the desktop version but make it better. A smooth and efficient tagging system is absolutely essential. Check out Evernote or other programs, there are still good solutions (which lack OneNote's hierarchical organization features and free form editir). There is so much potential. Thanks!

• AdminOneNote Team (User Researcher, OneNote Team) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much to all of you who took the survey. The survey will close today, Wednesday the 18th at 1 pm PST. If you have started the survey, please complete by that time.

Preliminary results indicate that icons around shopping and home activities are needed as much as business-related icons. 23% of you sometimes use the same icon for a tag but with a different display name. The display name and icon are the most important components of a custom tag. And I hear you, having the ability to create custom tags on the MAC is a must.

• AdminOneNote Team (User Researcher, OneNote Team) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much to all of you who took the survey. The survey will close today, Wednesday the 18th at 1 pm PST. If you have started the survey, please complete by that time.

Preliminary results indicate that icons around shopping and home activities are needed as much as business-related icons. 23% of you sometimes use the same icon for a tag but with a different display name. The display name and icon are the most important components of a custom tag. And I hear you, having the ability to create custom tags on the MAC is a must.

• Vadym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI: in the survey q4 and q5 are the same
    also as good alternative would be to use existing emojies in Win10

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base