How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Upcoming version: OneNote for Windows 10 ( local storage)

For all the OneNote desktop user since the beginning.
It is important that all the local OneNote-files can be used in the future without an upload to OneDrive.

591 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RCP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to save and open OneNote files is a must, for the following reasons:
        1. Privacy: I don't want *all* of my data in the cloud. I am the owner of my data, not Microsoft.
        2. Back-up: it's reassuring to know you can back-up and restore OneNote files at any time.
        3. Costs: why pay for more cloud storage if I can store (some of my) notebooks on my hard drive?

I'd like to know whether the OneNote team is (re)considering local storage support to be added to the UWP app.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The local storage option is absolutely necessary for for all the many reasons that others gave. In addition, I lost a month's worth of notes last year because of a OneDrive glitch. OneNote 2016 was syncing to OneDrive. One morning, I noticed the notebook that I was working on was reset to prior contents from a month earlier. All subsequent changes were lost. OneDrive had just synced that notebook and was about to start syncing the rest. I quickly copied all my notebooks to another drive and was able to avoid more lost data. Later in the day, I saw that every notebook in the original folder got reset to what it contained a month earlier. I no longer allow any syncing to OneDrive.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I mentioned in another suggestion, we need to have an official response from Microsoft for this ASAP. OneNote 2016 ends mainstream support in 2020. Afterwards, a back-end change to the cloud API could render OneNote 2016 unable to retrieve online notes. This would force users to them choose between online and local notes, but not both.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The local storage option must come back or OneNote goes. I've ripped OneDrive completely out of my nice new Surface Book. And if OneNote will not allow me to save personal files on my PERSONAL computer, I'll find a program that will or go without. Don't try to force software down my throat! Plus I've been to job sites so remote that there wasn't even cell service, much less internet.

Microsoft started as a way to democratize computing; perhaps some new upstart can come along an upset the applecart again.

• Jale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some notes are fine to store in the cloud. However other notes are strictly private and it is to vulnerable to store in the cloud. I care about my privacy and do not like to give consent to MS globally can access my all data all over the world to regimes I do not trust.
        According to GDPR/EU (EU privacy law) one principle is privacy-by-design - I believe that storage local is the only way to fulfill the obligation. Please Microsoft, respect privacy so I can control where data are stored and who have access - read more about principles in mydata.org

• ZL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you have years of notes (almost 200 G) in onenote and now they make online notebook a must...I see this as a way purely for getting money from onedrive subscriptions.
        Not optimistic about MS fixing it at all. More about seeing myself saying goodbye to a great product.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any plans to automate the migration of OneNote files stored on local storage to the OneDrive for Business location? Presently users need to manually move each notebook - going thru a number of manual steps - which can be horrendous. Hence if Microsoft is planning to EOL the OneNote desktop version - it needs to provide some tools or automation to do migration of local files to the cloud.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I store sensitive data in OneNote and it CANNOT be put in an external cloud for a number of legal and contractual reasons. This is a deal-breaker for me and will have to find an alternative to this great product that I won't be able to use in the future. The only way it could be stored in the cloud is to have 100% bulletproof encryption standards, which of course MSFT does not offer. Once you store it in the cloud, you essentially lose all control of it. And some data should never be treated in that manner!

Yes i really miss this feature too. Fine there is a password function. Ok its transfered encrypted. But i still can't store my costumer data in this program. I don't care what the technical promise you make. If that data got leaked i have to call around 100 people personally and explain what i have done with their personal and payment information. Make local notebooks possible so we can work with sensitive data offline. Thank you.

• Gold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Microsoft want to track & collect all of our information ?
        cuz' if there's no way to store notes locally, the only reason I thought was to spy us, and local support prevents that.
        If that's the case, I would love to switch to other note taking apps.
        Prove me wrong.

As a person doing research work, local storage is a must!

I wish to see that feature in the OneNote Windows 10 App. Otherwise I will continue to stick with other tools that let me handly my data as I wish.

There is no option to replace OneNote 2016 without able to store files on networkshares or local disks. This is nuts MS!!! There is so much privacy issues and security regulations in companies that its impossible to NOT have this option in Onenote. Specially since Onenote is really a notebook app with alot of information written down by users.

• Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We cannot store any of our notebooks on the cloud due to client info and intellectual property. We collaborate using network shares. We are all sadly leaving OneNote for another product today to begin migrating all of our team's notebooks. Goodbye, MS.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

vhe Win 10 App is absolut no option for me. To ensure data security and privacy, I must have the option to save data only locally without a cloud.
        I can not understand that Microsoft does not just provide this easy-to-integrate feature (BUT VERY IMPORTANT feature) in the Windows 10 App!

It's very sad, that Microsoft doesn't care about the thousend of business users, who paid for years for the OneNote Office. Now, thousend of business users have to search a new solution without Microsoft. With such a friendliness, I seriously think about switching to apple!

Especially for teachers I thought the OneNote was revolutionary (lesson planning, ...). But student data, ... do not belong in a cloud. So I will advise against using this app. For students it is also not recommended. It does not have to load all private data on the net!
        In my opinion, Microsoft is therefore not education-promoting!

Microsoft always emphasizes the benefits of cloud storage for many users. It may be that many like to use a cloud.
        But why does Microsoft have to exclude those who need to store their data locally!he Win 10 App is absolut no option for me. To ensure data security and privacy, I must have the option to save data only locally without a cloud.
        I can not understand that Microsoft does not just provide this easy-to-integrate feature (BUT VERY IMPORTANT feature) in the Windows 10 App!

It's very sad, that Microsoft doesn't care about the thousend of business users, who paid for years for the OneNote Office. Now, thousend of business users have to search a new solution without Microsoft. With such a friendliness, I seriously think about switching to apple!

Especially for teachers I thought the OneNote was revolutionary (lesson planning, ...). But student data, ... do not belong in a cloud. So I will advise against using this app. For students it is also not recommended. It does not have to load all private data on the net!
        In my opinion, Microsoft is therefore not education-promoting!

Microsoft always emphasizes the benefits of cloud storage for many users. It may be that many like to use a cloud.
        But why does Microsoft have to exclude those who need to store their data locally!

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use OneNote 2016 in our IT Services business for client information. We will not store this information on the Cloud.

If we cannot exclusively save the information to our servers and local hard drives we will no longer use OneNote.

• Alberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having local storage for my notes is an absolute & irrevocable deal breaker.
        I'm not willing to entrust anybody in a remote location (a cloud) to "safeguard" personal data whether sensitive or not.
        If Microsoft believes that storing personal data in "their cloud" is safer than having it in my own managed and protected environment then I'm anxious to see OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE to substantiate such a belief.
        Furthermore not even allowing me to back up my data to at least two distinct and secure places it sounds insulting to my intelligence and it shows the Microsoft profound disdain and misunderstanding to the most basic rules of data management.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base