How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Upcoming version: OneNote for Windows 10 ( local storage)

For all the OneNote desktop user since the beginning.
It is important that all the local OneNote-files can be used in the future without an upload to OneDrive.

739 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate that OneNote still works when you are offline (say on a plane) but we have files that are not permitted to be off of our network and so cloud mirroring is not allowed. To be honest, for some information, I would not want it out there anyway and Microsoft even suggests that OneNote is not a good product for highly sensitive information such as passwords. It is not acceptable to have some notebooks in Office 365 and some in OneNote 2016. This simple and, unnecessary decision by Microsoft has put me on a quest for a new, one-stop solution. I am sad to leave OneNote as it has been my go-to for years now, but I am not interested in making my workflow more complicated just because they want to move everything to the cloud. I have a personal Office 365 account and I supervise the same for our Corporate operations.

• Chris Howden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company has converted to Office 365 and I lost all of my notes because we do not permit OneDrive. I agree with many of the comments below. This is a huge error on Microsoft's behalf, and you will lose (or have lost already!) many of the business clients that use OneNote. I would wager that's where the vast majority of its users lie. Know your market! Businesses need solutions that work for them on their own terms.

• Brian Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need local storage options for OneNote. Although most users have Internet access (although from some of the comments, it could be limited) some corporations such as ours choose to limit the approved cloud storage available by users. Our company has adopted OneNote as a common sharing tool for information across groups and users, but the inability to store notes locally on a network drive rather than cloud defeats that functionality when cloud storage is disabled.

In addition to the comments already logged, the assumption seems to be that everyone has connectivity to the internet/network at all times. This is not the case, take for example cellular coverage in Europe. There are still many no 'data signal areas'!!! The ability to download to local storage on any device is essential.

• Robert Pierce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back ability to store Onenote notebooks anywhere like in 2016. Forcing me to do anything makes MS look like Apple. Please fix this ASAP. I am Sr Infra Cloud Soln Architect for huge companies and I cannot in good conscience recommend they use Onenote without the ability to protect their data by keeping it where they want to keep it. Please no argument. Just fix this.

• 罗川 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Local file is important. I will not use OneNote for win10 until it support local file feature. I do not want lose my note when MS servers break down.

I need to have copies of my files stored locally. This onedrive only **** sucks for everyone who knows computers and seems more like something Apple would do to prevent its users from screwing things up.

Use the Windows Feedback Hub to tell Microsoft: Users MUST be free to choose whatever file storage options they need, be it local or other cloud drives.
    (The hub is available from within OneNote by searching Help.)

Microsoft’s utterly BONEHEAD move to eliminate notebook storage anywhere but OneDrive is a dealbreaker. Reasons for local storage: private data, archives, redundancy, backups. Take away the ability to keep data privately, to keep archive and redundant copies, and have local backups and you destroy the app.

I work for the DoD - if i can't save a file locally, on our own secure network, then i literally cannot use your applications. You're alienating a HUGE user of your platform/software. Many big companies are likely operating the same.. Ditch the cloud requirement and let me 'sync' my own stuff. We still have office 2016, for now, but as soon as support is dropped in a few years, what are we going to do?

• . commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love OneNote but have abandoned it because of this cloud only move. MS don't tell me I'm not 'ready for the cloud' I develop cloud based solutions. Some data is not for right for the cloud for many reasons. Security, size, etc

If MS restore local storage and commit to it for the long term, I would come back to OneNote. It's a great app in all other respects

Absolutely unbelievable that it is not possible to open or save files locally!!!

Our company will be looking for an alternative solution and no longer using OneNote.

• Matt Wilkie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the #1 reason I don't use the Win10 version of Onenote. I use the cloud for storing many documents, but I also use local storage a lot. Both are essential for my work.

• Timothy Carroll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like using the cloud for many things. But not all things. I also want the ability to use this product with *other* cloud storage. OneNote (for ALL PLATFORMS) should be able to access local storage on their respective devices for notebooks, even if it means some advanced syncing features or collaborative features are unavailable.

• RCP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to save and open OneNote files is a must, for the following reasons:
    1. Privacy: I don't want *all* of my data in the cloud. I am the owner of my data, not Microsoft.
    2. Back-up: it's reassuring to know you can back-up and restore OneNote files at any time.
    3. Costs: why pay for more cloud storage if I can store (some of my) notebooks on my hard drive?

I'd like to know whether the OneNote team is (re)considering local storage support to be added to the UWP app.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The local storage option is absolutely necessary for for all the many reasons that others gave. In addition, I lost a month's worth of notes last year because of a OneDrive glitch. OneNote 2016 was syncing to OneDrive. One morning, I noticed the notebook that I was working on was reset to prior contents from a month earlier. All subsequent changes were lost. OneDrive had just synced that notebook and was about to start syncing the rest. I quickly copied all my notebooks to another drive and was able to avoid more lost data. Later in the day, I saw that every notebook in the original folder got reset to what it contained a month earlier. I no longer allow any syncing to OneDrive.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I mentioned in another suggestion, we need to have an official response from Microsoft for this ASAP. OneNote 2016 ends mainstream support in 2020. Afterwards, a back-end change to the cloud API could render OneNote 2016 unable to retrieve online notes. This would force users to them choose between online and local notes, but not both.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The local storage option must come back or OneNote goes. I've ripped OneDrive completely out of my nice new Surface Book. And if OneNote will not allow me to save personal files on my PERSONAL computer, I'll find a program that will or go without. Don't try to force software down my throat! Plus I've been to job sites so remote that there wasn't even cell service, much less internet.

Microsoft started as a way to democratize computing; perhaps some new upstart can come along an upset the applecart again.

• Jale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some notes are fine to store in the cloud. However other notes are strictly private and it is to vulnerable to store in the cloud. I care about my privacy and do not like to give consent to MS globally can access my all data all over the world to regimes I do not trust.
    According to GDPR/EU (EU privacy law) one principle is privacy-by-design - I believe that storage local is the only way to fulfill the obligation. Please Microsoft, respect privacy so I can control where data are stored and who have access - read more about principles in mydata.org

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base