How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Upcoming version: OneNote for Windows 10 ( local storage)

For all the OneNote desktop user since the beginning.
It is important that all the local OneNote-files can be used in the future without an upload to OneDrive.

422 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom Schaefges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We live in a rural area and have very limited internet access. If we have to store all of our OneNote files to the cloud it will be a complete deal breaker.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need to choose on our own where to store OUR files.

I stopped using OneNote for now and I already deactivated my Office subscribtion because of user unfriendly behavior.

Let us choose per notebook if it is stored locally or synced with OneDrive. That stupid cloud-only policy prevents me and many more from using OneNote.

Penbook, Scrbl and Inkodo are some good offline alternatives.

• Dr AN Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its the most important update that is immediately needed and it's the prime reason people are NOT switching to win 10 one note... Microsoft is greedy and want to force users to adapt their OneDrive but I am telling them,it won't happen as many would leave window platform for notability etc on iPad pro or may be Google pixel in future if they come out with something new amazing for note taking...So Microsoft must pay heed and stop forcing their loyal users in such a lousy way...

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too agree that we should have local storage of One Note files.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree there should be these three options for the storage of notebooks:

One Drive,
        Local PC,
        and an option to store on PC and One Drive with synchronization between them.

This will create more of an effortless experience for endusers. Plus, this is how 2016 was and I think should be continued!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree totally with Eric :

Eric commented · October 27, 2018 1:07 AM · Flag as inappropriate
        I would suggest that there be three options for the home/ storage of Note Books:

One Drive,
        Local PC,

• Lau Russ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree that there should be an option for local storage of OneNote for Windows 10. I do not use OneNote at all because of this limitation. The idea that all users have constant access to the Internet is a foolish illusion of the techs who live in a golden bubble. And, of course, not everyone desires to have their personal information stored in OneDrive or any cloud. I think it was big error to limit OneNote for Windows 10 to cloud storage only.

• Federico Cassissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's also pretty important when sync issues occur, if for some reason you have to reset the app there's no local backup (you lose all your local data)

A great deal of users across the world lack internet access (or reliable access), the current approach from Microsoft to limit OneNote files to the cloud will isolate thousands of users who depend on its functionality for business as well as education.

We are a Financial Services authority within the EU framework and our policies prevent sensitive data to be stored in public cloud storage such as OneDrive.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would suggest that there be three options for the home/ storage of Note Books:

One Drive,
        Local PC,

There really are those of us who must operate without internet at times. We would still like the advantages of One Drive while operating from the Local drive when needed.

Using One Note and One Note 2016 for now.

• David V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very important feature that seems to be going ignored. Developers and upper management overseeing OneNote please take this request seriously.

• Erik42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably one of the most polular requests for the new OneNote and the chance that it will be implemented ist equal zero. Sad that Microsoft decides in such a user-unfriendly way for business users.

• Andrew Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolute necessity! We're not allowed to use OneDrive to store company data so it's imperative to be able to use OneNote with local data - and to have the app to continue to be updated and not mothballed.

I agree with many others here. Local storage is a must and it would not prejudice Microsoft to offer this feature alongside with cloud storage just as they do with ON Desktop 2016. It is a travesty that Microsoft seems to want to ignore this need. One can only hope they will change direction on this.

• Ana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for a research laboratory and we handle confidential data. Having a cloud storage of our notebooks is not possible. WE NEED LOCAL STORAGE or to have OneNote 2016 brought back to life.

• michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a teacher I deal with personal information about students. Saving those in a cloud is absolutely not an option. In fact, I am not allowed to. If onneote for win 10 will not include the option to save notebooks offline on my ssd or nas, I will not be able to use it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base