How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Templates in UWP

If you're going to remove OneNote from Office 2019 and recommend people use the less full featured OneNote UWP app...you need to add pageTemplates from OneNote 2016/365 to the UWP app.

All functionality for Page Templates,
Creating a template
Saving a template
Using a Template as default for a note section

927 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Wildes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of a few big items for me as well. However, I just found that templates have been added at some point recently.

Setup a note that you want to use for a template, right click the note in the navigation pane, you have an option to "set as default template." To remove a template from a section, right click on the section in the navigation pane and choose "remove default template."

I've found a few other items that seem to have been added or will be added but aren't updated here on Uservoice. Another example, just read on the Verge that dark mode is coming soon, but the request on Uservoice isn't updated with that data.

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised by the tone-deaf nature of this forced shift to an inferior version of what was once Microsoft's best (by a wide margin) product. I know I'm just one person, but it's time to completely give myself over to the Open Source gods. Templates were huge for me.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LOOK, the templates allow you to format a OneNote page for direct use as a web page. This is a key feature for web page developers. You can mock up a web page in OneNote and then transfer it directly to an html formatted web page. You are crazy to not have this feature available and it will make me rethink using any Microsoft Office product in the future.

I agree that we need the templates feature. It should be obvious to the developers why it is essential.

Give us templates please! I still do not understand why this wasn’t already included.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring templates back. While I can somewhat accept this at home, the impact at work is really bad. What do we do when OneNote 2016 goes away? Look for another solution? Office 365 is not worth the cost without OneNote 2016 at this point.

• Mr Good commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a teacher in charge of 800 students using onenote in classes. templates are the key to productivity for my teachers. It's in 2016, now just transition it into the App. (and also File Printout too).

• Jaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As someone who does Tech Support I have several templates that I regularly use in OneNote 2016 and I am now heartbroken to learn that templates are not part of OneNote for Windows. MUST HAVE! Please add templates to OneNote for Windows!

• Michael Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include margins and rule lines in addition to all the other template features as they were present in OneNote 2016.

• Jeff Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this functionality soon! I've had several users ask me for this recently as we start to introduce this version since the OneNote 2016 is being deprecated. THANKS!!!!

• Jake Dovey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use templates all the time, they are one of the best features of the OneNote 2016 (although they aren't implemented very well). You have promised feature parity in the UWP version, this feature must be a priority.

Make the app the full version like 2016 and 2010. It was an excellent program, why downgrade it.

Just moving all our users to O365 from Office 2016, OMG, why is the Page Templates function not included in OneNote 365/UWP? Such a massive productivity gap for a large group of us. Please include this functionality as soon as possible. We are now having to deploy OneNote 2013 as I can't find a standalone OneNote 2016. Tried a custom install of Office 2016 for just OneNote 2016, however will not install with O365 deployed.

• Commander Laniakea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

specifically creating your own templates is huge for productivity.

customization in general is a weak point for the onenote uwp version. where are different color options for rule lines?
    there are no options to control pdf imports either. what if I want side by side pages, not a single long dropdown?
    I just hope this app gets the support it needs so I can use my surface properly for lectures

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly the problem is not the lack of templates in OneNote UWP - the problem IS OneNote UWP. Microwoft need to continue to support and develop the proper desktop version of OneNote, i.e. OneNote 2016, which already has this and other advanced features.

Templates would be an enourmous efficiency improvement. What is the current status of that?

I work in VERY large teams. Templates are ESSENTIAL to use OneNote to organise. This is a HUGE issue.

• David Zeller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd been away from OneNote for a while. Came back and was shocked at changes like this. Was also going to use it on an Android device, and the functionality is horrible compared to other platforms. Isn't MS all about the cloud, services, and giving people products no matter what platform they're on now? It looks like they're not even doing it with their Windows customers when they make moves like this. (Sorry, frustrated that with what I've learned today.)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base