How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Templates in UWP

If you're going to remove OneNote from Office 2019 and recommend people use the less full featured OneNote UWP app...you need to add pageTemplates from OneNote 2016/365 to the UWP app.

All functionality for Page Templates,
Creating a template
Saving a template
Using a Template as default for a note section

779 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Wildes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly the problem is not the lack of templates in OneNote UWP - the problem IS OneNote UWP. Microwoft need to continue to support and develop the proper desktop version of OneNote, i.e. OneNote 2016, which already has this and other advanced features.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Templates would be an enourmous efficiency improvement. What is the current status of that?

I work in VERY large teams. Templates are ESSENTIAL to use OneNote to organise. This is a HUGE issue.

• David Zeller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd been away from OneNote for a while. Came back and was shocked at changes like this. Was also going to use it on an Android device, and the functionality is horrible compared to other platforms. Isn't MS all about the cloud, services, and giving people products no matter what platform they're on now? It looks like they're not even doing it with their Windows customers when they make moves like this. (Sorry, frustrated that with what I've learned today.)

• Samuel Blowes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Templates are one of the best features. If OneNote 2016 is going to be forced away from us, please at least get the UWP app close to feature parity. Thank you!

PLEASE reintroduce templates! I love the look and feel of the new app but I absolutely rely on templates.

Must have templates! I love my OneNote, but templates are critical!!! Don't take them away!

agree with all the comments here.. lets be clear - everytime MS lets down its core base, we have to go elsewhere.. I use templates,( because its very effective when part of a team approach - why introduce TEAMS if you drop a team functionality from a brilliant app?) If this was part of the sharepoint/notebook for a team/project - and there is a way to design a team template - minutes/agendas - linked to outlook etc.. it just works .. SO , PLEASE confirm it is going to happen - not just say" you can use 2016 "! ( which is good , but lets have a true replacement)

• PeterKF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And please allow templates to be saved to a users OneDrive account online.
        This would be useful for all Office programs, but especially for the Windows 10 version of OneNote. Requiring that templates be saved locally is inconvenient since they must be saved to each device that is used, with the ensuing risk of inconsistencies arising. And of course, sometimes I want to create a standard new page on a non-Windows device ...

OneNote is a great product, but templates are a big part of it for me.

We are using OneNote for project collaboration. Templates for open item list, minutes, status reports are a must have. Please include in actual OneNote version.

• Chad Dukes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. For now I have to create the template in 2016 Desktop, create a section with nothing but page templates, and then copy the page to my new section. Very inefficient - and, imo, a fail for one of the primary goals for the OneNote team (increased efficiency)

• Chris Conley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bonus points if you can setup templates to be automatically used when creating a OneNote Page from an Outlook Meeting. (UWP OneNote needs to be integrated with Outlook first, though.)

I have sold Onenote 2016 as a default program to my entire team and it is part of our shared meeting-software now. However - this depends fully on having templates.
        Will these be back and when?

• ko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along the same lines, renaming a template would also be a nice

• Plymouth Sid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh dear!

There seems to be an underlying policy ~ Do NOT support the functionality of "legacy" apps by wrecking them

Bah!

Specifically, a number of my "notes" are based upon various templates (generated specifically, in the main, to aid printing on A4. I now need to remove the underlying template and I cannot do so !

bah ! Again

Plymouth Sid

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base