How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

2,303 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RCP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

420 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows OneNote does not have the feature set of OneNote 2016 Desktop version. Windows OneNote has sync issues. In addition, Windows OneNote does support Onetastic which is a great add-in app for OneNote 2016. Please reinstate support for OneNote Desktop version. Why Microsoft made the decision to no longer support the OneNote Deskop is baffling.

I am investing heavily in using OneNote for Desktop to organize all of my information. I will be very unhappy if I face an end-of-life situation with the product. There will be no easy way to migrate five years plus worth of information or contents to another product.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really love the tabbed view with the slim page list on the right-hand-side. The Win10 versoin doesn't allow to view many pages on-screen at once. The tabbed view is so much nicer on desktop. Please add this as a view on the Win10 version

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish I could flag admin's responses as disingenuous. Onenote 2016 is not perfect. It needs fixing. It's also got all the features that make it worth the hassle. You've gotten rid of the vast majority of these features. And now we're forced to wait until enough people vote for each feature we once had to hopefully reach an acceptable level of outrage for the OneNote team to deem worthy of support. It's insulting.

• John S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be clear I am heavily invested in the private Notebooks that are stored on my local hard drive. I don't want those Notebooks to be in the cloud. I am extremely dissatisfied that support for desktop OneNote and so the local files will be phased out in 2020 - 2025.

Microsoft develops a software with features that users trust and become heavily reliant on. Then Microsoft cripples and compromises it and essentially tells users we decided users don't want to enjoy the privacy of storing sensitive files on private local devices. Ridiculous. Files in 'The Cloud', aka your servers, are only safe, private and secure until they are hacked en masse by a compromise. Sure there are files I am okay with storing in the cloud for easy access but not all. Microsoft's assertion that they understand some user like me prefer not to store files in the cloud and should look for an alternative is infuriating! I have been a OneNote user and advocate since it was released for a reason. It was the best note taking software available... was! Now I, along with many of my clients I have convinced to use OneNote, are betrayed.

Keep supporting a desktop version of OneNote with local file storage.

To be clear, we cannot use OneNote 2016 for as long as we like. Support for OneNote ends in October 2020 for mainstream support, and 2025 for extended support.

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you not understand OneNote Team that OneNote for Windows 10 DOES NOT HAVE the features we require in order to continue to use the product? If you do not add these features to the Windows 10 App, we are not going to use it. Is that what you want?

• AlejoL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nope.. Tried the UWP and definitley not going for it... Why kill something good?

Keep OneNote 2019 a fundamental part of Office! I DO NOT WANT to be forced to keep my workbooks in the cloud.

• Robin Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 4 most commonly used items for me - are not available in the Win 10 version:

1) Create Outlook Tasks in your notes
        2) Pin your favorite commands to the Quick Access Toolbar
        3) Apply a template to pages to maintain a specific look or layout
        4) Link your notes to webpages in Internet Explorer and Office files

• Bryan Kurz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By moving to OneNote for Windows or Mac away from all rich features in OneNote 2016. Most importantly the ability to keep my notes on my local machine where I can work offline when I dont have network connectivity. You are by default taking away my ability to be fully productive when I travel to places where there is not network access. Plus, I would love the ability to designate my own "cloud" storage option (such as my own corporate network) to keep my OneNote files. This is taking a fantastic note taking application and downgrading it to something much less than what it was.

• Melissa Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote for Win10 is a cut down version of OneNote Pro Plus. Being an long time user of OneNote and even provided instruction to other users has change is a horrible option and not an advancement in technology I would have expected out of Microsoft. I know the desire is to force everyone into Teams which provides this version of OneNote but there is a reason that users are not "taking advantage" of Teams, the application is not what the users need. They need the connections into Outlook to take notes for meetings, the want to be able to have excel embedded into OneNote pages for sorting lists and SUM. They want to have the most usable viewing spaces with tabs at the top and want to be able to have sub sections for organisation. I love how you say "OneNote 2016 is not going away"... You are missing the point.... Myself and others want to keep the existing features in new versions and have even more options. Not a dumped down version of what was a very powerful software.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft really needs to provide clarity for their future direction of offline support. I could envision a future where the backend OneNote API changes which makes OneNote 2016 unable to interact with the online service (with no plans to patch since it would be out of primary support) which means you could either use offline notes OR online notes, but not both at the same time like it is now.

• MIke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another angry customer here. One Note is actually my most used piece of software - my whole life is in there - Work, Home, Courses etc. and this ON10 / UWP version is complete shite. The location of the notebook/page/tabs navigation is the worst part. It's fine for Android- but not for Desktop.

Change this back please - or for the love of God give us the choice option of where it goes!! Otherwise I will probably be cancelling my O365 subscription.

• Chris Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The more I use ON10 the more I want to just stab myself in the face with my surface pencil. So many missing features it's not even funny. Going from what I would consider an above average user of ON to the ON10 setup is just out of control.

• Patrick Malone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do bring back the full featured OneNote. It is really missed. The new version is missing so many features. I want the features in Windows and, preferably, for my Android!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base