How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

2,559 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RCP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

450 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Luke Mc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 version of OneNote is so vastly inferior to OneNote 2016 it makes me want to switch to all google products out of spite.

• Jeroen Landheer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"To be clear, OneNote 2016 is not going away, and you can use it as long as you’d like." ...

Yes, it IS going away at some point. All software that isn't getting updates gets eventually at the end of it's lifecycle and becomes unsupported. It has happened to MANY office versions in the past, OneNote 2016 is no different.

The only way to keep OneNote for desktop supported is to keep developing new versions for it.

• Vaibhav Haldavnekar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that the last official response on this thread has been on June 25 of last year, from the geniuses in the product development of ON, tells me that this is a low hanging fruit for MS and Mr Cleanjit Nadela and that they do not care about customers.

I like the idea of Microsoft releasing it for developers to work on it, while retaining the basic yet advanced functions of Desktop version of ON that is lacking in the mutant called ONW. Microsoft released some patents to prevent online predatory practices, and perhaps should include this software, if it has to spend significant resources for its development to continue to make business case to its bean counters.

• Sid Plymouth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Timothy Carroll, March 30 2019 6:23 is Spot on. It is very easy to see from his comments that he is as bemused as I am about the direction of travel that Microsoft seems to have taken.

• Timothy Carroll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I pay for Office. Because I pay for Office I expect Office to have more features, not less. Removign OneNote means less features. OneNote for Windows 10, even in the best case, has less features, most notably the inability to store local notes. I'm a paying premium customer. OneNote for Windows is "free" product essentially as it's just the Windows version of the mobile app available for Android, IPhone, and Mac. No matter how you spin it, you are removing functionality from the Office suite, which is one of Microsoft's biggest cash cows and you are ******* off the Office customer base. OneNote 2016 was and still is (despite lack of development over 3+ years) the premier note taking app. There is nothing close to it. OneNote for Windows 10 is much closer to EverNote. It's okay, but it's not anywhere close to OneNote 2016.

This whole thing is a debacle of Windows ME or Windows Vista proportions. Admit your mistake, and continue development on OneNote 2016. You can position this as a OneNote and "OneNote Premium" type of marketing, because that's what it is. You are not replacing Excel 2019 with the stripped down free mobile version of Excel, are you? No, because that would be a ridiculous boneheaded move that would cause mass cancellations to Office 365. Well, if you keep this up, you might find cancellations in your future. OneNote may not quite have the usage footprint of Excel, but you are certainly seeing the loyalty come out since 2019 was released and people are discovering their favorite app is mysteriously missing and there are only confusing blog posts with marketing hype around Windows 10 OneNote being "better" (a flat-out lie) in its wake, along with a download link to OneNote 2016, further proving the lie because if the Win10 OneNote was better, why would there even be a NEED for the 2016 download?

• Mehmet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please improve OneNote 2016 to the level of the rest of the Office programs like Word /Outlook etc.
    Builtin OneNote for Windows 10 is not viable.

• Brenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You got your summary wrong, what we are all saying is that the version of OneNote on Windows 10 is an inferior product to the full scale OneNote on Office 2016. We want you to ditch the “desktop version” that’s incorporated into Windows and make an Office 2019 version that builds upon on what 2016 is and includes improvements such as being able to indent the first line of a paragraph and be able to work when offline, let’s say on an airplane, which is a basic functionality of any business oriented software.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not fond of the Windows 10 version, too many features missing and ease of use is not the same. Please continue to develop 2016 and include with 2019 version of Office. I get the tablet formatting and why. For the desktop, not as good as it was before.

• Kathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used Onenote for a long time and it meets my needs. I do not always have access to internet so I must have the desktop version. Please don't make me have to switch programs and move all these notes and learn something all new. If something isn't broke don't fix it. Thank you.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, when the company installs my workstation...how can I install onenote 2016? They are installing 2019 for instance. Then...what? Can I download a 2016 version? Is the installer going to work or do I get...we are sorry, a problem occured...doesnt fit to office version installed...or...a newer Version of Onenote already installed. I can tell you now, it is going to be a mess.
    So, I am forced to use the new interface (which I won't, by the way)...and loosing one of the best pieces of software out there...
    You know, not everyone can install what he wants...and if you make a major change to a good piece of software, especially making the interface worse...it's very unlikely to earn trust in your procucts. Lost already a bunch of it...win_Phone, shut down when it finally started to get useful and companies started to switch to it, MS-Money - lost years of moneysheet protocols, Project for mac...expensive as **** and suddenly discontinued...and so on. And now "killing" this beautiful interface...sorry, but that's nonsense. But maybe you listen up and integrate a classic interface permanently...that would be a fix!

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want to keep the actual desktop interface, and ensuring me that I can "keep" the 2016 version isn't enough for me. I really would like to keep the interface, that is just perfect. The new interface "moves" notes around when you change the notebooks, all on the left side is just not good to keep an overview! I would be quite happy to hear, that we can switch to a "Desktop mode" - to keep the classic interface, which is just perfect! Why change this interface? Not everyone uses a tablet, where it makes sense, but for desktop use it's just - sorry to say that - ****. Give me the classic interface and I am silent ;)

• Mike G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried using the Windows 10 UWP version of OneNote for a couple months, but finally gave up and went back to OneNote 2016. OneNote 2016 has superior controls and font-scaling, allows useful macros (Onetastic user here) and, as the OP said, the 2016 layout is significantly better on the desktop which is where I use OneNote 80-90% of the time. I also have zero use for "exciting new features" like inking in the UWP app version. I understand these features and the layout are designed more for mobile and convertible devices. And I do use OneNote on my phone and tablet, but far less frequently and mainly for viewing, clipping or quick notes--not for composing.

It seems Microsoft management is making the same disastrous mistake it made with Windows 8: Trying for force a touch/mobile-centric design on over a billion desktop users. They have also left many of us with one less reason to purchase an Office 365 subscription. Bring OneNote back into the mainstream for desktop users with an actively developed OneNote 2019!

• NotReallyAonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't just want OneNote 2016 - I want ALL the functionality it has to continue to be developed.

The 'app' version of OneNote - is a NIGHTMARE of usability for those of us who have used OneNote for years. The endless missing features, the increase in the number of clicks necessary to do things (if you can even do them).

The real full application needs to be continued until the new version is feature compatible, and as usable as the primary app.

• Jan Einar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using OneNote for documenting my various projects for years, including maintenance work and ongoing dialogs with various partners etc. It is absolutely a perfect system for me to use, especially with combination om DropBox / OneDrive, where my team members also may share their, comments, screen shots, pdf files, printouts...

When I got my new pc, it only had the OWP version, at suddenly, all my documentations was gone. Not able to open / read or edit my notes. Got it back when Re-installed the old OneNote 2016, but do not look forward to tell all my clients and customers to do the same...
    Guess I am forced to use another system. DropBox Paper offers some of the the same features, and looks promising to me...

• Eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I would like to add my irritation with apparently the rest of the world concerning the universal app. You are forcing a decision point with these changes, where I have to ask myself whether or not I can depend on this application in the long term. Removing the option to store notebooks locally makes absolutely no sense. That one "upgrade" is enough to break the deal for me. And, you're really going to mess things up on the job with that "little" change. It's hard enough to get people to collaborate and now it looks like you're going to come right along and provide all the excuses anyone would need to not share and work together as a team. Promoting migration to an application with LESS features makes absolutely no sense. I consider myself a reasonably imaginative thinker but I cannot conjure ONE GOOD REASON why in the world you would remove features people use with a NEW distribution of a piece of software. Has it been that long since you guys were in college??? It irritates me that you guys keep working on goggles to make people feel like they're in a different world yet you seem to be struggling with productivity software for adults. That's not cool. You don't get to play with your goggles until you have finished your chores with your productivity software. (You know, one of like the three big things that brought you enough success to care about VR goggles). Please keep the software at least as functional as it was in 2016, and give us all a break and let us put our data where we need to put it. Thank you.

• Jordan Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, New Microsoft. You're doing your best to kill an incredibly useful product to prop up an incredibly weak alternative. Onenote UWP is nowhere near an acceptable substitute for desktop Onenote. This kind of idiocy only makes it clear that we need to stop considering Microsoft solutions for ... anything.

• JBaloo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE reconsider this strategy. I am actively trying to warm up to the UWP version but I keep going back to OneNote 2016. The feature set of the UWP version is still far too limited, navigation within the app is awkward, and the interaction with other Office 2016 applications is painfully lacking, glitchy, and frustrating.

I use OneNote 2016 extensively in my daily routines. My team uses OneNote 2016 extensively in their daily routines. Teams throughout the company I work for use OneNote 2016 extensively in their daily routines. If it is not included in Office 2019 and we are "forced" to move to the UWP version, in its current state, we will undoubtedly find an alternate solution. The UWP version simply does not currently and most likely will not meet our needs.

This is a horrible strategy and should be reconsidered.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without local file support for OneNote, anyone with sensitive data is not going to want it in the cloud. So we have to migrate everything to another program like Evernote so we can choose what to sync and what to keep securely on our desktop.

I've been using onenote for over 10 years and office since at least 1994.

I don't need power functions in office apps, I use the general stuff everyone has.

Because of OneNote losing local storage soon, I'll have to move to Evernote and Google Apps.

But I won't need to pay for office anymore, which I would keep if you didn't cripple OneNote and force files to be kept in the cloud.

Another once loyal user moving away from Office.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

Feedback and Knowledge Base