How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Allow collapsing of multiple levels of sub-pages

Would be great if we could have the ability to collapse pages like this:

Suppose we have a section for a course, say MATH.

MATH (collapsible)
Module 1 (Collapsible)
Module 2 (Collapsible)
(etc etc)

Right now, only the first level (MATH) is collapsible.

Thanks!

681 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabrice shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

97 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially do this on the app, as it's unusable with the long list of every page you have to scroll through!

• Nope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most reductions thing. Get your stuff together, MS. Serve your customers!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can this not be a feature yet? Would be very easy to implement and it is extremely limiting to not be able to collapse multiple levels och sub-pages. To me this simple feature would make the whole difference between chaos and order. Please don't neglect this request!!

100% need this- I have a daily meeting and I want to have them all in a Tab on separate pages, but "archive" the older ones by collapsing them away so I can only see the latest ones. Seems such a simple feature!

I have recently started using one-note and this has very quickly become the main limitations of using the software. Looking around the forums it has been ask for by numerous users for many years but seemingly ignored by Microsoft. It cant be that hard to program surely?

Listen to your customers Microsoft.

Is this such a difficult to do change?
        It would be amazing to have this feature.

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the desktop app on windows machine select two or more subpages at the same time using (Shift + click) or (Ctrl + click) then right click and Collapse Subpages option appears on the list.

• Cocoliso Osilococ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the point on not allowing this? its not hard to program at all and wont affect? and on the ther hand would be super useful

• Cujo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability to group sub pages on-line is a real let down for the product and makes it almost un-usable.

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really bothers me to the point where I'm considering switching off Onenote. I use several levels of subpages and this half-hearted implementation makes it difficult to treat this application seriously.

After the first level they aren't even true subpages because Onenote doesn't treat them as a group. In reality these "subpages" are just a graphical indentation, and not even a good one. Taking a glance down one of my sections, I can barely distinguish which second level subpages are slightly indented.

The worst part is how Microsoft is EOLing the desktop version which has perfectly reasonable nesting use. I'm tempted to go throw whatever ridiculous amount of money Evernote is charging these days just to have a decent note collecting system.

This would be very useful indeed for me; it would increase the "nestability" of onenote and I could use it for even more.

• Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since you can collape multiple levels in Word, why can it not be done in OneNote? This is a very useful program with a very serious lack of basic functionality.

I have pages with subpages and then those subpages have their own subpages. Basically 3 levels instead of the 2 levels shown in your example. I need to collapse and expand each group of subpages individually.

Top Page 1
        subpage 1.1
        subpage 1.1.1
        subpage 1.1.2

subpage 1.2
        subpage 1.2.1
        subpage 1.2.2
        subpage 1.2.3

Top Page 2
        subpage 2.1
        subpage 2.1.1
        subpage 2.1.2

subpage 2.2
        subpage 2.2.1
        subpage 2.2.2
        subpage 2.2.3

Also, not sure if it's of help to anyone, but FYI you can create 'section groups' which can basically work as a subsection. Might help to organize with subpages (perhaps). Definitely helped with my problem

This really bothers me. I never realized how badly I needed this until I saw this thread, but now I have seen the light. Please, Microsoft, we need these collapsible subpages!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base