How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Add "Take a Picture from Camera" functionality on OneNote

OneNote is a wonderful way of taking notes, including personal Notes. It's almost like a journal.

I'd love it if I could take photos of myself or others directly from my camera or web cam while making a personal entry in my notes.

Thank you in advance!

646 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminOneNote Team (User Researcher, OneNote Team) responded  · 

We are pleased to let you know that Inserting a Picture from Camera is already available. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use. You can find this in the Insert ribbon tab under the Pictures menu with the button labelled “From Camera”.

Please read the following article for more information :
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-a-picture-to-a-page-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-bbdebae3-eb58-4923-b627-e4db3dace5ab

164 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Locke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a surface pro 4 and 6. Both logged into my yearly renewing office 365 account. Both downloaded office and installed from the "download full version" however My 4 can import pictures through the camera, but the much newer 6 cannot. They seems to have different layouts too. Frustrating as heck Microsoft!

• DN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for for OSX coupled with iOS, it cannot work the same as with MS Word.
    In word for OSX, the user is able to import from the camera of an iOS device. However this cannot be done using OneNote for osx

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add to the PC version - in fact i think it used to have it. Feels very backward to take a photo, save it to folder and then have to navigate to the folder!

• Thamara Laredo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MICROSOFT: Please add this feature to the PC desktop version of OneNote2016. If you are really using user feedback to improve your products, this thread shows some pretty concise and specific feedback.

• Junaid Syed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not good to deceive the people. It in not available on OneNote "Desktop" version, in any case, paid or free.

When people are claiming it is not available then they definitely asking about "Desktop" version, because otherwise it is obviously available and there is no need to ask these type of questions. Shame on Microsoft support they deliberately trying to deceive the people.

• hktomato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed it's weird that my installed OneNote under paid version of Office365 is missing the feature of inserting pictures from camera. The demo video in your link shows a "Free" version of OneNote. It can't be found in the "Paid" version. Would appreciate for an explanation or ways to fix this handicap. Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My screen remains dark and the camera won't turn on for the "insert picture" in Onenote. I've gone through the privacy settings and everything. This is irritating.

Inserting picture from camera is NOT available for the OneNote 2016 Version of the Office Suite. I don't understand why this feature is available in the free OneNote Version and the one I pay for with my Office 365 doesn't have this included. Also the Mathematics Add-On is missing in the OneNote 2016 version. It seems like I'm paying to get less???!!!

I will add my voice to the fact that the option to insert from camera does not appear in OneNote 2016 (Desktop) on the PC, but it does show up in the OneNote app from the Windows Store. Can we integrate it into the 2016 desktop app as well please?

• rob greene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Onenote on my android device has 'Picture' under the Insert tab and it is Grey'ed out. Saying this is complete shows what a total waste of time Microsoft tech support is. Instead of solving problems, they list things complete in order to clear their workload. It also indicates that Microsoft does not care, or they would be monitoring stuff like this.

• Jens Pursche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As so many here have mentioned. Why is it that OS has a camera option in one note to take quick pictures yet the surface a Microsoft product has not. Is Microsoft not wanting to sell their products to students who is it in class?

• SAP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why there is no zoom option while inserting pictures from camera in oneNote? This feature is available in the iOS version of onenote! Just for this reason I don't use oneNote.

• Maurice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is NOT completed; I cannot take a picture with my camera from OneNote. I can add a video, but not a picture. Crazy. I am using the "desktop" version of OneNote, but on a tablet (a DELL latitude 5825), so it would be really very very useful to have this ability.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base