OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please fix OneNote freezes/hangs(Not responding) while sync

Please fix OneNote freezes(Not responding)
    We have a shared one note document. OneNnote will hang for all users while one user is adding/editing the shared document.
    This is such basic requirement(to not hang the UI for all users) how you guys can expect from us new ideas while the most basic requirement like this is not met?

9 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • OneNote prints double Euro signs (€€)

When hitting ALT+E (Euro symbol on German keyboard) then two Euro signs (€€) are printed instead of one. The problem appears only in the Desktop OneNote app shipped with Windows 10.

4 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are closing this as our Uservoice forums are reserved for sharing ideas on how to improve OneNote.

I have taken a look at this and using a German keyboard layout, pressing the right Alt + E only prints a single Euro sign. This was tested in both OneNote for Windows 10 and OneNote 2016.

For issues and support with our product, please refer to the OneNote Answers forum:
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote.
        -The OneNote Team

• New Ruler Bug

(i posted this at (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10-mso_365hp/onenote-ruler-bug-sometimes-does-not-recognize-pen/fc815779-4835-4b86-9b0e-42ed82e60862?tm=1520093476327)
        originally but then was asked to post it here.

Dear MS-Team,

I have the problem, that the new ruler function in onenote ist sill a little buggy. Depending on the angle of the ruler, Onenote sometimes won´t recognize the pen anymore and won´t draw a line. This happens only if the ruler is held in diagonal angles.

This Problem does NOT occur when:

The ruler is 90 degrees or 0 degrees.
        The ruler is held with one finger only (which does not feel natural)
        Other apps like Scratchpad or Ink which already had…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • BUG: Not Able To Sort Sections By Dragging & Dropping

Recently when I drag and drop a section to manually sort the section doesn't stay where I drop it. I opened a case and was told that it is a bug and I should use the OneNote Suggestion Portal to seek help is getting the bug addressed. Please help!

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make it possible to delete a font like Segoe UI Emoji

I use some special characters like Alt + 11 ♂ and Alt + 12 ♀ a lot, and they turn into ugly emojis. Not all special characters change. For example when I use Alt + 175 » I don't get an emoji. I don't use emojis so it would be nice if this font could be deleted.

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Your request is out of the scope of OneNote but definitely possible. If you don’t want a particular font on your system, you are free to delete it yourself from C:\Windows\Fonts.

You can do this at your own risk as there might be some apps that actually need this font.

Best regards
              -The OneNote Team

• 1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

The best place to get support for this is the OneNote area of Answers.microsoft.com. We’ve got folks over there who can help with questions like this, and we’re trying to keep the UserVoice site for new product ideas.

You have referenced this Forum thread and this is where the product group monitors bugs.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-2016-freezesnot-responding-very-frequently/7f6ca940-eae4-4ac4-92dd-803c892135ac

• Remove print header / footer

I would love to see an option under the print options that allows you to uncheck print header and or footer. So when you print to PDF your page is cleaned up.

11 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Eric,

OneNote for Windows 10 does not add Headers & Footers to pages you print. This is likely coming from the OS or Printer Options.

I am closing this post as it is not actionable from our end.

Thank you for posting on our forums and helping us improve OneNote for everyone.

-The OneNote Team

• Add a tab for all most recent notebooks viewed, to remind oneself of thought processes, and assist in following through

Within the History tab , the edits can be viewed, but sometimes I only skim an article with intention of returning to it. But when I do this frequently, inevitably some stuff will be forgotten. But to add a more straightforward tab for ALL receently viewed notebooks across the application would assist in following through ideas and thought processes to help with and speed up work on essays and any project. .

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback.

In OneNote for Windows 10, we do show you the notebooks in a Most-Recently-Used ordering, when you click the More Notebooks button in the Notebooks panel. This behavior should also be consistent in OneNote 2016.

I hope this helps.

• Add the ability to create textboxes in onenote like the one used in word

The textbox in microsoft word is really easy: just go to insert and text box and you have box to write on. However, in onenote, there is no text box so please add one.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Yusuf,

Thank you for your feedback.

In OneNote, we do have “textboxes” and we refer to them as “Note containers”. Typically you could click anywhere on the page and just start typing. A note container will automatically be created for you at the location where you clicked.

I hope this helps.

• link

Links to files in Windows App - these don't seem to work. I get the "Sorry we couldn't open the notes you were looking for" message. But the same link in the same note works in Onenote 2016. It's really useful...

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We are closing this as our Uservoice forums are reserved for sharing ideas on how to improve OneNote.

For issues and support with our product, please refer to the OneNote Answers forum:

I have also attempted to reproduce the issue but was unable to. Perhaps this has been resolved in the mean time? If not, please feel more than welcome to post on our answers forum (link above).

-The OneNote Team

• highlighting issue in OneNote 2016

I just updated whatever fall creators update on my surface pro 4. now, when i select the highlighter tool and click down on where i want to highlight, the ppt or pdf printout disappears until i release the mouse. is this happening to anyone else?

changing highlighter color doesn't fix it. i also updated and that didn't fix it either. why is this problem even possible when microsoft is in charge of both the hardware and software.

this problem is not happening on my custom desktop PC's OneNote 2016 w/ the same notebooks

4 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

I have also looked at this issue and wasn’t able to reproduce it on OneNote for Windows 10 or OneNote 2016 while running on Windows 10 build 16299.214.

-The OneNote Team

• don't install OneNote Office 2016

I wish I could only install Office features I use. Especially The OneNote printer keeps getting installed as default and causes me issues. Can't permanently get rid of it. Very annoying

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• No digital ruler (Surface Pro 4 @ Version 17.8827.20991.0)

As of today the Onenote-App Version running on my Surface Pro 4 still has no digital ruler function although according to Microsoft it should be useable now: https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone
                            A friend of mine got it at launch date running the same(!) Onenote Version as I am. Is there any way of updating my Onenote-App? I already tried reinstalling it which only forced me to set everything up again, including all pens...

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for adding this. The virtual ruler is being made available to customers on a gradual basis as stated in this announcement.
                              https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral
                              Because it is being rolled out gradually, you may have the new build installed (December 2017 feature update (Version 17.8827.2055), and yet don’t have the ruler. You will know that it has been rolled out to when you see it described in the What’s New dialog.
                              This feature uses special capabilities on Windows 10, and as such is only available on that platform.

• fix Version 17.8730.20741.0 buggy ****

so been using one note for ages and latest version I have is absolutely broken - keep getting a mesage about the PDF file I am trying to load bing corrupt. The only corrupt thing is your software.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• [BUG] 32-bit click-2-run installs wrong version of search filter ONFILTER.DLL on 64-bit o/s

As documented on answer.microsoft.com:
                                https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-2016-index-location-unavailable-search/d78e7999-511f-4f78-b0ad-3d2711f08435
                                Click2Run has been installing the wrong version of onfilter.dll for some time now, for anyone installing 32bit OneNote on 64-bit windows. The installer is putting the 32-bit version (filesize 395,464 bytes) in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX64\Microsoft Office\Office16 where the 64-bit version is required (file size 464,072 bytes) Both refer to 0365 16.0.8229.2045. Manually installing the correct version gets undone regularly by C2R maintenance jobs.
                                Consequence of installer bug is that Windows cannot index / update index for OneNote content, resulting in slow searches from within OneNote.
                                It would be great if you could…

8 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

From what I see in the comments, it looks like the problem was resolved. I also took the time to check whether the expected ONFILTER.DLL was found in the location pointed out in the description. In my C2R installation I had the 64 bit version. Moreover, I did not see any slowness in search when using OneNote 2016.

Should you still have any problems please feel free to report them on our Answers forum in the link above.

-The OneNote Team

• 1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• 4 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

We are closing this as it is not very actionable.

Please feel free to post specific ideas on what feature you desire. Try to give us as many details as possible so we can better understand how to answer our users’ needs.

-The OneNote Team

• [BUG] OneNote 2016 (Windows 7) scroll function does not work in sidebar / page tab

OneNote 2016 has a persistent scroll problem in page tab within a Windows 7 environment.

Anonymous 'user1306322' has a created an animation to illustrate this bug: https://i.stack.imgur.com/gAlbW.gif

This issue has also been discussed on the Answers platform of MS:
                                      https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_winother-mso_2016/onenote-2016-suddenly-cant-scroll-in-the-sidebar/08eb21e6-73a1-448f-ba86-9e50e29fbad3

8 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Text is sometimes invisible when I am typing into an existing note

Very often (2 or 3 times per day), when I change the focus from any app such as Explorer or Outlook, to OneNote, and start typing into an existing note, everything I type is invisible -- that is, the display does not reflect anything that I type. However, if I click on a different OneNote tab, and then go back to the tab I was in, then all of my text appears just as if I had typed it normally.
                                        I upgraded my machine to Windows 10 (from Windows 7) and from Office 365 Small Business to Office 365 Business…

8 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For issues and support with our product, please refer to the OneNote Answers forum.

In this case the issue was already opened on this link:
                                          https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-making-my-text-invisible/1be7a7bb-4c64-48d7-a5be-7930251ec8be

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10.
                                          -The OneNote Team

• OneNote Importer For Windows does not work for me

OneNote Importer For Windows does not work for me.
                                          I have a Corporate OneNote account and am entering my correct corporate Microsoft credentials to import Windows Evernote. However, after selecting the items I wish to import the Importer comes back with: ":( We Can't import your content. We can't access your account. Please try again later. Drror Code: 30108"

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

The best place to get support for this is the OneNote area of Answers.microsoft.com – specifically the Office OneNote area

For this particular topic, there is a thread in the Community Forum on this topic —

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_other-mso_archive/onenote-importer-error-30108/6adf3165-90ac-4f42-9c45-3ff048363329

We’ve got folks over there who can help with questions like this, and we’re trying to keep the UserVoice site for new product ideas.

Thanks for participating

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base