OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

3,121 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

525 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Either make the Windows 10 version feature rich, or abandon it in favor of continuing OneNote 2016

There seems to be indecision and lack of direction when it comes to OneNote. Are there two different teams developing it? Has development stalled?

There are several features in OneNote 2016 that are not available in the Windows 10 UWA version. The most major one being the ability to searching image text converted by OCR. Please decide which product you want to succeed.

I personally have tried using the Windows 10 version for several months and had to abandon it in favor of the 2016 version.

1,824 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

125 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Local vs Cloud Storage

Having OneDrive integrated with OneNote is definitely a plus, but it would be nice to also have it saved locally for when an Internet connection is unavailable.

1,416 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

221 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. "Night mode" - white text, black background

It would be great if it was possible to change the appearance of OneNote to have white or green text on a black background. I find this much easier to read on both desktop and mobile. The current selection of templates and page colours are too limiting and rarely, if ever, used by me.

1,356 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

209 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add "Take a Picture from Camera" functionality on OneNote

OneNote is a wonderful way of taking notes, including personal Notes. It's almost like a journal.

I'd love it if I could take photos of myself or others directly from my camera or web cam while making a personal entry in my notes.

Thank you in advance!

646 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

168 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Inserting a Picture from Camera is already available. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use. You can find this in the Insert ribbon tab under the Pictures menu with the button labelled “From Camera”.

Please read the following article for more information :
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-a-picture-to-a-page-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-bbdebae3-eb58-4923-b627-e4db3dace5ab

6. OneNote needs a Shape recognition mode

While you are in this mode, you can draw a jiggery circle and OneNote converts it into a perfect round circle. Same for an axis or any kind of form that you can draw, it would tremendously help in Mathematics or Physics.
    Competitors (which I won't name here) already have this feature. I've been using OneNote around 2 years in school now and this feature would really make OneNote so much better.

371 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re excited to announce that Ink Shape Recognition is coming to OneNote this November on Windows 10, iPad, and iPad Pro. Ink Shape Recognition is a new mode that will automatically convert your hand-drawn shapes into perfect-looking shapes while inking. It recognizes over a dozen shapes including basics like circles, triangles and squares, as well as more complex shapes like quadrilaterals, pentagons and hexagons.

For more details, please check out this blog post: https://blogs.office.com/2015/10/20/onenote-partners-with-fiftythree-to-support-pencil-and-paper-plus-shape-recognition-coming-soon/

7. Import notes from Evernote

Vote for this if you want a tool for importing existing notes from Evernote to OneNote.

365 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We heard your feedback and we have some great news to share with you. Today, we are launching a new tool to migrate your Evernote notes to OneNote. The OneNote Importer (Preview) automatically migrates all your notes from Evernote and quickly gets you started with OneNote. Use the OneNote Importer to seamlessly make the switch from Evernote to OneNote. Follow the announcement at this blog: https://blogs.office.com/2016/03/11/make-the-move-from-evernote-to-onenote-today/

For support issues, please got to answers.microsoft.com.

8. Include the feature from OneNote 2016 to make customizable tags

Customizable tags is a feature my business can NOT live without. This is the only thing that keeps us from switching to OneNote (from OneNote 2016)

335 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Update the Windows Phone app

I consider Windows Phone as your own platform must have more updates and more work than others. We trusted your work for this OS not for Android.

We deserve a better app and also the possibility to obtain a beta app with some new functions as the described here.

Learn from Xbox Music guys.

306 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Windows Store app: Disable spell check

The OneNote app does not offer any option to turn off the automatic spell check, which leads to a flood of red underlines in text fragments that are in a different language than the system default.

222 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that with Hiding Proofing errors has been available for quite some time in OneNote for Windows 10. You should be able to find the toggle switch in the Settings > Options menu under Proofing > Hide Spelling Errors.

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

11. Add back in Ink-to-text

Ink to text is a key feature in One Note 2016. Why would you leave it out of One Note for Windows 10? Now I have to toggle between the two apps to get the functionality I want. Confusing as heck.

220 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Converting Ink to Text is available as of the September update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use. You can find this feature ribbon under the Draw tab.

For more details, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Write-notes-and-draw-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-82d1189d-eb6d-4b07-9101-b50e13645c28?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

12. New Pages on Top

The natural way for new content to appear is on top of a list. Or do you have new mail items at the bottom of your Inbox?

My OneNote always puts added pages at the bottom of the list of existing pages.

I would like to see newly added pages on the top of the page list. Make this an option.

200 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10.

You now have the ability to customize where the newly created pages go under the Settings > Options menu. You may choose to create new pages:
    - Below the selected page
    - At the top of the page list
    - At the bottom of the page list

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use

13. Windows Phone: Password protected sections

Vote for this if you want to be able to create and use password protected sections in OneNote for Windows Phone, providing added security and privacy for your notes.

193 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Record audio

The desktop app has the feature to record audio straight through one note. Why shouldn't the mobile app have the same?

132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Multilingual Typing > Set multiple Proofing Languages simultaneously

As many users, I use OneNote in my mother tongue and in English. I often—always!—use both langages simultaneously, within a same page. I would love OneNote to be able to consider multiple langages at the same time. I believe iOS did a similar move recently in iOS 10.

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the May 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

16. Interactice mathematics

I know this is a very special one, but I was wondering if there could some kind of interactive mathematics in OneNote. What I am thinking about is like this kind of functionalitynI have seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvagnKS2xuU

As a GeoGebra fellow and trainer I know this team has used GeoGebra (http://www.geogebra.org) to make this work. Another ressource the project group at Hagenberg used was http://pen.cs.brown.edu/research.html
    here are some other ressources:
    http://penomathic.nib.cc/

I know that there is a programm out there (https://www.fluidmath.net), which can do these kind of things, but imagine the Power of GeoGebra (open source)…

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Embed Videos

It would be nice to embed videos in OneNote similar to how they look in PowerPoint instead of just a file attachment.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Insert File Printout, Word file icon no longer showing.

Inserting a file printout used to put a copy of the file on the page and then the Inserted pages. This feature was removed with the update to Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 on the 8th December.

You could click on the word document and open and edit it. When you saved the file, the file on the OneNote page asked to update the printout.

As a teacher I use this feature a lot with the students and staff.

1. Topic test written in Word are placed in a department notebook and can be easily updated when changes need to…

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring back the "Copy link to paragraph" functionality in OneNote for Windows 10

OneNote 2016 has the feature to copy the link to the choosen paragraph. I use this feature a lot. Please also add this functionality in the OneNote App for Windows 10.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Copying Link to Paragraphs is now available as of the September update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-links-to-notebooks-sections-pages-and-paragraphs-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-48dd0e82-623c-405d-b63a-df4eaf55c72a?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

20. [BUG] Fix OneNote 2010 Sync With OneDrive (aka All Sections Disappear Bug 2017)

As of May 2017, users of Microsoft OneNote 2010 that sync their notebooks with OneDrive are experiencing an issue where all sections in their notebooks disappear. Users then have to manually sync all their notebooks which some users report will restore their sections temporarily. Eventually their sections will disappear again usually after an hour or two.

Screenshot of the problem:
    http://imgur.com/0hF34bJ

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Dave,

We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue has been reported and resolved as per the following answers forum thread:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-why-does-this-message-keep-coming-up-there/8a8a1a5c-b29a-4d66-8313-6a6d94bb4dca?auth=1

On a side note, I would like to point out that our uservoice forums are reserved for ideas and requests from users. For bugs please refer to use OneNote’s Answers forum:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote?auth=1

Thanks,
    -The OneNote Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base