OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Sort Pages

Add ability to sort Pages

182 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Here are some of the results of the survey –
    • Sorting is needed for pages, sections, and notebooks
    • Sorting should persist while navigating, after close of notebook, across all devices, and be seen by people they share the notebook with
    • Current OneNote users want the following sorts – alphabetical, date created, and date modified
    • We heard from a lot of users who wanted to set section lists and page lists in a sort that they wouldn’t change often, but there was also a set of users who mentioned that they would want to live in a certain sort order, but switch to another sort order as an aid to locate specific items within their list

Thank you again for your responses. This information helps us understand the experience we need to build to match your needs.

2. Repair OCR (Search) feature in

There is an issue in OneNote in combination with scaling which makes the search in documents embedded/printed to an OneNote Page pretty useless.

It seems that if a document is printed into OneNote when the system is scaled to some higher value (say 150%, which is common for tablets), the search locations will all be offset and not in the correct places.

I think the more votes this post gets the quicker the bug will be fixed.

179 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Record Video Like You Can in OneNote 2016!!

I would like the video recording feature to be returned! I need to be able to continue recording videos into my OneNote. Not linking---recording directly from OneNote.

172 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow for formatting of Images

Editing Images in OneNote should be no different than PowerPoint or Word, etc. Need ability to crop, adjust color/brightness, add a frame, etc.

170 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. add these features to OneNote for Windows 10

some very features of OneNote 2016 I would really like to see in OneNote for Windows 10:

basic shapes available to insert: squares, circles, straight line tool etc
    option to use and create templates

It would also be lovely if there were more options such as adding a header or subtitle etc. Adding arrows, diagrams, boxes. A selection of clipart or 'stickers' for decoration and emphasis of particular notes. Textures like a post it note or a shopping list that can be used to add contrast and different backgrounds within each page! I'm a visual learner so more visual and…

166 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Mark page ReadOnly

Possibility to mark page read only. This will prevent accidentail overwrite.

166 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow changing the case (Upper/Lower/Sentence)

Being able to select text and change case with the same shortcut as in Word would be very helpful.

Also integrate the keyboard shortcuts. Shift + F3..

165 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fill Shapes or Selections with Colours still Not here 2017

HI Guys
    Here we are in 2017 and this feature still not implemented in OneNote but Word Excel & PP have it. But OneNote is tagged as a great drawing app!!!
    We are not talking of a NASA think tank just get it sorted Microsoft.
    See old requests here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_other/onenote-2010-fill-a-standard-shape-with-a-color/ad36cd9e-485d-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

160 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Integration of OneNote with Endnote Citation and Bibliography Management Software

When taking notes for for academic research purposes I need to tie article quotations, summaries of the author's original ideas, research results, etc. back to the original source. This works beautifully in MS Word with the EndNote Plugin. Retyping citation details over and over creates room for error and the research and writing process becomes disjointed.

If EndNote was tied to OneNote, I could upload my annotated PDF research articles, create a link to EndNote, tag my notes for specific projects, topics, etc...

By making this connection, OneNote could become a central component of academic workflow!

160 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Use OneNote as a PDF repository / inline PDF viewer

I would like organize my PDF files within OneNote similar to how it is done in Evernote or Papers (papersapp.com). Currently the way OneNote handles PDF files is that it either converts to image printouts or embeds the file as an attachment, but does not display the content of the PDF unless you open the attachment.

* Evernote by default displays PDF files as attachments but there is an option setting > Note > "Always show PDF documents inline" that has the desired result.

159 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Merge OneNote Windows 10 and OneNote 2016 - there's no reason for diff't programs with the same names

I can't keep track of the diff btwn OneNote 2016, and One Note Windows. The features are diff't in each, and a workbook in one doesn't show up in the other. Either give the programs name that clearly distinguish their diff's, or just merged all the features into one program and remove the confusing duplication.

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Prompt where to send the screen clipping

Ever since the new update Window + shift + s hotkey no longer prompts the user where it wants to send the screen clipping. Instead, it stores the clipping in clipboard. This is inefficient. If you manually select "take screen clipping" the prompt will work as designed.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

103 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Link a inserted Excel spreadsheet to originial spreadsheet - when you update originial the inserted spreadsheet will be updated.

When you insert a spreadsheet from a saved Excel file it will automatically be updated if you change/edit the original excel file on a local drive.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow user to rotate objects

it would be nice enabling the user to rotate blocks of texts, images, shapes, printouts, etc.

155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Paragraph/Line Spacing

Add Paragraph/Line Spacing

154 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Provide the ability to give Ownership to someone else

Can you please add functionality to transfer the Ownership of a Notebook to another user. For example I am the Owner and am leaving my company or am no longer responsible for the Notebook.

At the moment there is no way of transferring the Ownership to another user.

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add functions from OneNote 2016 to OneNote app for Windows 10

I really miss several functions from the Microsoft Office version of OneNote 2016 in the OneNote app for Windows 10. And since you are planning to discontinue the MS Office version, I suggest to add at least theese functions:

- export to .one files
    - allow to store selected notebooks only locally on the PC drive
    - add paraghraph spacing
    - dock to desktop
    - create linked notes

Also some useful options from the Options tab such as:

- turn off/on the pen sensitivity
    - set the audio and video recording bit-rate (to save space or increase the quality)
    -…

147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Exclude the "In Attendance" Tag from Find Tags feature

If you are using the Meeting Notes integration with Outlook and To-Do Tag features in OneNote, the Find Tag feature becomes completely useless as it is clogged with names of attendees not present at meetings. For example, if I have a large meeting with 25 attendees and only 12 show up, and meeting of 5 people where only 3 are in attendance, and a meeting with 10 where 5 individuals show up, I now have 20 additional tags that show on the "Show only Unchecked" view in the Find Tags summary page. Simply checking off the names, but that leads…

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. rotate "send to OneNote" Print-out / Printout / Printouts / Print-outs

Right now if you send a PDF to One-Note it sends it in the form of a PrintOut.

These printouts cannot be rotated.

The same is true when sending a word document or JPEG to oneNote. It is very hard to change the orientation once it is in OneNote.

145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. OCR recognition in PDF

I have a large collection of notes (receipts, for instance) in my Evernote premium account. With the recent price hike, I'm willing to ditch it in favor of Onenote. The problem is, all my notes are PDFs, not JPGs.

OCR and search capability within PDF file are crucial for me (as others) to complete the move to Onenote.

144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base