OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Make Search Functional Useful

When typing a search phrase, OneNote should show instances as it is typed. The results should include all instances of the partial phrase, but not instances of individual words in the phrase. It would be nice to have Boolean search operators, but at least OneNote should stop presenting huge numbers of false positives.

For example, if one is searching for "make love not war" it should give you every instance of "make" as you type "make', then eliminate them as you start to type "love" so you only get instances of "make l" then "make lo", etc.

Currently OneNote gives…

223 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow changing the case (Upper/Lower/Sentence)

Being able to select text and change case with the same shortcut as in Word would be very helpful.

Also integrate the keyboard shortcuts. Shift + F3..

215 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

72 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. paper size

I think paper size on note taking it's very important, and to be honest I don't understand why Microsoft get rid of it. Be able to have paper size guidelines when taking note instead of just when you printing is awesome, cause you can control your hand writing to be on exact size and not across the border ( yeah, hand writing instead of typing)

214 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Integrate paper size function to OneNote for Windows 10

Please reintegrate paper size function in Windows 10. This feature is realy usefull.

Feature improvement: ... would be great to have the possibility to set just a paper width but without a fix height. This would improve printability of documents without loosing the limitless paper feature.

209 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow for formatting of Images

Editing Images in OneNote should be no different than PowerPoint or Word, etc. Need ability to crop, adjust color/brightness, add a frame, etc.

209 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. OneNote Reminders!

It would be so helpful if I could add reminders for tasks in onenote directly (kinda like how Evernote allows you to). I love that is done through the app so it truly pops up on my screen reminding me that I have a task to do.

207 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. default font color

Be able to change the default font color

206 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Merge Office and PDF documents natively into Onenote.

Allow Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and PDFs to be actual pages in OneNote not just inserts on the pages. Allow full editing of documents right from onenotes tool bar. the office tool bar should be great for that type of extensability.

Allow third parties to create custom page types that interact throughout onenote.

196 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. insert Word, Powerpoint and Excel printouts

Please allow the insert printout feature for Word, PowerPoint and Excel documents in the Win10 OneNote app similar to the way you can embed/print them out in the Office 2016 version of the program.
    This includes the 'refresh printout' option that is available once these embedded files are edited.

189 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. add these features to OneNote for Windows 10

some very features of OneNote 2016 I would really like to see in OneNote for Windows 10:

basic shapes available to insert: squares, circles, straight line tool etc
    option to use and create templates

It would also be lovely if there were more options such as adding a header or subtitle etc. Adding arrows, diagrams, boxes. A selection of clipart or 'stickers' for decoration and emphasis of particular notes. Textures like a post it note or a shopping list that can be used to add contrast and different backgrounds within each page! I'm a visual learner so more visual and…

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

136 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow audio recording of other person (i.e. system audio) on Desktop Skype call

The problem takes place when I'm taking notes from a meeting that takes place on Skype - or other teleconference software.

I want to record the audio of the other person speaking in a teleconference call (eg Skype) at the same time as I'm taking notes. I can then go back to the notes later in OneNote and click on a line in the notes to hear the audio at that point in a meeting. I can then expand on the notes - great! Except for the fact that OneNote can only record my microphone input and not what the…

185 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Code block

I'd really like to ability to insert a code block. Just a simple block that has a different background than the surrounding text.

If this were paired with source code formatting, and editing, that would be an amazing enhancement to OneNote.

182 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Repair OCR (Search) feature in

There is an issue in OneNote in combination with scaling which makes the search in documents embedded/printed to an OneNote Page pretty useless.

It seems that if a document is printed into OneNote when the system is scaled to some higher value (say 150%, which is common for tablets), the search locations will all be offset and not in the correct places.

I think the more votes this post gets the quicker the bug will be fixed.

182 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Record Video Like You Can in OneNote 2016!!

I would like the video recording feature to be returned! I need to be able to continue recording videos into my OneNote. Not linking---recording directly from OneNote.

180 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Mark page ReadOnly

Possibility to mark page read only. This will prevent accidentail overwrite.

180 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Disable Pen Cursor/Pointer when Writing/Drawing in OneNote

It would be greatly appreciated to see in the next update, an option to disable the pen cursor when drawing/writing on the OneNote page. When the stylus is hovering over the screen, the cursor (looks like a dot) indicates the pen tip (color, width, type) that is selected. This pen cursor often distracts me as I focus more on following where the cursor is rather than focusing on where my stylus contacts the screen surface. This makes the drawing/writing experience feel unnatural.

FYI This pen cursor still appears even after disabling the cursor in Windows 10 Settings. Once disabled, this…

177 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fill Shapes or Selections with Colours still Not here 2017

HI Guys
    Here we are in 2017 and this feature still not implemented in OneNote but Word Excel & PP have it. But OneNote is tagged as a great drawing app!!!
    We are not talking of a NASA think tank just get it sorted Microsoft.
    See old requests here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeonenote-msoother/onenote-2010-fill-a-standard-shape-with-a-color/ad36cd9e-485d-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

175 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide the ability to give Ownership to someone else

Can you please add functionality to transfer the Ownership of a Notebook to another user. For example I am the Owner and am leaving my company or am no longer responsible for the Notebook.

At the moment there is no way of transferring the Ownership to another user.

173 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. rotate "send to OneNote" Print-out / Printout / Printouts / Print-outs

Right now if you send a PDF to One-Note it sends it in the form of a PrintOut.

These printouts cannot be rotated.

The same is true when sending a word document or JPEG to oneNote. It is very hard to change the orientation once it is in OneNote.

173 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Use OneNote as a PDF repository / inline PDF viewer

I would like organize my PDF files within OneNote similar to how it is done in Evernote or Papers (papersapp.com). Currently the way OneNote handles PDF files is that it either converts to image printouts or embeds the file as an attachment, but does not display the content of the PDF unless you open the attachment.

• Evernote by default displays PDF files as attachments but there is an option setting > Note > "Always show PDF documents inline" that has the desired result.

171 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base