OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Delete student sections in class notebook

It's really frustrating when you want to delete a student section or page and you have to go through each student's OneNote individually to do that.
    Why can't there be a way to delete sections and pages on mass?

316 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

101 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. O365 meeting integration

In onenote 2016 you could click a button in the outlook meeting, all meeting information opened in a new note and if you used Skype for business in tracked attendance. It was brilliant. Now as 2016 is deprecated we corporate users are losing this great productivity feature. Please please revive it

309 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show attachment file names in full

When files are attached the file is shown as an icon with the filename displayed below the icon. The problem with this approach is that when attaching files with long names you can't see the full name of the file because it is trucated. This becomes especially apparent if you attach a lot of files whose names are the same at the start as they all then appear with identical shortened names.

I know if you hover on attachment the info tip will show the full filename, however again if you have a lot of attchments on one page this…

300 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

93 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a Word Count option

There is an optional plug in for this but it only works with the desktop version. This should be a native feature and included with all flavors of OneNote

298 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Search and replace function

Please add search and replace function to OneNote! (very useful to bulk change words to an abbreviation)

297 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please Do Not Discontinue OneNote for Windows - Laptops & Tablets Often Don't Have Internet Available

I'm hearing rumors that Microsoft is thinking about eliminating the desktop version. Please do not. There are many times when I am in a building needing to take notes and do not have internet available for my Surface tablet.

291 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show print lines on each page

By default there is no way to see if your written notes exceed one page. You have to write very small or adjust the whole text to fit into a page so I can print it out.
    I would appreciate a feature like in Excel where you simply can tick a box an you can see where the border of a page is.

284 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 283 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. OneNote is Awful, kill it and bring back OneNote 2016.

Windows 10 "Metro" "Windows Store" OneNote App is Awful, kill it and bring back OneNote 2016.

274 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Grammarly

It would be nice if you could provide the basic Grammarly for OneNote as you do in Word and Outlook

270 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

106 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Must have ability to merge and split cells!

The most popular post that mentioned this was in 2014 and it still is not fixed, so I thought it was worth suggesting again. This seems to be a very basic functionality of a table on any computer program.

269 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Don't override tab key behavior

OneNote has overridden the default tab key behavior to "insert new table here," rather than the typical "insert tab character here."

If your keyboard has a numpad you can force a tab character by pressing Alt+9 on the numpad. This is an awkward keypress, and severely limits my productivity when I'm trying to organize my thoughts using tabs (instead of a list, or a table).

If your keyboard does NOT have a numpad, there is no way to insert a tab character - other than using one of two cumbersome workarounds (copy/pasting a tab character from somewhere else or creating…

261 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Smart tables with quick sort and filter functionality in the header

Implement smart tables with quick sort and filter functionality similar to excel tables via drop down menus in the header. Or better yet enable embedding editable spreadsheets in OneNote (as suggested by others)

260 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Dock to desktop feature is missing

OneNote 2016 has feature "Dock to desktop", this seems to be missing from OneNote for Windows 10.

251 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Sort Pages

Add ability to sort Pages

250 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Here are some of the results of the survey –
    • Sorting is needed for pages, sections, and notebooks
    • Sorting should persist while navigating, after close of notebook, across all devices, and be seen by people they share the notebook with
    • Current OneNote users want the following sorts – alphabetical, date created, and date modified
    • We heard from a lot of users who wanted to set section lists and page lists in a sort that they wouldn’t change often, but there was also a set of users who mentioned that they would want to live in a certain sort order, but switch to another sort order as an aid to locate specific items within their list

Thank you again for your responses. This information helps us understand the experience we need to build to match your needs.

16. Connected Shapes (as in PowerPoint)

Drawing even simple diagrams is a pain with OneNote, because the shapes are not connected. Hence rearranging a drawing is very labor intensive. It would be extremely helpfull if there were a number of connector shapes in OneNote (like in PowerPoint), which connect shapes in a way that the connections are maintained when the shapes are moved arround

246 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Paragraph/Line Spacing

Add Paragraph/Line Spacing

245 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. create a default template for an entire notebook as well

Vote for this one if you would like to have an option for creating a default template for an entire notebook as well and not only for one section.

243 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow offline access with later sync to all notebooks

When using Onenote synced to the cloud via Onedrive, only previously opened notebooks are available offline. For people, like myself, who have dozens of notebooks, don't always have internet access, and don't know in advance which notebooks I may need when offline, this is very problematic.
    I suggest having a way to have all notebooks on your hard drive as well as in the cloud, and if changes are made to any while offline, they should be automatically synced when online after.
    I'll note that this works seamlessly with third party cloud sync applications, such as Dropbox and Google Drive.

242 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Section tabs layout

Provide the option to layout onenote the way you want it as it applies to notebooks, section tabs and pages. It's impossible to please everyone, we all process information different. Give us the option to lay out onenote the way we want it.

236 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base