OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Todo list with sort and delete all checked functions

The ToDo lists would be much better if you could sort by items checked/unchecked. Also, the list would go a long way if there was a shortcut key for deleting all of the checked items.

433 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

101 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create automatic table of contents for any given page

Please allow up to create automatic table of contents based on headings order

431 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Windows: Drag and drop to insert a link to a file instead of attaching or inserting the file

The last version of OneNote allowed me to drop a file in, and paste a link to the file rather than attaching or inserting the file. This meant I could keep my files in a well managed folder-based structure, and yet link to them from OneNote.

Office 2013 removes this.

Much discussion ensued here
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-onenote/insert-link-to-file-where-did-this-go/0c2bb0b6-7c73-4289-8f25-020faaba0027

391 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Math Tools

They really need to add a gallery for some basic tools like rulers, protractors, spinners, quadrant 1 graph paper, 4 quadrant graph paper...

386 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add language auto-detection

Typically I'm typing or pasting both English and German text in my notes but I often get the ugly spelling correction underlining because OneNote thinks by default just in the system-wide language (which is German in my case). I don't wish to disable the spelling correction and changing the language for a text selection is not a great experience because I have to select one language out of way too many languages in the list. Word on the other hand has working language auto-detection (and even if it did not, it would still be more usable because the recently used…

382 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneNote 2016

(1) Language detection before typing: OneNote 2016 doesn’t have a language detection feature at this point. It marks text with language information based on the current keyboard layout. If you are typing with US-English keyboard, the text will be marked with English automatically. If you want to type in a different language, then you can install additional keyboard layouts in Windows and switch to that keyboard layout before typing. So if you switch to a German keyboard layout, it will automatically mark the text with German and spell checker will use German language for that part of the text. This is the simplest way to get the proofing language you want.

(2) Language detection after typing: Users can select and switch the language for part of a text through Review > Language > Set Proofing Language if they want to do it after they typed it. The language…

6. Incorporate To-Do

I want to be able to create lists and arrange them and prioritize the actions with a drag and drop capability. It would be nice to see if Microsoft could incorporate it's To-Do app into OneNote or build a similar functionality natively into OneNote. Priorities change constantly and giving the user the ability to arrange items on a list with drag and drop rather than cut and paste would be so much more helpful.

377 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Windows Phone: Draw or write with a stylus (digital ink or handwriting input)

Vote for this if you want to be able to use a stylus to write in OneNote for Windows Phone by hand.

364 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are considering this request, but don’t have anything to announce at this time. Please stay tuned.

8. Win: multi-tags;import from outlook, import from EverNote

Working for years with Evernote I am missing some features.

1. Multi-Tags
    2. Synchronisation / import tags from Outlook.
    3. Easy import tags from Evernote

In this order! !

And thumbs up for all other ideas around tags here!!!

358 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

1. How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?
    a) Never
    b) Rarely
    c) Sometimes
    d) Often
    e) Always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
    a) Summary Page
    b) Tags Summary Pane

9. Rotate inserted PDFs

It would be really helpful if you could rotate inserted PDFs in OneNote. Currently, the "Rotate" button is grayed out.

355 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Office 365: Allow sharing individual sections and pages without sharing the whole notebook

As per my understanding, is possible to do it if you have a personal account but we use Office365 for business and it's not possible to do it. Why? Is when it's more useful, when you are working and sharing notes between different departments (who don't have to see the entire notebook, just the one note you are working together)...

346 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Give us the previous navigation layout back in OneNote for Windows 10

I HATE the layout of the new navigation manu in the latest update of OneNote app for Windows 10, in this model, you can't customize the menu position, etc while you could in the previous versions. I don't understand why you think you need to change what's good while you do not touch what's bad! Please give us the previous navigation layout. It had no problem.

339 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make it so that the math add in can be added to the 2016 version of One Note.

I'm a math teacher and really wanted to use this tool in my classroom this year, but it wont download to my computer since I have the 2016 version. The tools in the math add in are really cool and it's a shame that it doesn't work with the latest version.

314 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Include the possibility to add comments to a text, similar to the way it's done in Word

Possibly add comments, or notes based on part of the text (or image) on a page. Similar to the Word comments used for review.

314 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Regular Expression Search including search replace ability

One of the strongest motive to use OneNote is the Search ability. It is great for nomal uses, but for advanced users Regular Expression ability take OneNote search engine to to next level. OneNote is also lacking the ability to search and replace using simple wording, wildcards or regular expression.

This functionality is platform independent and would work on all platforms (systems/devices).

299 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Freeze pane in OneNote table (same as in Excel)

I have a large table in OneNote With header and preceding column which I would like to stay visible when scrolling in the table. Same functionallity as Freeze Pane in Excel

298 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow paper size with fized width and unlimted height

The current options are either unlimited width & height or fixed with & height.
    Can we have an option of fixed width and unlimited height.

Use case: Create notes that can be printed without affecting the size.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_other-mso_2010/annoying-feature-on-onenote-auto-paper-size/1cee3e5e-563b-4c7d-b151-997b7eb422cf

295 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please Do Not Discontinue OneNote for Windows - Laptops & Tablets Often Don't Have Internet Available

I'm hearing rumors that Microsoft is thinking about eliminating the desktop version. Please do not. There are many times when I am in a building needing to take notes and do not have internet available for my Surface tablet.

280 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Show attachment file names in full

When files are attached the file is shown as an icon with the filename displayed below the icon. The problem with this approach is that when attaching files with long names you can't see the full name of the file because it is trucated. This becomes especially apparent if you attach a lot of files whose names are the same at the start as they all then appear with identical shortened names.

I know if you hover on attachment the info tip will show the full filename, however again if you have a lot of attchments on one page this…

259 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

83 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. O365 meeting integration

In onenote 2016 you could click a button in the outlook meeting, all meeting information opened in a new note and if you used Skype for business in tracked attendance. It was brilliant. Now as 2016 is deprecated we corporate users are losing this great productivity feature. Please please revive it

258 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Changing the page creation date or time in OneNote for W10

Editing the page creation date and time shown directly under the page title is missing in OneNote for Windows UWA, but it is available in OneNote Desktop App. This feature is important if you want to have accurate date/time organisation with your OneNote pages !!

Please, include editing the page creation date and time shown directly under the page title in OneNote for Windows UWA.

254 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

75 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base