OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Give teachers the ability to TURN OFF the "solve equation" in the OneNote app or we can't assess student ability.

The app version allows users to input an equation and have it solved, step by step. this can be useful, but absolutely kills teacher ability to assess the development of student ability to identify opposite operations and formally solve equations. We need to be able to disable this feature when we are teaching equation rich topics and re-enable when the focus is on other skills and students would benefit from getting to see the blow by blow approach to scaffold their own attempts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Keep One Note Desktop

I would like to see One Note more intuitive to File Explorer with all the file saving Options of Word

Used the Tabs from Excel in One Note For example If I have a Word Document in FE and and a related excel sheet I want to keep using the Word Document and the excel Document and on a 3rd tab use a general description then If I could actually save that One Note to any place I choose that would be a plus The Problem I find is that One note attached itself to some external file that I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. math

In old version of Onenote, after inking an integral expression, such as dx/(x^2 +1) we can evaluate it by MATH button (it show "Select an action - evaluate"), but it disappear in newest version! Why? Please bring it back.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Either make the Windows 10 version feature rich, or abandon it in favor of continuing OneNote 2016

There seems to be indecision and lack of direction when it comes to OneNote. Are there two different teams developing it? Has development stalled?

There are several features in OneNote 2016 that are not available in the Windows 10 UWA version. The most major one being the ability to searching image text converted by OCR. Please decide which product you want to succeed.

I personally have tried using the Windows 10 version for several months and had to abandon it in favor of the 2016 version.

1,824 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

125 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please add "print to onenote" also for the uwp app

The Installation of OneNote 2016 installs also a printer "send to OneNote 16". I'd like that feature also for the uwp app.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Include the feature from OneNote 2016 to make customizable tags

Customizable tags is a feature my business can NOT live without. This is the only thing that keeps us from switching to OneNote (from OneNote 2016)

335 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have a Help Menu

If OneNote has a Help menu, I don't seem to be able to find it. I have to leave the app, search the Internet, and sift through a bunch of forums to find a simple answer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello-
    OneNote help is included in the “Tell me what you want to do” in the upper right hand corner. It is designated by the light bulb icon. Just type in your question and it will direct you to help content or give you instructions in the Help pane.

8. tag

Add tags to OneNote. This feature is critical, how was it left off the new version?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Save embeded files being opened out side automatically, not untile file close!!!!!!!!

I modified an embedded excel file for days, and I save it often in Excel.
    Today I clicked the button in Outlook to upgrade office, then I closed Onenote firstly, then Excel.... you know what happened? my modifications get lost permanently! not in onenote history/recycle bin, even not found in system recycle bin... how brainless could this be?

Why not OneNote make a copy of my file in days? it changes several times, is it hard to detect it? I'm speechless.......... a file syncher is much better than this ****.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can do this in OneNote for Win10 app.

Also, in the OneNote app, don’t worry about saving the new changes as a separate file and re-attaching to your notebook – your changes are already synced and ready to be viewed in OneNote! Make sure AutoSave is on.

Here is the link to a recent blog explaining how it works
    techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-B..

10. Print to newest addition of OneNote

The only option i see to print is to OneNote 2016 and I would like to insert the PDFs right into the newest edition so that I don't have to copy and paste. Also lately the sizing has been very off when a file is copied and pasted into another part of oneNote

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Autosave for embedded documents

Can we please have office documents embedded in OneNote pages auto-save in the same way that they auto-save if they are stored as a file in the SharePoint site where the notebook is located?

OneNote saves automatically to a cache and then to OneDrive/SharePoint for notebooks stored in OneDrive. In Office 365, word, excel etc documents auto-save as long as they are stored on a SharePoint, so having a file saved to my OneDrive means it will be auto-saved, which is important for group work.

I use OneNote Notebooks heavily for Office 365 Groups, and embed documents in the notebooks.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This capability is rolling out to all users on OneNote for Windows 1-0 over the next few weeks.

Make sure AutoSave is on, edit what you want, and close the file when you’re done. The next time someone opens the file from the notebook, those latest changes will be there.

12. Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

3,121 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

525 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Feature to create links to other Notebook's, Sections, or Pages within OneNote

This feature should be similar to website links. It should allow you to create internal links that point to another Page, Notebook, or Section within OneNote. Thank you so much for the effort you put to provide this service! I love OneNote!!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that this feature has been added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the September 2017 update.

You are now able to copy a link to a Notebook, Section Group, Section, Page and paragraph.

For more information please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10!
    -The OneNote Team

14. Edit attached/embedded Office files

In OneNote 2016 an attached Excel/Word file could be opened from OneNote, edited, saved, and synced automatically back to OneNote.

Now, in OneNote Windows 10, such files can only be opened as "Read Only."

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature will be rolling out to all users on OneNote for Windows 10 over the next few weeks.
    Don’t worry about saving the new changes as a separate file and re-attaching to your notebook – your changes are already synced and ready to be viewed in OneNote! Make sure AutoSave is on.

Here is the link to a recent blog explaining how it works
    techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-B..

15. virtual ruler just like in ink workspace

its very necessary to add virtual ruler just like in Windows ink workspace sketch pad.

I am taking all my class notes in one note but without the ruler, protracter and compess its very difficult . pls provide these features in coming updates

its very imp

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to inform you that the virtual Ruler has been added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of our December 2017 update.

You can find it in the ribbon under the Draw tab.

For more information please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10.
    -The OneNote Team

16. Option in Ink to Math to turn fractions into decimals

I am amazed how well Outlook does the math, but I fall back to using my calculator since it insists on giving me results as fractions with no option to turn them into decimals.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Multiple OneNote windows

I'd like to have detachable OneNote windows. This would provide the facility to keep two sets of content in view simultaneously. It would, enable, for example, the ability to work with content from different sections or tabs at the same time, instead of switching between tabs/sections to do so, as now.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the July 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Dear Bianca,

We are please to inform you that this is somewhat available as part of the context menu options on notebooks. Simply right click a given notebook and choose Pin To Start to have a shortcut that lands you directly into that notebook.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and helping us improve OneNote.

19. Put the name of the open Notebook at the top of the screen

It's confusing knowing which Notebooks is the current one being worked on when switching frequently between notebooks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. please make OneNote 2016 for windows desktop sections view just like OneNote for mac,which is a list not a menu bar.

please make OneNote 2016 for windows desktop sections view just like OneNote for mac, which is a list not a menu bar.
    that make notebooks , sections and pages show as three list together ,it is beautiful ,just like on mac ,thanks

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are closing this idea as the platforms have all been converged into 1 common design as part of the July 2017 update.

On Windows, please use the OneNote for Windows 10 app in order to see this new design.

For more information on this, please visit the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your feedback in helping us shape the next version of OneNote.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base