OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Create Option to add New Page to top

It would be great to have an Options settings so that when clicking on Add Page, the user could choose to add the new page to the TOP or bottom. I like to keep my most recent pages (such as for meetings) in reverse chronological order. I have to either click Add Page and then drag the page from the bottom to the top - not ideal when there are dozens of pages. Or I have to float the mouse just right so the floating New Page arrow button appears. By default, new pages are added to the bottom but…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please remove tagging from OneNote.

It only frustrates users and makes Microsoft look bad to have tagging implemented in such a shoddy, inconsistent and useless manner. Basic functionality like managing tags is missing from every platform except the one that MS was going to EOL. They finally caved and had to continue supporting 2016 because after 5 years of people asking they still can’t add this and other basic function to other platforms.

Put the nail into features that are not ever going to be fully implemented so we can all stop hoping in vein that they will someday work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Read-only mode

Dear Microsoft,

Please add a feature in OneNote to where users can make a NoteBook, Section, Section Group and or Page Read-Only. It's easy to accidentally edit notes when copying them. I want to be able to lock my notes to prevent editing.

P.S. OneNote 2016 is the reason why I got a Microsoft 365
    subscription. Don't mess this up!.

Best regards

Christopher

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. onenote for windows 10 should have the features of onenote 2016 while keeping the same UI.

The onenote 2016 app is very ugly and in need of an update to its UI. it should have a UI like onenote for windows 10 while keeping itself powerful

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. AUTO Scroll to CURRENTLY open Section in THE Notebook/Navigation Pane

Trying to find the CURRENT section I am in, in the notebook pane or navigation pane if you will (on the left ), is a PAIN. If I did NOT scroll there by myself, BUT instead got to current section from a hyperlink from another page or via the search option, the notebook pane does not update to reflect which section I landed up in. I physically have to scroll around to find it. This is painstaking for those with 100's of sections.

The ability to keep the Notebook pane Or navigation pane in SYNC with the CURRENTLY open page…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Read only mode

Please add read only mode to prevent unwanted editng.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. ctrl f on printouts in one note windows 10

The ctrl f feature was a lot better on one note 2016. It was so easy to find information on my pdf lecture slides which I inserted into one note as print outs. Its a shame this doesn't work on one note windows 10

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Have pen mode "stick" to streight lines

When drawing a technical diagrams it would be good to have the pen draw straight lines continuously.
    ie without having to select the line too / box tool with every draw of the pen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I need paper sizing options!

I hate that it never ends because I don’t know how big my page is and I can’t print it right! I like the idea of an endless page but the option to set boundaries is important!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Footnotes

Please make a footnote function like in Word! This would make the technical part of writing more efficient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Turn in Assignment From Teams withinin the OneNote App

I have created an assignment in teams and have attached a OneNote page to the assignment that I distributed into their Notebooks. I would like for them to have a way to "turn in" the assignment from within the OneNote App. I don't want them to have to open the Teams app and to click turn in there. It seems like an extra, unnecessary step when that page is already connected to the assignment in teams.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Get back the "Pen as a pointer"-funtionality

This "magic pen" worked great in the 2016 version, but is deeply missed in the Windows 10 version. The ink you used in this mode, disappeared after a while. Great for teacher explaining things on a page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Save last used color permanently

It should be possible save the last used color permanently Or to put somewhere so you can use it many times with one click.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. change color of background dark mode

Please add an option for changing the color of the background of all of your onenotes to something like a darker gray when you use dark mode - the white hurts my eyes & I want to be able to change this within OneNote without having to modify window settings for my entire device. Please let the color of the main window be changed away from white. Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Layout

Absolutely hate the new layout - The new OneNote interface takes up way too much screen space (expansion of all the menu options on the left side of the screen takes up almost half of the display). Please offer the option to switch back to the horizontal layout, or at the very least, allow us to move the menu to the right side of the screen so that our notes don't shift every time we navigate our notebook. I understand the pressure to match competitors (such as, Notability), but to change something that already works well is a terrible move.…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make text boxes act like index cards.

ON is strange in that you have to click into a (I don't know the official term, so I'll call them text boxes) when typing on a page. These text boxes move, but that's about all they seem to do. I wish I could create a border around the text boxes and easily add more boxes on a page that I could pin to a page or move around to act like index cards on a page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Optionally Autonumber pages

I like to number my page headings: 1. Introduction 2. Executive Summary, etc. The problem is that because I manually number the pages, when I change the page order, I have to edit every head because the numbers are now out of order. The feature I would like is optional page numbering, so when I reorder the pages, the page numbers automatically reorder too. As a bonus, it would be nice if this was a true outline format, so if I indent a page that was a number, it now change to a letter 1 a b c 2 a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. People can choose different languages for their different text boxes, pages, tabs, or notebooks

OneNote should be able to function in different languages or different tones (Canadian and American English). This is important for people who are multilingual and the proofing gets very annoying. OneNote should also have proofing for different languages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. More pen styles!

Having the option for more pen styles and textures. Either built-in or the ability to import. Examples of this would be brush pens and round highlighters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I would love to see an instant message section for teacher and students.

This would make notebook far more superior to edmodo etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base