OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Add / Make Sidebar ( Navigation , search , history ) available in fullscreen ( full screen full-screen) .

Add / Make Sidebar ( Navigation , search , history ) available in fullscreen ( full screen full-screen) .

This is crucial, for e.g. easily switch pages in fullscreen.

This could be implemented like shown in this picture: https://imgur.com/PwY1JYR

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ruler on desktop without touchscreen!

Please enable some option to control the ruler on Desktop without touchscreen!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. ruby / phonetic guide

Phonetic guide is available in Word, but not available in OneNote.
    This is a great tool for working with Asian texts.
    Is it possible to add it to onenote (and other office tools! )

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. OneNote Outlook Tasks in their own Folder

If we can't move an Outlook Task created in OneNote to a sensible folder, can they at least have their own folder? E.g. in To Do you have the Assigned to you (planner), Flagged email and Tasks. At the moment I can't use Tasks for anything other than OneNote, to prevent the OneNote tasks from getting muddled and moved breaking the link to OneNote.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Show Section Groups as a Dropdown list of Sections in Desktop 2016 / 2019

Having made the move to the store app when we were told that desktop onenote was getting cancelled, I now have a lot of different sections, as the layout is better for this.

Going back into my notes in 2016, the multiple steps to get to your notes is really annoying. I would prefer when I clicked this, it to offer a drop down list of the sections it contains, so I could choose from that list. Getting moved into a different section group is a lot harder to navigate, as you then have to get back out of it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. More Immersive OneNote 2016 and Outlook Integration

Would it be possible to integrate OneNote 2016 and Outlook some more? I currently import new e-mails & replies into OneNote with the shortcut in Outlook's toolbar, however that just puts the e-mail into a single folder, then you distribute from there to the appropriate project notebook.

I also write my initial e-mail in OneNote 2016 and add all attachments to the note, then use the E-mail shortcut in OneNote to send it in an e-mail through Outlook. I like how that integration works, even down to how the e-mail signature looks.

OneNote is also great at dynamically following notes…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. expand

Improve expand/collapse functionality in Win 10-app. I need the functionallity of OneNote 2016 in the app. Collapsing subpages is must.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Ink to Table feature

It is currently available in the Microsoft Whiteboards app, and would be incredible to have in OneNote.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. OneNote 2016-create new page on top of the list

I know this is already available in OneNote, but I feel OneNote is an incomplete version of OneNote 2016, many other useful functions are not available in OneNote app. Which troubles me when I learned OneNote 2016 does not have this option. Please add this to OneNote 2016 also. I use OneNote 2016 to keep record of my daily work and meeting memos, it is very troublesome that I have to scroll down to the bottom of the list to look at the most recent page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make it so we can save or sync any notebook to our local hard drive and the cloud simultaneously or separately.

Make it so we can save or sync any notebook to our local hard drive and the cloud simultaneously or separately. In other words give me control.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Automatically resize pictures to width of the text box

Just like in the popular app Notion, when you paste (ctrl+v) a picture, it automatically resizes the picture to the width of the box (the box can be user defined once they start typing in a note).

Notion does this and makes it very clean for text/picture journal entries

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. OneNote Dark Theme text color algorithm fix

Explanation: Currently what happens, is that some whitish red colors mixed up with pink, for example, that would be perfectly readable for the dark theme, becomes very darkish red and unreadable in the dark theme. But this is for all R, G and B. And the dark colors, for example, pure black, becomes a very dark gray which is not easy to read, almost unreadable under the dark theme.

An example: Source code copied from source code snippets on the web are still too dark to be read in the dark theme. The dark theme is great! Don't take me…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Auto-unlock for encrypted sections

Let me choose to save a OneNote encrypted-section password locally in OneNote so that OneNote can auto-unlock my encrypted section.

This will provide a nice zero knowledge protection. Right now I have to reenter the password every day, which is inconvenient and unnecessary for my use case.

My threat model: I'm concerned about access to my notes from the cloud; I'm not concerned about access to them from someone on my computer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hide sections

I would like to be able to hide sections in the student notebooks - not the general navigation, but actual sections. We post our assignments for the week, and sometimes in units, and when the week or unit is done, we would like to be able to hide them to reduce the clutter. I've made the same request for Teams, but it seems more practical in the Class Notebook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Android app

Android app for Tablets needs to improve as compared to Samsung notes for Tab S6.
    Improvement points:
    1. Hand rejection
    2. Responsiveness to pen.
    3. "Change style" option in Samsung notes, not there in One Note

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. voice recording for sticky notes

I frequently dictate using sticky note. tI would be nice if we could dictated and at the same time it also record my voice dictation in a audio file that can be access at a later time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Print to OneNote with Continuous as page size

'Print to OneNote' should offer 'Continuous' as a page size. Just like old continuous-feed printers, OneNote's sheets aren't size-limited, so why does 'Print to OneNote' impose a limit? This is especially noticeable when printing long webpages to OneNote. The source isn't paged, the OneNote sheet it's going to isn't paged, so why is the print driver so limited?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Revert to 2016 version, a far better experience.

Revert to 2016 version, a far better experience.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. "Change Case" icon for Quick Access Toolbar

I would appreciate a change case icon for the Quick Access Toolbar as there is available for other Microsoft Office apps. I compile notes from technical literature with many acronyms and headings and I often need to flick between upper and lower case. Perhaps others would find this useful too.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Tagging Selections

Tagging currently selects one continuous line of information counted until the next line break / carriage return. This makes it impossible to tag a larger unit of related text with line breaks in between and create meaningful tag summaries which include all the related text together. Consider adding an option to create tags for selections.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base