OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. How to display shortcut key combination in OneNote for Windows 10

I have the Office 365, and using the OneNote

One day, all in suddent, OneNote figured out I have a touch screen and become the touch mode, which has larger icon but all label missing.

I preferred using keyboard combinations to get things done.

In Excel, I can press ALT to show the tips for key corresponding to functions.

But in OneNoe, it only shows a box, which requires me to press TAB to switch functions.

Is there any better or effective way to do that other than keep TAB-ing or touch screen or have to use my mouse?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. region

Please add expandable regions like PowerShell ISE in to Onenote all versions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Selecting the solid black circle bullet sets the line of text with no bullet instead

This appears to be a bug.
    Prior to a couple days ago, this was working fine. Now it's broken.
    I put cursor on a line of text and select the solid circle bullet style from the drop-down menu for bullets. It set it to no bullet. If I choose any other bullet style it works fine, just the solid black bullet circle it going blank on me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Edit notebooks in Markdown with VS Code

I want to create notebooks in markdown directly in VS Code. VS Code has a much more modern UI. It would be OK to have to switch to main onenote for features that can't be done in markdown; but a plugin that would let me create, edit, save pages would get me using OneNote all the time again. I would guess that a very large number of your users use Markdown in other contexts, and use Code. This would directly give you all the great features of Markdown such as code region fencing, etc, allowing you to preserve formatting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Isometric paper overlay

If you add a few isometric papers overlays it will be greatly beneficial to doing rough sketches in onenote before bringing them to solidworks, or when writing out 3D problems in class (Mechanical Engineering/Architecture).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Grey sidebar on navigation is permanent and takes up screen space - PLEASE GO BACK TO OLD INTERFACE

Please remove grey sidebar and reintroduce fully hideable side bar - like in older versions

Previous versions you could hide the side bar completely and be left with a small arrow on top left screen to reopen side bar - this worked well.

New update now has a pointless grey side bar which is PERMANENTLY THERE and requires multiple clicks to access and reduce pages notebooks etc

Not only is it annoying and pointless, this takes up precious screen space.....please change what you like but having the ability to have a whole text screen free from waste of space is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. connect OneNote to Outlook for sharing

If we want to send a copy of a page from OneNote, Outlook should be a detected option. Currently, only mail is an option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. OneNote for Linux

OneNote is an amazing Note taking tool because it supports both text and handwriting very well. For those that use linux very often and still want and/or need access to their OneNote notes the web app often is not enough it lacks offline support and is relatively slow compared to the apps.
    That is why we really need a native OneNote client for Linux

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Searchable Handwriting in OneNote for Windows 10

In OneNote 2016, you were able to search for inked handwriting throughout your notebooks. The absense of this functionality on OneNote for Windows 10 is the only thing holding me back from switching to the new version of OneNote

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. View section tabs of open notebooks simultaneously

I work on multiple notebooks and would love the option of looking at sections without having to switch to a different notebook every time I need to switch books.
    Currently the layout is:

Notebook Selection Dropdown Menu
    Section 1
    Section 2
    Section 3

Proposed:

Notebook1
    Section 1
    Section 2
    Section 3

Notebook2
    Section 1
    Section 2
    Section 3
    and so on

An may be also add the ability to exapand/collapse sections in case one has multiple notebooks open.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Feature Parity as compared to OneNote 2016

Give us back what we had in 2016.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Section management

Currently, the vertical list of section tabs cannot be alphabetized. I have lots of tabs, and the apparently random way they are arranged currently is not helpful - it takes too long to find the section I want to use. Please add a way to alphabetize sections.

In addition, while manually alphabetizing I discovered that the section(s) assigned at the top of the list are assigned - again seemingly somewhat randomly - as tabs across the top of my OneNote window. Now I have a list of tabs across the top that I may or may not want easy access…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Export OneNote for Windows 10 pages to MS Word

Please add back the 2016 feature to export a OneNote page or section to MS Word.

We use OneNote for note taking and first drafts. However, if/when a note becomes a long term doc that needs publishing, we want to convert to MS Word.

In OneNote2016, of course, this feature was there. However, on Office365, you can't use online OneNote with desktop 2016 very well. So, we really need the feature added (back) to OneNote for Windows 10..

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. COPY a OneNote for Windows 10 Page

I want to COPY a OneNote page or section, so that I can send it to a SharePoint site (that I don't own), or attach it in an email.

This would allow us to take notes on the desktop OneNote and then post a copy to a SharePoint Doclib if/when we're ready to post to a shared repository.

We've been using OneNote as our primary documentation tool. It could be any of 100 different SharePoint sites within my company, so I'm not going to "log in on my desktop" to all of those. They're not owned by me, but I…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Show page limit to Infinite canvas

If you want to mantain your infinite canvas is ok, but please add the possibility to show on the screen the limit of the page that someone select (A4,A3, ecc)
    because now it's impossible to print notes.
    A dashed line on the infinite canvas would be great, so if i want to have infinite space i don't look at it, but if i know that i will print or export as "normal" pdf i would see the dashes and i would know where stop writing and start a new page.
    Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to select entire row and/or all sub-rows (bullet and/or sub-bullets)

In OneNote 2016 I can hover to left a a row of notes to show a carrot that I can then click on to toggle between selecting entire row and/or all sub-rows (bullets and/or sub-bullets). It actually can be bullets or just indents for sub-sections. Once selected then that row or sub row could be copied, dragged, deleted... PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE TO ONENOTE APP. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Expand and Collapse bullets (sub bullets) in notes on a page (like 2016)

In OneNote 2016 I can double click on carrot next to a bullet that has sub-bullets in my notes on a page and it will toggle between showing/hiding all sub-bullets. Please add this to the OneNote App. When managing a list/notes on a page that are detailed/lengthy with sub-bullets it is awesome to be able to shrink all items to only the top bullet for a summarized view of my list and then expand items as needed. In 2016 when there are hidden sub-bullets then there is a "+" icon to the left of the row.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. OneNote 2016 Features I'd like to see in OneNote App - selecting, bullets

2016 features I'd like to see in App...
    Selecting:
    - being able to hover to left of a line and and click on the "home plate" button that shows up to then be able to select row and/or all subs of item to copy/move/indent...
    SubSections:
    - similar, being able to hover over left of a line/row and and double click on the "home plate" shape to hide/expand any/all sub bullets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. When following a link to a page, load the page before trying to open it

Otherwise, OneNote sees the page is "missing" and goes to another page in the section. The page loads afterwards, but then the user has to open it manually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Set Color for Pages Tabs

It will be great if we have the option to set different colors for different page tabs , same as in sections

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base