OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Need ability to insert graph part and number lines

Can you add the opetion to insert small portions of graph paper even a version as a cordinate plan and also have a number line and have them auto adjust as I enter information on it. This would help me and other math stud nets out where the entire page does not have to be graph paper so that it would be easer to read and more percise control on how it will look.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add focus mode

Add focus move (similar to one in iA Writer: http://www.iawriter.com/mac/) that 1) keeps all text except current sentence/paragraph grayed out, 2) keeps level of text entry at same height of screen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to only show highlighted text

I use OneNote a lot to read texts, mails and highlight the most important words, phrases or sentences. It would be great if OneNote had the ability to grey out all non-highlited words, so only the core message of the text is displayed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Customize Tag Finding

I use tags for task tracking with checked/uncheck tags and I also tag Ideas, Important notes, etc.. The Tag Finder is useful, but I need to be able to customize my tag searches. I'd like to find all my entries tagged as Ideas for instance w/o having to see every item I've ever tagged as a To Do. Doing these ad hoc would be great and then being able to save them as views would be even better.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create own ribbon with most used shortcuts

I think it would be great to be able to create your own ribbon with shortcuts for the most used tools. Then you could have your own ribbon and not have to change back and forth between the headers.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Conditional Formatatting

Its really useful and is present on Excel, sometime i have to work with a list of values, or even want to highlight the same word or sentece automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option for voicemail to go directly to OneNote for mobile platforms

While this is something for windows phone, I think it applies to all mobile platforms. I want my voicemail to go directly to OneNote, and then be able to review it wherever OneNote is.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Power Point compatibility - improve

Please improve office-compatibility in general, but especially for Power-Point.
    So far you´re often forced to import a "stupid" picture without any adding/changing possibility.
    Instead I want to import e.g. a nice colored Table with pictures and text to add/change in the cells etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Scan to Contacts (OCR)

The ability to scan business cards straight to Contacts would be fantastic.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Creating hyperlinks by dragging and dropping internet shortcut files in OneNote for desktop

Please enable creating hyperlinks in OneNote by dragging and dropping internet shortcut files into OneNote.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Using office lens without internet/OneNote

Office Lens would be perfect if we could also use it without any Synchronisation (OneNote/Internet). If the Picture would just to be found in the Gallery (under saved Pictures e.g.)

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 Button camera app option and better cameras in windows tablets for taking picture of the board or scanning

If you are a student in class and want to take a picture of the board very fast in either desktop or metro onenote, there should be a button to do that. And better cameras on windows tablets.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Attach templates to notebooks

At the moment templates are attached to users not workbooks. It would be good to be able to optionally attach them to shared workbooks to ensure when anyone creates a new page it's created using this template.

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to redefine the inbuilt styles

Add the ability to redefine the inbuilt styles, ideally with the option of linking the new styles to the notebook's section for all users of the notebook. By doing this the "owner" of a shared notebook could define the styles for a particular section which would be automatically used whenever a new page is created by anyone.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Capture document links from other Office applications ...

I used OneNote as my central repository for all digial assets I use. I would like to be able to go to a single place ( OneNote ) and have a complete history of all activity pertaining to a particular topic. When opening and editing documents stored on file system or in SharePoint, I doesn't make sense to keep a second copy in OneNote but I would like to be able to keep track of all the document links. Perhaps include an option so that when a document is opened and edited in Word / Excel / PowerPoint / etc.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Onenote with TheBrain software features: high end notetaking killer app

TheBrain: I like to organize Onenote pages not in tree mode but like TheBrain mind emulation software... with parent, child, sibling organization/link between Onenote pages

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Build OneNote into Outlook. Contrary to those who write to decouple from outlook

Build OneNote into Outlook. The heart and soul of the Office suite is Outlook. Having to open OneNote is a pain. It should be integrated with Outlook. Outlook's notes are "cute" but would be awesome if they had OneNote features.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. in metro version of oneNote, allow a double red line as the left margin... just like legal pads

Many legal pads have a double line to designate the left margin. It is useful to have this line all the way down the page (vertically) when making lists. I put my "check box" (the little box the forms if you hit cntrl+1) on the left side of the double line and then I put my priority ranking (1,2,3,4) on the right side of the margin. I usually strike through when done and / or check the box.

It would also help if there was a way to auto re-arrange the list by priority number (the number on the right…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. rotate "send to OneNote" Print-out / Printout / Printouts / Print-outs

Right now if you send a PDF to One-Note it sends it in the form of a PrintOut.

These printouts cannot be rotated.

The same is true when sending a word document or JPEG to oneNote. It is very hard to change the orientation once it is in OneNote.

179 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. On Surface Pro 3, sometimes my stroke is not recognized in the handwriting version of the on-screen keyboard

If I use the on-screen keyboard with stylus and hand-writing detection that I think has been around with windows for a while on the Surface Pro 3, often my first stroke is not recognized.

Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base