OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Custom page dimensions for "Send to OneNote" printer driver

Currently it's only possible to insert printouts on a limited selection of paper sizes - A4, A5, letter, legal, etc.

Since there is no actual paper involved in the process, it would be much easier if we could choose our printout dimensions to match the content we're printing.

I'm currently in the process of cropping out a LOT of whitespace from around the OneNote printout of my class textbook, as the textbook is a non standard size (8.3" x 10.4").

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. allow scrolling when printing pdf's or other large files to onenote.

When I print a pdf to onenote it places each pdf page into a separate page in onenote. That prevents the user from scrolling through the doc easily and makes it much less user friendly. If the document is 30 pages I have to manually click on each page to advance through the document

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Virtual Notebook - A view to merge notebooks

I would like to see a Notebook that is virtually a few of two or more Notebooks. By this, I mean, being able to see two physically separate notebooks as a single view. Sections from Notebook A and Sections from Notebook B would appear as a single set of section tabs. Tabs with the same name in each notebook would show all the pages from both Notebooks A and B together in the viewed section.
    Why?
    Some of my notebooks are stored locally (and on an encrypted drive) because they contain sensitive information. Other notebooks contain non-sensitive data, often bulky,…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Sketches as a template for your own shapes in the drawing area of OneNote

Skizzen als Vorlage für eigene Formen im Zeichenbereich von OneNote
    Bisher hatte ich immer Schwierigkeiten bei den Vorlesungen sauber zeichnen zu können, weil der eifrige und schnelle Prof dies nie zulässt. Meine Produktivität mit OneNote könnte ich deutlich steigern, wenn ich eigene Zeichen-Formen abspeichern könnte. Sie könnten unter den Standardformen als "Eigene Formen" angezeigt werden. Die Standardformen reichen für die Vorlesung definitiv nicht aus und erfordern für saubere Mitschriften immer Nacharbeit.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. May have already been suggested but my three are list related

1) list view summary option like EverNote snippet view
    2) better custom tags to make it easier to search
    3) option to show tags at end of title on lists

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. change file path limit on onedrive with windows 8.1

256 character limit on oneDrive folder location?? Crashing sync to onedrive with windows 8.1?

I can't use one note until this is fixed. I need more control on the length of the path so I can organize with sub folders. Remove the 256 character filepath restriction.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Highlight mode

Suggestion: Create a "Highlight mode"

Platform: Windows desktop

Purpose: focus on reading and highlighting long and complex texts, without moving the cursor or sight from the line on which you are focused, or pressing more keys or select more options than strictly necessary. That dirupts and distracts. A highlight mode as in Word, would be enough, as long as it was as easy to use as inking mode in Onenote.

Current issues:
    - Current inking mode would be fine, but I don't like that:

○ The color doesn't anchor to text.

○ It's difficult to draw parallel to text.
    14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. [Underline mode (highlighted/highlight)] Modo subrayado (resaltado / highlight)

Sugerencia: Establecer un "Modo subrayado" (me refiero al resaltado/highlight, no al underline)

Plataforma: Windows modo no táctil (no conozco el funcionamiento del modo táctil)

Objetivo: poder concentrarse en leer y subrayar textos largos, sin tener que apartar el cursor ni la vista de la línea en la que estás trabajando, ni tener que pulsar más teclas de las imprescindibles ni usar más opciones de las necesarias, que interrumpen y distraen. En realidad, un modo "resaltado" como el de Word, sería suficiente, siempre que fuese tan fácil de usar en Onenote como el marcador/inking.

Problemas actuales:
    - El actual modo marcador…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Let us minimise containers

This way we can get to the content on a page we want right away than going through content we don't need at that time.

If we want it all open again we could maximise the containers so we can view them in their entirety.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PowerPoint printout

It would be nice to be able to printout slides directly from ppt to Onenote, rather than saving the ppt as a PDF and manually insert them into Onenote.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. merge several pages into one easily

The scenario could be that I take a bunch of screenshots, which get dumped into the quick notes. I want to be able to consolidate all these separate pages into one, for ease of sharing and manipulation. (e.g. 40 pictures to be regrouped in one page, or 40 bits of text, or what have you)

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Double-click and drag to select multiple words

Currently, double-clicking a word will highlight the word, but user is unable to drag to select more text, like in any other text or word editor.

Fix is to allow double-click and drag to select multiple words under mouse cursor.

155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to set default zoom level for viewing

Zoom levels are presently per-page, per-instance of OneNote.

It would be helpful to be able to set a default zoom level, such as 125% or 'Page Width,' that would be automatically applied when a page is loaded to view.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. PDF printouts with multiple pages should have a "flatten to onenote page" which would prevent moving or adjusting the pdf page.

Currently pdf printouts scroll slowly and load poorly - long printouts need to be optimized. It seems like onenote is handling large printouts like massive image collections.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Move the book navigation to left

In general I like the tree navigation found in tools such as Scrivener. They are better suitable for thinking and outlining. The tab navigation does not really add value and the navigation on the right confuses user experience. I think there is tremendous value in following some of the features available in Scrivener.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add "draw with touch" function to OneNote for mobile

The "draw with touch" function should be a basic and necessary feature in every OneNote version.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Border around text blocks

It would be nice to be able to turn ON a border around a text or image block. Just like you can see the faint outline when hovering over it, it would be useful to help separate areas of a page into distinct thoughts.

Stretch Goal - Color choice for a border.

1,155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

247 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Text Wrapping

Vote to see the ability to wrap text around images in OneNote

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to hide "Click to view other notebooks" button in full page view

When using full page view with a small window size (mimicking a post-it note) the ever present button to access other notebooks and sections gets in the way and takes up important window real estate.

Even in a larger window, the button expands to take up more horizontal space, and if I have content going across the window, it again covers up the content in the upper right hand corner.

It would be lovely if this button automatically hid itself until scroll over or some such thing such that it wasn't taking up space and blocking the view of content…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base