OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Make the Mini Toolbar Customizable

The Mini Toolbar is extremely useful. I love the ability to have it pop up as soon as I highlight something (with cursor, not inking). My problem is I only use a few of the tools that show up in there. I would love to be able to customize this toolbar just like you can customize the Quick Access Toolbar.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a Home Button/Link

The recently used list on WP* works almost all the time UNLESS you have lots and lots of notebooks like I do and want to add a note to a specific section in another notebook in which class I have to click the breadcrumb nav over and over at the top of the screen. A home button that instantly takes me to my notebook list would save a ton of time (the breadcrumb is a hard control to activate as well.)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. create notes based on location or time

an example if you activate location on the app, and you registered before some university or school the app could on each run determinates if the location is the same and open a kind of "student notepad" or something like that.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Better Printing

Pages don't align for printing and sometimes cuts off sentences. Wrap to page, or at least have a ruler / grid that shows where the printing page cuts off

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Include the possibility to add comments to a text, similar to the way it's done in Word

Possibly add comments, or notes based on part of the text (or image) on a page. Similar to the Word comments used for review.

316 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bullet proof synchronization between devices

I need reliable, immediate, synchronization. Please make synchronization as bulletproof across devices as Evernote. OneNote is totally superior for taking notes and keeping reference information - I have used it since its inception.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Clip to onenote in metro

We should be able to clip a section of the screen to OneNote in metro without going to desktop. Currently the only options are taking a full screenshot or using ModerMix to run metro apps in desktop so as to us the clip to OneNote function. Both are less than perfect.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Drag & Drop Images Directly Into One Note

Hold down the left mouse click and drag the image over to the one note and drop it to have the image automatically appear in notes. Give an option to include the link or make the image a hyperlink to the original. At the least allow drag and drop of images, where I can plop some ideas and make my own ideas board or notebook.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. automatic date / title entry option when starting up a new note off of the surface pro 3

Ability to tell one note to automatically insert a date into the new note, and then when turning one note off (stopping taking the current note - powering off, changing out of one note etc) a prompt to ask you if you want to keep the note / what you want to do with it - ie - mail to, store in specific notebook, delete, etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Integration of OneNote with Endnote Citation and Bibliography Management Software

When taking notes for for academic research purposes I need to tie article quotations, summaries of the author's original ideas, research results, etc. back to the original source. This works beautifully in MS Word with the EndNote Plugin. Retyping citation details over and over creates room for error and the research and writing process becomes disjointed.

If EndNote was tied to OneNote, I could upload my annotated PDF research articles, create a link to EndNote, tag my notes for specific projects, topics, etc...

By making this connection, OneNote could become a central component of academic workflow!

160 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add colour to page tabs to help organize information.

The ability to group page tabs using Subpages is useful but if pages could also be coloured it would make it easier to see different subject areas within a large section.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Todo list with sort and delete all checked functions

The ToDo lists would be much better if you could sort by items checked/unchecked. Also, the list would go a long way if there was a shortcut key for deleting all of the checked items.

436 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

101 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fix equation editing

Equation editing in OneNote Windows Store App works when using a physical keyboard (by typing the Alt = key combination) but not when using the virtual keyboard layout (even when the full virtual keyboard option is enabled).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Release an upgraded version with more formatting options

I adore OneNote. It's my favourite Office product. But obviously, being a free application, it lacks some of the useful formatting options that Word has. I'd like to see more Word features in a paid for OneNote version. Shape options and the like.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Journal / Diary

Add button to the ribbon that opens today's journal page. If the journal page does not exist, a new page is created from a template in a default notebook and tab.

Possibly extend journal button to a global hot-key.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Quickly scroll a large page in WP.

I have some large pages and if the app opens at the top of the page it takes too long to swipe to the bottom. On the desktop I use ctrl+shift+end to get to the bottom or I drag the scroll bar to where I want to go. I would like to do something similar in the WP app.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please make sharing templates more simple than having to 'move or copy' the page then havig to use 'page size' to make the template...

It would be far more convenient for those users who frequently use templates if the template formats was similar to the other office programs. I constantly make templates for use at work, and my company is adopting OneNote based on what I have done; however, the process of sharing templates is far to complicated for people less familiar with the program

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a Word Count option

There is an optional plug in for this but it only works with the desktop version. This should be a native feature and included with all flavors of OneNote

252 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add flash cards function to active recall testing for remember

Software SuperMemo and Anki can assistant remember things a lot. If Onenote can add similar functions, I can note every things in onenote only!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base