OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. OneNote Should allow same concept of folders on harddrive

I am new to OneNote and have a hardtime converting my local files up to OneNote. The major problem is that once I created a NoteBook and Section everythingelse comes as a page. There is no way to easily change the NoteBook name to a Section.

This is difficult when planning my notes because I do not know if a subject I am taking notes will turn into a main folder(section) and how many sub-sections will it need.

Having NoteBook -> Section -> Pages. is not enough for me.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Properly handle Expansion/Collapse of outlines in multiple note containers on a page

When an outline in a note container is expanded, following containers are properly moved down. But, when the outline is collapsed the space inserted for the expanded note is not removed. The XML clearly shows the added space and can be edited to remove that space.
    The multiple outlines can be put in a single container, but it seems that the expansion/collapse of note containers could be handled pro grammatically.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Book access

the ability to remove access from a device. ie, i have downloaded a book to a device and no longer have access to that device to remove it. by adding a password i have protected the data but can no longer access it from my other mobile devices and in a way have lost the usability of the book.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Grouping and locking of notes on ppt and pdfs.

Onenote is designed for taking notes but if I'm in a lecture with a power point open in onenote and I annotate with text and pictures these won't stay locked or grouped to the slide I just wrote on. If there was an option to lock notes or drawings done on onenote so when I rescale or move slides the notes stay beside or on the relevant slide/page.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a qr code reader to the insert menu

Add a qr code reader to the insert menu

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Alt+shift-left and right in tables to move columns the same as up and down to move rows.

You can currently move an entire row up or down using the keyboard shortcut of alt+shift+up/down, but you can't do this with columns. I want to be able to move columns left and right as well.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve audio recording and write syncing

Now, in the Onenote for Windows, there is a sort of audio syncing with the notes you are taking (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOerTodG3Ks) , but I see some faults in this feature right now.
    1- The audio appears as a linked file without any info.
    2- Where is this feature advertised? I learned it from Youtube, I didn't see anything about it neither in the app neither Onenote's social media... Great features without advertising is like if they were not.

So, I propose:
    1- Embed an audio timeline ad the begin of the note, where we can see the audio volume…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make OneNote intelligent

There need to be much more real Artificial Intelligence in OneNote, Artificial Intelligence that work the way the intelligence of a human work. OneNote need to understand context, why it is being used at this very moment and what the goal of the user is.
    This needs to be constantly updated and reevaluated.

You need to develop a Brain at the very center of OneNote that learns and understand the user and this can not be build using traditional AI-algorithms (since they have nothing to do with real intelligence). You need to use the new approach to real AI where…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Automatic tag summaries

In OneNote, you can create a summary page for any tag, which creates a list of all items with specific tags in a new page. The feature is useful, but would be more so if the list would be updated when a new item is tagged. This way it would be easy to keep a few pages as a sort of dashboard of important tags. Personally, I would like to have this feature to have automatic lists of items that have tags such as important, shopping, to do (in different contexts) and x project.

Other related features that would also…

490 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. File explorer view

When using a page, section, or notebook to organize files in context, it would be efficient to offer a file explorer tab within OneNote. So, when I click on that tab, I can see and search only files organized in a lid or by OneNote item (page section etc.) A file only view. This would also help to preview pics when there are several in a page.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. restore OneNote 2010 stylus behaviour

In OneNote 2010 the stylus behaviour was fantastic! In OneNote 2013 it seems seriously broken compared to 2010. It seriously degrades the functionality when working on a tablet.

PLEASE, bring the functionality back to the 2010 standaard.

Thus:
    - ability to use pen flicks (cut, copy, paste) on both tekst and drawings.
    - ability to select text with stylus
    - ability to use erase button on stylus

all at the same time!

The option for "automatic switching between inking, selecting, typing and panning" simply doesn't work in practice. Either enabled or disabled, the functionality is severely limited compared to OneNote2010.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add option for inserting TAB character by using Shift-TAB

In most situtation i love how the Tab key easily creates tables. However, in some situation i DO want to use the Tab character as well. And that is now extremely cumbersome.

It would help enormously if the Tab character functionality restored, for example by pressing Shift-Tab.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. To Do's: When you create a checklist of To Do's that are all indented below another To Do...

To Do's: When you create a checklist of To Do's that are all indented below another To Do, allow the "parent" To Do to be unchecked or checked so that all of the To Do's below it will do the same.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Sync/send Outlook categories to OneNote along with the meeting/task/email

I use categories within Outlook to group emails, meetings and tasks. I do the same in OneNote using tags. It would be extremely helpful to have the category of a meeting, an email or a task to come over to OneNote along with the Outlook object when I click the "send to onenote" button in Outlook.

Having Outlook categories become OneNote tags and vice versa when they are created in either application would make this functionality even better.

124 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide the ability to give Ownership to someone else

Can you please add functionality to transfer the Ownership of a Notebook to another user. For example I am the Owner and am leaving my company or am no longer responsible for the Notebook.

At the moment there is no way of transferring the Ownership to another user.

173 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Prevent users with "View" access from seeing who the Notebook is shared with

When a User who ONLY has View access goes to share a Notebook they can see EVERYONE that the Notebook is shared with. This is a major security/ privacy issue and pointless given that they only have "View" access (so they can’t edit the Notebook/ create content, etc.)

As I'm sharing Notebooks with several customers from OneDrive all of whom only have "View" access I don't want them to be able to see everyone the Notebook is shared with and be able to harvest names and email addresses.

Could you therefore please change it so that only users with "Owner/…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add RMS support in OneNote

Please add RMS support in OneNote. At the moment wen someone opens a shared Notebook in any of the Clients a copy is downloaded locally. If I revoke a user's access to the Notebook this cached copy remains which is a security risk.

115 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Display files with small icon and long title.

The current way icons for files are displayed wastes a huge amount of space and uterly useless. Right now I am looking at an entire page filled with giant Word Document icons and the words "Training Request ..." and this is only 8 files. 8 files fill an entire page. What use is the giant icon? The type of the file is secondary to the title. So why do you occupy 80% of the space with the icon and leave only a tiny space for the title. Why is the title below the icon? If you drag multiple files to…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base