OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Replay Ink as an Animation

To present ideas that build up incrementally as you accompany them with an explanation, it would be useful to play back the ink marks as an animation in the same way that animations are handled in PowerPoint.

My daughter has an 'art' app for the iPad that does this. The effect as she replays the ink strokes is striking, and I imagine it could be persuasive in a business setting. It's potentially a great way to present the thinking behind an idea graphically.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Drawing

Use the fine drawing tool used in other Office programs. The drawing tool in OneNote leave much to be improved. It is not possible to attach ie a circle to a photo. If you insert text over the photo, the photo will move but the circle will stay.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. If I make a list in onenote, I want to sort it alphabetically - pls fix.

If I make a list in onenote, I want to sort it alphabetically - pls fix.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. allow custom image and object rotation

In addition to select a picture, object, hand-written drawing and rotate by 90 degrees, offer user the ability to do a custom rotation such as 37 degrees. This will help if something hand drawn is not "even" and you do not want to re-draw the picture.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Touch tap "right-click" issue

The following issue has been present since the release of Windows 10. A Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3 using OneNote 2013 or OneNote 2016 will at times begin treating touch tap as a "right-click" action. The touch tap "right-click" issue is not limited to the OneNote application but is system wide.

The common factors for the issue have been
    1. Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3
    2. Windows 10
    3. OneNote 2013 or OneNote 2016.

The issue is present in the latest versions of OneNote.
    OneNote 2016 v16.0.4229.1024
    OneNote 2013 v15.0.4753.1003

Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 Professional "th1 10240…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Sketching experience that takes the best of Sketchbook and Paper

Create a drawing experience that takes the best of Autodesk Sketchbook and Paper by Fifty Three so I can sketch more easily along side my typed notes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 希望onenote有像word里面SmartArt的功能

这样方便使用onenote作为只是管理的人用来做思维导图,不是方便很多吗

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sorting created notes by date, time or tittle, modified, ascending or descending.

Hi there!

Would be nice to sort the created notes by the aforementioned options above. "by date, time or tittle, modified, ascending or descending", just like OneDrive does..!!

Thanks in advance..!!

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make the page pane collapsible

Just like the navigation pane in Access can be easily collapsed into a slim gray bar when it's not needed, I'd love to see the page pane with a collapse button. It gets in the way when working with two windows snapped side-by-side (and resizing the page pane doesn't go small enough to get it out of the way).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ingesting a Directory of Documents

My department has a ton of paperwork and binders which I would love to take into the digital realm. I would love it if you could point Onenote to an existing directory structure and have onenote automatically build a notebook or database of proxies/originals from that existing folder structure. This would be similar to what image DAMs like Lightroom, etc. do but for documents.

My hope would be that once digitized, organized, and tagged in Onenote simple searches could be run, and one could take advantage of OCR (on PDFs/images). Onenote could be like a front-end interface for a whole…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Use OCR to automatically highlight/underline text

I'm a medical student and I import a handful of lectures from PowerPoint each day into OneNote. I have seen classmates with iPads be able to highlight and underline text very cleanly. The apps they use detect text and interact with it. OneNote should have this feature.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Default to the current Notebook when creating a Hyperlink

It would be REALLY useful when creating a hyperlink if OneNote defaulted to the current Notebook rather than displaying a list of ALL Notebooks.

This would save me every time I want to create a link having to scroll down a list of Notebooks to get to the current one and then expand the relevant sections, etc.

Maybe a toggle would be better i.e. the current behaviour or default to the current Notebook when the “Link” screen is displayed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. i have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 Pro and a clean fresh install of Microsoft Office 2016 64-bit with my Office 365 subscription

I am unable to load OneNote 2016 with the pen click option. It currently loads OneNote (metro).
    its a major downside for me as i use this option regularly at work as iam a teaching assistant and i prefer the desktop version over the app
    please help i was about to cancel my subscription and get back to office 2013 as i did meet this prob while using it

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow editing rights per tab and page

I am using OneNote to record periodic progress reviews with units in my company. Tabs are used for each periodic review. However after a period when they have the chance to update/complete any information. the review (the tab) should not be modifiable anymore, so it becomes a historical record.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Upgrade pen and draw. Upgrade the size of the paper.

You know, i think you should add the dash line in draw and make the draw naturally when page in rule lines. Finally, i want to record my lecture for student. I use onenote like a board and i want you add option board in the size of paper. "Board" has property : fixed height and automatic (no limit) length. Beside, i think you should add clear option for eraser. That's all. Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Reminders

Option to put reminders within OneNote, do not ask us to use Outlook for that.
    Best option is to integrate all good features of Wunderlist and still retaining great features of OneNote. Combination will be deadly and nothing will be able to beat OneNote.

602 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

113 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Quick Navigation or History Navigation

OneNote needs a way to quickly navigate from page to page across notebooks.

Tag Navigation: One way to do this would be to allow users to utilize tags. Then to allow them to have an improved Tags Summary panel that allows users to further filter down the list of tags. The problem with using the existing Tag Summary is that you can't effectively filter down only the tags you are interested in. I image an advanced feature in Tags Summary that allows me to filter tags further that only show specific tags. Or tags created by me.

History Navigation
    OneNote…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. [User experience: Copying objects with CTRL + drag/drop] User Experience: Kopieren von Objekte mit STRG + Drag/Drop

Wie in anderen Programmen sollte der Quasi-Standard auch in OneNote einsetzbar sein: Ein zu kopierendes Objekt, z.B. Textfeld wird markiert und wird mit Dücken von STRG + Drag&Drop kopiert.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. User Experience: Wortweises Markieren nach Doppelklick

Für die Textauswahl wäre ein gleiches Verhalten, wie in den Office-Produkten sinnvoll: Doppelclick markiert ein Wort, bei Ziehen der Maus werden weitere ganze Worte markiert, derzeit (OneNote 2013) klebt die Markierung auf dem ursprünglich markierten Wort.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow 3rd party storage locations in OneNote like you have for the rest of the Office Suite.

Our company is migrating to Citrix Sharefile and will stop allowing other cloud storage options (including OneDrive). I work almost exclusively out of OneNote every day but won't be able to use it as effectively unless OneNote includes a 3rd party storage location (ShareFile).

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base