OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Scan to Contacts (OCR)

The ability to scan business cards straight to Contacts would be fantastic.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Creating hyperlinks by dragging and dropping internet shortcut files in OneNote for desktop

Please enable creating hyperlinks in OneNote by dragging and dropping internet shortcut files into OneNote.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Using office lens without internet/OneNote

Office Lens would be perfect if we could also use it without any Synchronisation (OneNote/Internet). If the Picture would just to be found in the Gallery (under saved Pictures e.g.)

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 Button camera app option and better cameras in windows tablets for taking picture of the board or scanning

If you are a student in class and want to take a picture of the board very fast in either desktop or metro onenote, there should be a button to do that. And better cameras on windows tablets.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Attach templates to notebooks

At the moment templates are attached to users not workbooks. It would be good to be able to optionally attach them to shared workbooks to ensure when anyone creates a new page it's created using this template.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to redefine the inbuilt styles

Add the ability to redefine the inbuilt styles, ideally with the option of linking the new styles to the notebook's section for all users of the notebook. By doing this the "owner" of a shared notebook could define the styles for a particular section which would be automatically used whenever a new page is created by anyone.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Capture document links from other Office applications ...

I used OneNote as my central repository for all digial assets I use. I would like to be able to go to a single place ( OneNote ) and have a complete history of all activity pertaining to a particular topic. When opening and editing documents stored on file system or in SharePoint, I doesn't make sense to keep a second copy in OneNote but I would like to be able to keep track of all the document links. Perhaps include an option so that when a document is opened and edited in Word / Excel / PowerPoint / etc.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Onenote with TheBrain software features: high end notetaking killer app

TheBrain: I like to organize Onenote pages not in tree mode but like TheBrain mind emulation software... with parent, child, sibling organization/link between Onenote pages

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Build OneNote into Outlook. Contrary to those who write to decouple from outlook

Build OneNote into Outlook. The heart and soul of the Office suite is Outlook. Having to open OneNote is a pain. It should be integrated with Outlook. Outlook's notes are "cute" but would be awesome if they had OneNote features.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. in metro version of oneNote, allow a double red line as the left margin... just like legal pads

Many legal pads have a double line to designate the left margin. It is useful to have this line all the way down the page (vertically) when making lists. I put my "check box" (the little box the forms if you hit cntrl+1) on the left side of the double line and then I put my priority ranking (1,2,3,4) on the right side of the margin. I usually strike through when done and / or check the box.

It would also help if there was a way to auto re-arrange the list by priority number (the number on the right…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. rotate "send to OneNote" Print-out / Printout / Printouts / Print-outs

Right now if you send a PDF to One-Note it sends it in the form of a PrintOut.

These printouts cannot be rotated.

The same is true when sending a word document or JPEG to oneNote. It is very hard to change the orientation once it is in OneNote.

145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. On Surface Pro 3, sometimes my stroke is not recognized in the handwriting version of the on-screen keyboard

If I use the on-screen keyboard with stylus and hand-writing detection that I think has been around with windows for a while on the Surface Pro 3, often my first stroke is not recognized.

Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ink support on mobile platforms

I take lots of notes and visualizations in class, and it would be great if we could at least view them in the mobile apps.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Let us view formulas on mobile platforms

For university, I use OneNote to take a lot of formulas. It would be great to at least view them across all platforms, so that I could e.g. learn them while being on the go.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bigger mouse pointer with graphic tablets

Make the mouse pointer appearance adjustable (size, style e.g. crosshair) when using a graphic tablet. With small strokes the pointer is so tiny that it is almost impossible to see where you currently pointing until you actually write something.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Quick links for TOC

We have the ability to create links, but a great feature would be to secondary click (right click) and add TOC link. We would basically be building a linked navigation throughout our pages and notebooks quickly. For example: I am down a page quite a ways and I get to a new topic. I click add TOC link; not only would OneNote place a link at the beginning of the page with the text that I type for this link, but it would also place a back to top link side by side the link I created. It would allow…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Template items, shapes, drawings

In classes like chemistry, math, science related, there are often several types of graphs, shapes, equations, etc that are used. Equation editor already allows this, but this is for the others. I would like to create a shape or drawing and save it into templates to quickly access later throughout all my notebooks or maybe make it notebook specific. This would really speed it up for creating.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Audio, Powerpoint, Handwritting Sync

For educational use, there needs to be a way to sync the audio with the handwritten notes taken on a powerpoint presentation, and have this able to be played back in OneNote. Powerpoint often provides animations and other things that can only be represented through powerpoint. So my suggestion is allowing the user that takes written notes or draws on the powerpoint as it is given or advanced, to be embedded into a OneNote page. This would be different than screen recording because hopefully it would take a lot less storage to just have audio tied to handwriting on a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enhanced de- and encrypt functionality

I need to crypt different Objekts in OneNote with different Passworts. Because of that i Need a Master Passwort System. So that i can handle all Objekts with different Passworts by using just one Passwort. Exempel: I Share a OneNote Notebook with a Customer with insensible datas. But i cant give my Passwort to the Constumer, so I have to use a different Passwort for him. And with another Constumer, i have to Share another Notebook and so one, because i have many costumers.
    Very important is that this Feature will work on all my Devises (windowsphone, windowstablet, PC)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When OneNote is updated, Send to OneNote should not make itself the default printer

After OneNote is updated, Send to OneNote often becomes the default printer, notably if the regular default printer is the Microsoft XPS Document Writer. The OneNote installer should respect the default printer that the user had selected prior to updating OneNote.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base