OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Insert Video and take photos in OneNote Desktop on Windows RT

Please enable OneNote 2013 Desktop on Windows RT to insert video from camera and microphone and take Pictures With Device camera.

The OneNote Desktop does not support this feature which makes it hard to use OneNote Desktop on Windows RT for flipped classroom and recording of tutoring videos

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add "Track Changes" from Word and "Versioning" for notebooks, sections, and pages.

Our product development team has found that OneNote is a very powerful tool for requirement / user story creation and tracking because of it's excellent layout organization but it lacks some of the advanced "Review" functionality from Microsoft Word that would put it over the top.

I'd like to see "Track changes" for users. This would help collaborators view changes made while they were not present in the notebook.

I'd also like to see versioning for notebooks, sections, and pages. This would include the ability to do a major or minor update as well as lock down a version from…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please let OneNote format and print ruled pages properly.

I would love to use and fulfill OneNote's purpose, but I am forced to use Windows Journal as I need to have the ability to properly print an 8.5"x11" college ruled paper. I have attempted to recreate this in OneNote without success as it doesn't let me specify line spacing (including margin) so that the paper is actually college ruled (33 lines). It also will not print a sheet of paper like this on one page as it seemingly splits the margin and body onto separate pages. Please let users create specific pages with specific line and margin spacing, and…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. me@OneNote.com - like feature for OneNote enterprise

I love the me@OneNote.com feature for OneNote Online and wish the same kind of feature were available for our OneNote enterprise application at work. Among other things, it could be used to help with a repository like the one described here - http://alistapart.com/article/connected-ux .

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PLEASE make a proper EXCEL CLOUD FILE INTEGRATION. I would like to have an excel file updated when I edit it in OneNote or in OneDrive

PLEASE make a proper EXCEL CLOUD FILE INTEGRATION. I would like to have an excel file updated when I edit it in OneNote or in OneDrive

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Windows Phone: Sync, Create, Assign, Search Tags

a) I would like to have the ability to assing an existing (or create a new) Tag to a note in a page,
    b) Also that the list of possible Tags to use is syncronized with my desktop application. This means I can use the same tags on every device, or If I create a Tag in the Phone, it is also availbel for use in my pc or other device where the same notebook is being accessed.
    c) and also I would like to have the possibility to have a Tag search or summary section where I could display…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. ability to make pages sub-pages in Windows Phone 8 app - not much!

ability to make pages sub-pages in Windows Phone 8 app - not much!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Link to emails without having to insert a picture that throws off the formatting of your document.

The only options to link tasks to email are either by dragging the email to onenote as an attachment or inserting the entire email into your onenote page. I would love for a way to hyperlink text to an email or create a small icon, just like the to-do button that will let me locate and link to an email.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Lumia OneNote

I have seen a prototype online that a phone with Windows Phone operation system including a stylus (similar to Samsung Note I, II and III) may be launched.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Create templates(Pictures, Handdrawings, Text and combination of them) and save them into a list so you can paste it instanly

Please add an item in Insert menu, so you can save selected objects as template and you can paste it quickiy next time you want!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Group objects and anchor ink to text and images

Select objects (Handwritings, pictures or text) and group them using right mouse click menu to move objects easily! This also prevents unexpected shifting and enables working with multiple layers.

1,930 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

373 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Paper border

When the user selects page size, the page needs to be optimized to fit the aspect of the screen. Don't have it continue into grey. For reference, look at the android app Papyrus.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. For left handers set the 'recente notes' on the right site of the Windows 8.1 Store App

when you start writing with your pen as a left-handed writer you always thouch the ''recente notes" menu, which makes it appear on regular annoying times.. . having the capability to disable, or set it to the right will make the exeprience for left handed people much better.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Holding the start button to create a quick note

On the surface 2 or other windows devices with the "touch start button". It would be nice if you can press and hold that to open a quick note rather than looking for the app then opening it then creating a new page then typing/writing the note. I think this would be better because it is a quicker easier way to open a quick note.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Move equation cursor to first box of e.g. superscripts

When entering an equation and I choose something from the design bar (e.g. a super- or sub-script or a large operator), it would be great if the cursor got moved inside of the left-most box so I could start typing right away, rather than having to first move the cursor. In the included image, I'd like the cursor to start where the arrow is pointing, instead of where it is.

http://imgur.com/PSusSBW.png

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow pages and notebooks to be archived

Instead of deleting a page or notebook it would be nice if it could be archived/hidden but still available for future reference.

Right now I'm using subpages but it doesn't work very well in the Windows store and Android apps, subpages can't be collapsed for example.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. make it possible to copy link to a page which you can paste in any other application like microsoft money

i manage my finances in ms money which supports linking to a file
    i store my bill scans and credit card statements in onenote
    i tried to attach them to related entry in onenote but it doesnt work
    so please make it possible to copy and paste link to a page in any software

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to merge cells in a table

I like to categorize and formulate lists in a specific format. The inability to merge cells and make a header row for my categorization makes it difficult. I realize that other tools like Word and Excel can provide more robust table formatting tools, however, basic formatting like merge cells would be nice.

1,160 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

257 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring screenshot functionaility in line with other Office programs

Currently when you want to take a screenshot in OneNote you are limited to screen clippings where you drag a rectangle over the area of the screen you want to clip.

In other Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) you can do this, but you can also select from thumbnails of individual windows to clip right from within the ribbon. This makes taking screenshots of individual windows very fast.

Please add this to OneNote

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Shell.Application FolderFiles menu when right clicking attachment files

We are missing full or partly Shell Folder menu for text file type formats (.txt, .cmd, .ini, .reg, .xml, .ps1 etc). OneNote only has basic menus: Open, Save As and Rename but missing Edit, Print, Open With.., Open Location, Properties.

We want the ability to Edit none binary files. I assume the implementation in developer perspective is to include Shell FolderFiles object when right click the attachment in the page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base